• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Help deciding on class system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Id like opinions on how to do my class system for my rpg.

These are the 2 ways that i could come up with atm:

1. The original W3 style - You choose a class in the beggining of the game, you can advance his spells and get new spells that are class-unique as the game progresses.

2. You start class-less, but can pick background, traits and basic equipment, aswell as some basic abilities. In time you can join guilds/factions or just be teached new abilities and spells.

Please give your opinions on this and comment.
If you think both of them are bad and have something else to offer, feel free to do so. Any kind of feedback is apprichiated.

Last edited:
Level 4
Yeah, in the second one you start out with only picking some traits which change your stats and give a few basic spells but you dont start with a specific class, instead you get spells as the game advances.

For example, in the beggining you get to pick who your parents were, if you choose that your mother was a Witch, you will gain a basic nature spell.

_PV

_PV

Level 7
I'm with 2! ^_^ You should also have the hero be influenced by evil or light alignment,
E.G.
You do a quest for some a Necrolyte: "Now where did I put that damned tome of the dead? You there! find my tome to enable me to animate this pile of gore into an abomination, and I'll bestow upon you a hearty reward of [100 gold]"
-and BAM! you are now influenced by the dark with +2 points!

This way you can unlock a much larger variety of spells. Like if the hero excels at fire-mancing, The darkness alignment can modify the plain 'ol "Fireball" to also inflict a devistating "Soul rend" which does [x] damage over [x] seconds.

Just a thought when using option 2 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.