• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Hellp me with "RAM Eater" Virus !!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Please help me that virus. Its increase my RAM usage, usually its only 10% but now its 50%...

I have avast! anti virus, and had a scan, but no virus detected...

Is there anyone who have attacked by this kind of virus?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Where is this memory allocated? How do you even know it is a virus?

Often the OS will keep memory in use for the file cache. This will not show up as free memory but will show up as free-able memory in the case a process requires it. For example my computer has only 880 MB of memory free at the moment but has 4.7 GB of memory available to be freed if required.

If this memory is allocated to a process then that is a different story. However if it was I am sure you would be smart enough to turn the process off that is allocating so much memory.

On a lesser note, there is currently a bug with the latest version of Nvidia drivers with their Nvidia Shield streaming driver. Occasionally the process responsible for the streaming service will enter a bugged state and start to leak memory. In my case it would allocate well over 12 GB and cause the graphics to halt due to a bottleneck (page thrashing). If you do not use Nvidia Shield you can simply disable the process to prevent it from happening.

Level 15
okay, let me tell the story.

Usually, the RAM usage is low (below 50%), then after I insert (or plug) my friend's flash disk, the windows is not responding. Then I restart it.

After that, the RAM usage is increased to 50%...

I have tried avast boot scan and scan it with Malwarebyte (I'm glad I have them all). I have turned off many process as possible (using Advanced System Care boost), but its still the same.

And so now my memory is 50% constant. Thats strange.

Level 15
Actually I already do that by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open Task Manager.
And you know what, I tried to count the memory usage manually and its only around 100 MB (my RAM is 1 GB, its a netbook/notebook)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Usually, the RAM usage is low (below 50%), then after I insert (or plug) my friend's flash disk, the windows is not responding. Then I restart it.

After that, the RAM usage is increased to 50%...
That is to be expected until Windows finishes with the crash diagnostics. This happens after any un-expected shutdown and can last several minutes while it checks for lost data and sends off crash reports (if you have those enabled).

It could also be a buggy driver since you said it started when a USB stick was inserted (and a driver installed that caused the system to crash). Simply go to device manager and uninstall the driver. If you cannot find it, it is still there just hidden (enable viewing hidden devices). If it is still not visible then you need the unplugged device mode.

I would also tell your friend to reformat his flash drive so such a thing may not happen in future.

Level 15
Thanks for helping.

You know what? This getting strange. My ram is around 80% then I play Warcraft, and I check the RAM, it's increased only to 90%. So I thing this virus is only attack the detection, the the RAM.

And I didn't see whether my performance is decreased.

BTW, I'm using Google Chrome. And I tried to check device manager, I didn't see anything about USB. My friend believe if his flashdisk is full of virus and asked me to format it. I though my antivirus would prevent it from the virus.

Status
Not open for further replies.