• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[HD/Texturing] HD version of "Textures\CityStructures.blp"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
The Gondorian models like Gondorian Wall 2 use the texture "Textures\CityStructures.blp". However, there is no improved version of it.

The same question has been asked before: (Texture) 512x512 CityStructures.blp - faithful "HD" upscale

Maybe upscaling is too much work? Maybe a HD version would have changed the colors as well?
Otherwise, I will have to create my own Minas Tirith models with Blender I guess since I found no better models for walls and towers.

Level 2
Hello. I ran the texture through a web based upscaler and here is the result. Left side is upscaled to 512x512 and on the right side is the original, zoomed for reference. Result is actually not that bad in some areas, but leaves some tiny "spraypaint" artifacts here and there.

I attached the new one. Just needs to be converted to .tga then .blp. I imagine it would need to be renamed slightly in case upon importing it accidentally references the vanilla one. I also included one that remains at 256x256 but slightly cleaned up, which in theory should save work of having to adjust UVs of any vanilla model that is extracted and uses it.

155cddd6aaefbc32daf87fbc03c2788b.jpg

Attachments

• CityStructures_auto_x2.jpg
    CityStructures_auto_x2.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 23
  • CityStructures_auto_x1.jpg
    CityStructures_auto_x1.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 21
Level 25
Hello. I ran the texture through a web based upscaler and here is the result. Left side is upscaled to 512x512 and on the right side is the original, zoomed for reference. Result is actually not that bad in some areas, but leaves some tiny "spraypaint" artifacts here and there.

I attached the new one. Just needs to be converted to .tga then .blp. I imagine it would need to be renamed slightly in case upon importing it accidentally references the vanilla one. I also included one that remains at 256x256 but slightly cleaned up, which in theory should save work of having to adjust UVs of any vanilla model that is extracted and uses it.

155cddd6aaefbc32daf87fbc03c2788b.jpg
I didn't know it is so easy to improve the quality of a texture. I have imported the 512x512 version into my map. This is the result:

Before:
before.png

After:
after.png

It looks cleaner now but the parts below the wall look now a bit different to the part at the top. It is still an improvement for the quality I think, so thx. I wonder how far you can up scale a texture :D

Level 2
Thank you for clarifying Mythic. Wasn’t aware of those capabilities.

Some further cleanup can be done in photoshop as well. I might play around some more if I can find time. The method I tried was one from the GameUpscale subreddit that’s dedicated to this sort of thing with other options available. You can go above 2x but I don’t think it would be worth it. Wouldn’t hurt to try though. A batch upscale if done right for the major textures could make for a nice little repository too.

Level 25
Well the quality is nice now but the bottom part of the walls looks a bit strange now. You could write a short tutorial on upscaling classic textures. It would certainly help people since there are many custom skins for the classic version which could require some upscaling.

Level 2
What part are you referring to? Hard to spot from the screenshots. If you can circle the area on the model and on the texture spot it uses I’ll see if I can touch it up a bit if you’d like.

Level 2
Give this one a try. It's more clean with less of the tiny artifacts. Let me know how it looks. It looks odd in your screenshot because when the texture artist made the texture they added a shadow kind of effect to the edges of the stone to give it an inset piece of block look.

Also the middle part of the texture in the model that goes across looks a bit warped/bended at the ends. It might be from the UVs adapting to the higher res. You could scale down the one I attached below back to 256x256 and see if that fixes it.

Attachments

• CityStructures.png
    CityStructures.png
    369.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.