• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hardened Skin Ignored By Dying Units

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 35
I've been using a Hardened Skin to replicate how armor functions in Starcraft (1 armor reduces damage from attacks by 1, that sort of thing), but I have recently found that if a unit fires a shot just before it dies, its attack seems to ignore Hardened Skin.

Is this normal, or is there a way around it? Thanks in advance, I'm hoping to find a workable solution to this.

Level 11
So two quick thoughts, It sounds like a generic hard coded bug, but...

1) There may be a setting in the gameplay constants to change so that units never miss or something like that. Kind of like the units on cliffs etc..

2) You'd have to use a missile system.

3) See if it's related to a certain type of attack or affects all attack types: Melee, Instant, Ranged etc.

Level 12
The easy solution is to add "Alive" and "Dead" to the allowed target list of your hardened skin ability.

However there is an issue you did not encounter yet. If a projectile of a unit which is removed from the game hits your hardened skin unit, hardened skin will never work. So make sure you don't let that happen.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Do be careful when using a SC2 like armor system that you do not allow over-inflated amounts of it. Nothing is worse than doing 1 damage to units with 300,000 HP. This is why many RTS games use percentage armor (or EHP armor like WC3) since damage is then unrelated to how much damage an attack has but rather how much of that type of damage you inflict.

Level 35
I believe it to only affect ranged units as they are dying, but I could be wrong.

I have previously tried having Alive and Dead in the check for Hardened Skin, but I didn't set it for Enemy, so that may be it :p

I agree, an SC2 like armor system can be very interesting in terms of balance and the likes, it's a lot of fun to play around with, too :p

Thanks for the help guys, I'll try changing the targets allowed when I can and I'll let you know how it goes when I do ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.