• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

HD Modeling Contest #2: Theme Discussion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Our first HD model contest was a success! Let's see if we can repeat it! Let the theme discussion begin for the second HD model contest!

@Moonman You mentioned earlier, you would be willing to judge the next HD model contest. Can I take you at your word? :)

SUGGESTIONS SO FAR:

1. (Broken) Draenei
  2. Burning Crusade
  3. Draenor/Outlands
  4. Burning Legion
  5. Naaru
  6. Nerubian
  7. Worker units

Last edited:
Our first HD model contest was a success! Let's see if we can repeat it! Let the theme discussion begin for the second HD model contest!

@Moonman You mentioned earlier, you would be willing to judge the next HD model contest. Can I take you at your word? :)
Yes, gladly. Would I be allowed to give vague directions to wards what a model might need (let's say remind about decay visibility and tell it's something to do with MDL edits), or would it be a pure vote cast role, no more allowed? Either way I'm up for it.

can I ask for (Broken) Draenei?
You know what, with recent Burning Crusade classic release, how about a Draenor/Outlands and maybe Burning Legion theme?
A lot of things are covered that way, Draenei, Naaru, Legion (with all their million different races), Arakkoa etc.

Now the question is are we to ask for units, heroes or buildings. I'll say buildings are quite rare yet, only know a few people besides my team who successfully attempted to make them, although not much has changed from SD to HD, it's just that not many have tried.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Yes, gladly. Would I be allowed to give vague directions to wards what a model might need (let's say remind about decay visibility and tell it's something to do with MDL edits), or would it be a pure vote cast role, no more allowed? Either way I'm up for it.
Yes, of course.

Now the question is are we to ask for units, heroes or buildings. I'll say buildings are quite rare yet, only know a few people besides my team who successfully attempted to make them, although not much has changed from SD to HD, it's just that not many have tried.
A Burning Legion theme sounds nice :) While buildings would provide a challenge for many, I think units are the optimal choice here.

Ardenaso

HD Model Reviewer
Level 33
I'd personally love to see more models / structures for the Nerubians. They only really have 1 building right now, and all their models basically do the same animations. Would like to see some using weapons for example.
hmm perhaps since also Nezar'Azret doesn't have her own unique model too; but then again the neutral creeps was just recent

Level 6
Might I suggest worker units, or is that too complicated? They're a necessary part of any custom race, and it'd be neat to flesh some out like the Draenei Laborer.

Last edited:
I like @JarHed 's idea. Workers are a staple in every custom race, and we currently have... 7? well, we have the engineer and the elf worker, but those are basically a single unit.

On the other hand, to have more draenor units is also fitting, as we had the burning crusade rerelease like two weeks ago. I'd expand it to otherworldish units, as in also units from the burning legion that weren't present in outlands (like aranasi, wyrmtongues, imp mommas or whatever new demons were implemented in legion)

By the way, I may want to participate in this one as I'm, since this morning, oficially free.

Status
Not open for further replies.