• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Help optomize GUI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hey guys.
I am working on a trigger that casts bloodlust when a unit enters a region. The problem is, there are about 50 regions and each region can only be used once. To solve THAT problem, I have the trigger turn itself off, but that stops me from being able to just combine all the triggers in one. I was wondering if there was any way to optimize this trigger in GUI (or Jass, if need be).

Also, I am new to triggers and if you could just tell me if I removed all leaks properly, or missed something, that'd be great!

• LVL 01 BLOOD 1
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit enters LVL 01 BLOOD 1 <gen>
    • Conditions
      • (Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) Equal to Dead Girl
    • Actions
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • ((Triggering unit) has buff Period Blood LVL 1) Equal to True
        • Then - Actions
          • Set TempLocation[1] = (Position of (Entering unit))
          • Unit - Create 1 Dummy Unit for Neutral Passive at TempLocation[1] facing Default building facing degrees
          • Unit - Add a 1.00 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
          • Unit - Add Period Blood LVL 2 to (Last created unit)
          • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Orc Shaman - Bloodlust (Entering unit)
          • Custom script: call RemoveLocation (udg_TempLocation[1])
          • Trigger - Turn off (This trigger)
        • Else - Actions
            • If - Conditions
              • ((Triggering unit) has buff Period Blood LVL 2) Equal to True
            • Then - Actions
              • Unit - Create 1 Dummy Unit for Neutral Passive at TempLocation[1] facing Default building facing degrees
              • Unit - Add Period Blood LVL 3 to (Last created unit)
            • Else - Actions
                • If - Conditions
                  • ((Triggering unit) has buff Period Blood LVL 3) Equal to True
                • Then - Actions
                  • Unit - Add Period Blood LVL 4 to (Last created unit)
                • Else - Actions
                    • If - Conditions
                      • ((Triggering unit) has buff Period Blood LVL 4) Equal to True
                    • Then - Actions
                      • Unit - Add Period Blood LVL 5 to (Last created unit)
                    • Else - Actions
                        • If - Conditions
                          • ((Triggering unit) has buff Period Blood LVL 5) Equal to True
                        • Then - Actions
                          • Unit - Add Period Blood LVL 6 to (Last created unit)
                        • Else - Actions
                            • If - Conditions
                              • ((Triggering unit) has buff Period Blood LVL 6) Equal to True
                            • Then - Actions
                              • Unit - Add Period Blood LVL 7 to (Last created unit)
                            • Else - Actions
                                • If - Conditions
                                  • ((Triggering unit) has buff Period Blood LVL 7) Equal to True
                                • Then - Actions
                                  • Unit - Add Period Blood LVL 8 to (Last created unit)
                                • Else - Actions
                                    • If - Conditions
                                      • ((Triggering unit) has buff Period Blood LVL 8) Equal to True
                                    • Then - Actions
                                      • Unit - Add Period Blood LVL 9 to (Last created unit)
                                    • Else - Actions
                                        • If - Conditions
                                          • ((Triggering unit) has buff Period Blood LVL 9) Equal to True
                                        • Then - Actions
                                          • Unit - Add Period Blood LVL 10 to (Last created unit)
                                        • Else - Actions
                                            • If - Conditions
                                              • ((Triggering unit) has buff Period Blood LVL 10) Equal to True
                                            • Then - Actions
                                            • Else - Actions
                                              • Unit - Add Period Blood LVL 1 to (Last created unit)

• You can use this custom script:
    • Custom script: call RemoveRegion(GetTriggeringRegion())
    ^This operation will remove the triggering region, so the even't won't fire anymore.
  • Store TriggeringUnit into a variable to reduce amount of function calls.
  • For the "checks"- opmization I suggest you to store buffs into variables and creating only one Bloodlust ability, but with multiple levels.
  • I suggest you to use one global dummy, that doesn't need to be neither removed, nor re-created.

The result could look like this:

Init trigger:
  • Unit - Create Dummy
  • Unit - Add Bloodlust to Dummy
  • Set Buff[1] = Buff Level 1
  • Set Buff[2] = Buff Level 2
  • Set Buff[10] = Buff Level 10

Enter:
  • Set udg_Unit = TriggeringUnit
  • For each (Integer i) from 1 to 10, do (Actions)
    • Loop - Actions
        • If - Conditions
          • ((udg_Unit) has buff Buff[i] == True
        • Then - Actions
          • If - Conditions
            • ( i == 10)
          • Then - Actions
            • Unit - Set Level of Bloodlust for Dummy to < 1 >
          • Else - Actions
            • Unit - Set Level of Bloodlust for Dummy to < i + 1 >
          • Unit - Order Dummy to Bloodlust to udg_Unit
        • Else - Actions
^We loop though all buffs and check if the unit has one of them. If the condition is true we change the level of bloodlust for dummy to the correct level and order him to cast.

There could be an other approach with hashtable, but idk how you work with hashtables... so maybe this is good enough.

Level 3

• Period Blood INT
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Unit - Create 1 Dummy Unit for Neutral Passive at (Center of (Playable map area)) facing Default building facing degrees
      • Unit - Add Period Blood to (Last created unit)
      • Set PeriodBlood_Dummy = (Last created unit)
      • Set PeriodBlood_Buff[1] = Period Blood LVL 1
      • Set PeriodBlood_Buff[2] = Period Blood LVL 2
      • Set PeriodBlood_Buff[3] = Period Blood LVL 3
      • Set PeriodBlood_Buff[4] = Period Blood LVL 4
      • Set....
  • Period Blood Regions
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit enters LVL 02 BLOOD 1 <gen>
      • Unit - A unit enters LVL 02 BLOOD 2 <gen>
      • Unit - ....
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set PeriodBlood_Unit = (Triggering unit)
      • For each (Integer A) from 1 to 10, do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
            • If - Conditions
              • (PeriodBlood_Unit has buff PeriodBlood_Buff[(Integer A)]) Equal to True
            • Then - Actions
              • Unit - Set level of Period Blood for PeriodBlood_Dummy to ((Integer A) + 1)
            • Else - Actions
              • Unit - Set level of Period Blood for PeriodBlood_Dummy to 1
          • Unit - Order PeriodBlood_Dummy to Orc Shaman - Bloodlust PeriodBlood_Unit
I have been at it for a few hours, thinking at the start that this would be an easy fix.
Before I begin, thanks for teaching me about the RemoveRegion function! Never knew about it before.
Anyways, few issues;
This only gives the level 1 buff and I can't figure out why. I can make it give the higher lvl buffs if I remove the function that sets the ability to level 1, but if I do that, then the unit will always get a better buff. These buffs have time limits (10 seconds) and after they lose the buff, I want the trigger to restart them at 1. This doesn't happen if I remove the function that sets the ability back to 1.
I can't rely on the buff ever reaching 10 since its near impossible and there may be another unit with no buff step onto a region.

Also, when I DO remove the function that sets the ability to 1, when it gives the higher level buffs, the buff icon is removed until you lose the buff and have to get it again. This is weird and I would like to keep the buff icon if possible.

I'm not sure I quite undestood all you mentioned, but there is logical mistake in your loop.
The "Set Level of ability" and the "Order unit to cast" operations should ONLY run under condition if Unit has buff == true.
You cast at each iteration of loop. Compare our 2 loops more carefully. In mine, there is an additional integer comparison.

Level 3
Hey, thanks for all your help so far.

I think I didnt explain what the function was suppose to do well enough.
Basically, there are 11 players and none of them have a buff. When one enters one of the regions, it should check IF they have a buff. If they do not, it should give them the level 1 buff (which lasts 10 seconds), if they already have a buff, it needs to give them that buff lvl +1.

The problem is, your function and explanation of it seem to only work if the unit STARTS with a buff. I also need it to work if they dont. That is why I was trying to cast it without the condition buff=true.

I have tried your function verbatim and im sure it would work if the unit started with the buff but it doesn't so that is where I am stuck. Everything else was me trying to work through the problem alone ;)

• Period Blood Regions
    • Events
      • Unit - .....
    • Conditions
    • Actions
        • Loop - Actions
            • If - Conditions
            • Then - Actions
                • If - Conditions
                  • (Integer A) Equal to 10
                • Then - Actions
                • Else - Actions
            • Else - Actions

Oops, I've mixed up your very last 'else' block with an 'then' block.

But anyway. Loop through all buffs and if condition is correct do needed action.
If no buff was matching, that logicaly means that the unit has no buff of the list. So then cast with level 1.

You can use a help boolean variable for example to check if a buff comparison was "true" inside the loop.
Check the boolean after the loop to see if you need to cast with level 1 or just do nothing.

Level 3

• Period Blood Regions
    • Events
      • Unit - .......
    • Conditions
    • Actions
        • Loop - Actions
            • If - Conditions
            • Then - Actions
            • Else - Actions
                • If - Conditions
                  • (PeriodBlood_Unit has buff PeriodBlood_Buff[(Integer A)]) Equal to False
                • Then - Actions
                • Else - Actions
  • Period Blood Regions
    • Events
      • Unit - ....
    • Conditions
    • Actions
        • Loop - Actions
            • If - Conditions
            • Then - Actions
            • Else - Actions

I have tested both of these and neither work. Again, they only give the level 1 buff. So I went back to the beginning and recreated my original trigger but with the global dummy so I don't have to recreate it and with the removeregion script. This was the result:

• Blood
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit enters LVL 02 BLOOD 1 <gen>
      • Unit - A unit enters LVL 02 BLOOD 2 <gen>
      • Unit - A unit enters LVL 02 BLOOD 3 <gen>
      • Unit - A unit enters LVL 02 BLOOD 4 <gen>
      • Unit - A unit enters LVL 02 BLOOD 5 <gen>
      • Unit - A unit enters LVL 03 BLOOD 1 <gen>
      • Unit - A unit enters LVL 03 BLOOD 2 <gen>
      • Unit - A unit enters LVL 03 BLOOD 3 <gen>
      • Unit - A unit enters LVL 03 BLOOD 4 <gen>
      • Unit - A unit enters LVL 04 BLOOD 1 <gen>
      • Unit - A unit enters LVL 04 BLOOD 2 <gen>
      • Unit - A unit enters LVL 04 BLOOD 3 <gen>
      • Unit - A unit enters LVL 05 BLOOD 1 <gen>
      • Unit - A unit enters LVL 05 BLOOD 10 <gen>
    • Conditions
      • (Unit-type of (Entering unit)) Equal to Dead Girl
    • Actions
        • If - Conditions
          • (PeriodBlood_Unit has buff Period Blood LVL 1) Equal to True
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit - Set level of Period Blood for PeriodBlood_Dummy to 2
        • Else - Actions
            • If - Conditions
              • (PeriodBlood_Unit has buff Period Blood LVL 2) Equal to True
            • Then - Actions
              • Unit - Set level of Period Blood for PeriodBlood_Dummy to 3
            • Else - Actions
                • If - Conditions
                  • (PeriodBlood_Unit has buff Period Blood LVL 3) Equal to True
                • Then - Actions
                  • Unit - Set level of Period Blood for PeriodBlood_Dummy to 4
                • Else - Actions
                    • If - Conditions
                      • (PeriodBlood_Unit has buff Period Blood LVL 4) Equal to True
                    • Then - Actions
                      • Unit - Set level of Period Blood for PeriodBlood_Dummy to 5
                    • Else - Actions
                        • If - Conditions
                          • (PeriodBlood_Unit has buff Period Blood LVL 5) Equal to True
                        • Then - Actions
                          • Unit - Set level of Period Blood for PeriodBlood_Dummy to 6
                        • Else - Actions
                            • If - Conditions
                              • (PeriodBlood_Unit has buff Period Blood LVL 6) Equal to True
                            • Then - Actions
                              • Unit - Set level of Period Blood for PeriodBlood_Dummy to 7
                            • Else - Actions
                                • If - Conditions
                                  • (PeriodBlood_Unit has buff Period Blood LVL 7) Equal to True
                                • Then - Actions
                                  • Unit - Set level of Period Blood for PeriodBlood_Dummy to 8
                                • Else - Actions
                                    • If - Conditions
                                      • (PeriodBlood_Unit has buff Period Blood LVL 8) Equal to True
                                    • Then - Actions
                                      • Unit - Set level of Period Blood for PeriodBlood_Dummy to 9
                                    • Else - Actions
                                        • If - Conditions
                                          • (PeriodBlood_Unit has buff Period Blood LVL 9) Equal to True
                                        • Then - Actions
                                          • Unit - Set level of Period Blood for PeriodBlood_Dummy to 10
                                        • Else - Actions
                                            • If - Conditions
                                              • (PeriodBlood_Unit has buff Period Blood LVL 10) Equal to True
                                            • Then - Actions
                                              • Unit - Set level of Period Blood for PeriodBlood_Dummy to 10
                                            • Else - Actions
The problem is, the first time you get a certain buff, whatever buff it may be, it's icon doesn't show up. If you lose the buff then get it again, it will show up properly. Don't think this is an issue with the trigger, but if anyone can figure it out that'd be great. Otherwise, this version of the trigger is the only one that has worked so far.

I think there might be some sort of glitch where if you have a certain buff then get another higher level version of that same buff, the icon disappears on the buff'ed unit. Is this preventable?

Level 3
Wow! Thanks a bunch man. It works perfectly. Though, that strange bug with the buff still persists. But I think its an issue with how WC3 works, so Ill just ignore it.

The map is suppose to be a spin off of the "Escape Gay " maze series. Instead of guys and gay priests, itll be girls and lesbian nuns. :D

EDIT: I tried to make my own INT instead of using the "Integer A" built in, but it still didn't work. The "Skip remaining actions" function seems to be what I was missing when I tried that. Again, I never knew about it! Thanks a bunch of helping me optimize this trigger. This looks way more efficient than what I had originally.

Level 3
Basically, when you step on the first region, you get the level 1 buff and the little icon shows up on your unit but when you step on any other region while you have the previous buff still, it goes away. You get the buff and the trigger works fine BUT the icon that SHOWS you have the buff (and what level the buff is) disappears. This is fixed, however, when you lose the buff and get it again.

Lets say you step on 4 regions consecutively giving you the first four buffs. The first icon shows up, the next three do not (and the first icon disappears). If you lose the buff then step on 6 regions, the first FOUR buff icons show up, but the 5th and 6th do not. Its annoying but I can live with it.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
A structure (parallel arrays) could be used to perform the behaviour lookup and resulting ability in a loop. This might not be faster (speed is a problem in this case, unless you have dozens of units entering every second which I doubt) but it is a lot neater as there is considerably less procedural coupling.

Status
Not open for further replies.