• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Help designing a few abilities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Hello there, fellow editors.

I am attempting to design an ability that reveals the map within a radius of 1500 from the caster and also damages and slows every enemy unit within that radius.

I also want an ensnare power that damages during the duration.

I was hoping to get some advice on how I might go about building these powers.

Level 37
I am attempting to design an ability that reveals the map within a radius of 1500 from the caster and also damages and slows every enemy unit within that radius.

Use the default Far Sight Ability and base a trigger off a unit casting this spell. Pick every unit in the location with the neccessary condition filters (enemy units, alive, etc) and create a dummy unit that will cast slow + deal the damage.

I also want an ensnare power that damages during the duration.

If you want it so that they can't attack while ensared, just use Entangling Roots. However if you want the Raider Ensnare that still allows them to attack, then you're going to have to use triggers.
  • Have a dummy unit ensare the target, and then in a loop trigger, just have the dummy unit deal damage until the duration is over through counters.

Level 16

Use the default Far Sight Ability and base a trigger off a unit casting this spell. Pick every unit in the location with the neccessary condition filters (enemy units, alive, etc) and create a dummy unit that will cast slow + deal the damage.

I've got a better idea. Use the far seer ability a mentioned above, but use the Damage and Slow that the tornado unit has (Naga Hero's ultimate ability). Create a unit which has these tornado abilities at the position of cast and set his timed life to 15 or whatever. Less triggers needed this way.

Level 25
Well do you want the ability to reveal the area for 15 seconds and burn all units that were around the caster at the time of casting the spell.

or

Reveal the map and continue to burn enemy units, even new ones that enter the area, for 15 seconds.

Level 6
Thanks for the tips, guys!
I'm just getting back into editing after over half a decade away.
And while many of my old skills remained, I never used dummy units before. This single, simple concept is immediately opening up an insane quality of possibilities I'd never considered before.

...so much so that I've nearly lost interest in what I was doing already...
Meh.

EDIT:
I'm having trouble figuring out exactly how to make this work via the dummy unit method.
If you could post some triggers as an example of this, it would really save me a lot of time screwing around trying to figure it out on my own.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.