• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hawaiian Eruptions

Map Description:

Constant volcanic eruptions shaped the islands and still occur to this day, thus solidified lava streams get washed ashore with the waters of the Pacific Ocean. While the waters can evaporate, the landscape's and wildlife's alteration may remain forever.

General Information:

Hawaiian Eruptions is a melee map for 8 players. This map was made for the Melee Mapping Contest #7 - 4v4.

This melee map mainly uses Sunken Ruins tiles, but they are mixed up with different ones from other tilesets.

This map is supposed to be a hybrid between a map with strict rotational symmetry and one that promotes teaming up for creeping spots and engaging in 2v2-fights. The spawns on the outside are easier to defend due to being close to an ally and thus less exposed for pushes. While the starting creep spots are provided equally for every player, the ones with medium and higher difficulty are distributed more scarcely and thus demand communication amongst the team.

This map features three additions that help to increase its value of gameplay and replayability:

1. The possible spawns alternate between Left-vs.-Right and Top-vs.-Bottom to offer a fresh experience with different objectives and creep-routes after the initial creep spots.

2. The Mercenary Camp derives from the Village tileset as it holds the most interesting creeps in my opinion. You can acquire Kobold Tunnelers (Bash), Assassins (Hide and Envenomed Weapons), Kobold Geomancers (Slow and Abolish Magic) such as Kobold Taskmasters (Bash and Command Aura).

3. The building in the center of the map is randomized between a Fountain of Health, a Fountain of Mana and a Black Dragon Roost. So it either directly supports the players with creeping the hardest and only unique spot on the map, or it enables the acquisition of strong flying units.

This map has a total amount of:

32 green camps
18 yellow camps
3 red camps

This map also features:

4 Taverns
2 Goblin Shops
2 Marketplaces
2 Mercenary Camps
4 Goblin Laboratories
1 Fountain of Health/ Fountain of Mana/ Black Dragon Roost (randomized)
16 Gold Mines (spawn goldmines à 17,5k gold, corner expansions à 15k gold, central medium expansions à 13,5k gold, central hard expansions à 12,5 k gold)

Update:

1.1:
- switched the Mercenary Camp and the medium middle expansions
- adjusted some Creep Spots and Drops
- added an early-game Level 3 Spot with sub-Level-1 Permanent Items
- visual changes (Tileset and Doodads)
Contents

Hawaiian Eruptions (Map)

Reviews
mafe
Based on/In addition to the reviews of: https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/melee-mapping-contest-7-results.333989/ I mostly agree with the judges. But it appears that they have missed one of the more unique feature of the map, which is the...

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
Based on/In addition to the reviews of:

I mostly agree with the judges.
But it appears that they have missed one of the more unique feature of the map, which is the substantially higher-than-usual amount of gold in the mines, or didnt think it mattered. Tbh, given the layout and size of the map, games probably will end quickly relatively often, but it's still something that could occasionally have an impact with little chance of backfiring, so I like it.
Other than that, the map is indeed very standard in terms of gameplay, which I dont mind.
About creeping, I also agree with the judges that there are no real intuitive creeproutes. The creepspots themselves are fine, but some itemdrops are borderline on the lower side of the scale, maybe adding tomes at the shops or labs would remedy this.
I almost missed the random building in the center. It's a nice idea with the potential dragon roost which is also a nice twist. Unfortunately I could see units walking past this spot and getting killed by accident.
The visuals of the map are also very good and help making the map easy to understand (which might make it appear more simplistic than it is).

So over, not a fully polished map, but still quite good. I was kinda surprised to see it finish "only" in 7th place in the contest. But the gap to the top maps is really small, and in previous 4v4 contest this map would probably have finished in the top 5. Map approved.