• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hello and welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hi there!

Few days ago I was looking for some general hints & tips about World Editor needed for my project and I've found this great site - full of tutorials and info. And I've registred, because I'm planning to stay here much longer and I'm anxious to learn more about map making.

As you can see, my nickname is Defender (I was shocked that it was free :grin:), so I'm mostly interested in making defensive maps, like tower defense or some kind of castle siege/defense. Together with my friend we are working on a tower defense map, but with some twists (I hope :hohum:, maybe some of them aren't new).

I've to admit that we'are just starting and we haven't used World Editor for serious before, but in few days we have managed to make:
  • Dimensional Portal from which you can choose a Hero (just like Tavern, but it's a portal)
  • Spawning system for creeps with some cool effects (ie. opening portal - creeps coming out, closing portal), based on arrays - each wave can have up to four "entry points" - there is 4 paths that join together to reach the end as one, just like "all roads leads to Rome" :wink:
  • Complete path for creeps.
  • Kills count for players and leaderboard.
  • Some custom heroes, units, abilities and such.

When making all of this I've read about memory leaks and JASS - and whoa! Real coding inside of World Editor - it's my life! (I'm programming since I was 8-9 years old :grin:). I just hate clicking in GUI Trigger Editor, specially when I've complex array index and I want to change array from "A" to "B" I have to enter index again... :bored: . Right now I'm reading everything about JASS that I can find and later on I'll practice it.

Also I've recently discovered "resources" here and again - whoa! I'm so impressed.

Level 7
Hello and welcome to the Hive, Defender! Thank you for joining the Hive Workshop Community! The Hive includes alot of people like you in which cases that are map-makers trying their best and being as good as they can be. :smile:

Also since you are interested in Jass. You'll be good enough for the spells section once you get the hang of it and creating spells would be great! :grin:

In addition, good luck on your's and your friend's TD map, In hopes it will be awesome and may prosper well in Bnet. :thumbs_up:

Level 2
Thanks for welcome!

hope that I will soon see you help out others in that department ;)

I just love to help others, but since I don't know JASS yet I have made a simple php script which will make all Warcraft 3 icons from single image. I've read tutorial about icon creating and I thought that there is a single program that can turn source image into all sort of icons but W3IR dosen't make disabled autocast and it is keeping adding filename to proper name (iconnameBTNiconname etc). Also if there is a "formula" for icon names you shouldn't have to type names - it should be generated automatically...

So here is my "beta" script. Please put there some 64x64 icon (only png format for now) and post comment about it.

Also is there any program that could convert PNG into BLP? Or it has to be TGA/BMP? I can change output format so manual conversion won't be needed. I'm using PNG because it's looseless.

Level 32
Welcome to The Hive Workshop!

Greetings Defender. Excellent intro: you've made a fine start! The Hive includes many talented Warcraft III modders of all skill levels among its users. New members (especially friendly ones) are always welcome. Take a look around and enjoy your stay, may it be long and productive!

Some good places to start include:Searching the site using the above link always helps, you can learn a lot that way: just reading and learning is usually the best place to start, especially if one feels overwhelmed.

Likewise, the tutorials can really teach ALL of us a thing or two.

The chat room is cool: lots of people can answer questions there.
  • A few other tips that might help too:
    • Always search first! Did I already mention THAT? :grin:
    • When creating a new thread, make the title VERY specific: so the site's search engine (and we users) can easily understand just what the thread contains.
    • Post your new threads in the proper forum: read the descriptions of each one so that you know what to post there.
    • If all else fails, just send me a private message! I'll try to do whatever I can to help.

Level 4
WELCOME DEFENDER TO THE HIVE! i hope you have fun, id tell yuo to ask me if u need any help, but i think im gonna be asking YOU for help man :p good luck on ur map and any maps ur gonna make in the future :) u also look like a good guy so ill add you :p

Status
Not open for further replies.