• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Happy Holidays!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 34
You sound like one of our ex-politicians who said not all words can be understood in the dictionary.
But this is true. When you search for our famous serbian vampire Arnold Paole or something like that, obviously it was mistake in translating as Arnold is not name here, and never was. It was arnaut, rank actually where mercenaries or slaves were fighting for Turkish side. And it is Pavle name not Paolo. Overall, due to translating you got totally different thing that it was meant to, thus not understandable at all, if you try to translate back you wont get anything at all. So it is true that not all things can be translated.
Now since you bring this on, if we try to communicate this on ,,English site" you would not understand shit because those words are from very old language predating even our own. This is custom, and cannot be properly translated. You would not understand. So, this has nothing to do with politicians at all, just for you being curous. And for eternal punishment you will be bombed with cyrilics even more muahaha!

Level 34
Thanks Heinvers!

@deepstrasz oh, since you are up to it. Let me try to explain you what we say. When it is ordinary day we say ,,Hello/Hai/Whats up/Greetings"... But when it is Christmas here like today and tomorrow, we always say ,,Hristos se rodi." or ,,Христос се роди" to someone. Then he replies to us ,,Vaistinu se rodi/Ваистину се роди". Instead of everyday's reply ,,Hello to you as well" or something like that. it is just common custom.
Catch is that name Christ is Hrist, but here is used word Hristos from prahistoric language. Also word ,,Vaistinu" does not exist in our language as it is from prahistoric language. It means ,,U istinu" or ,,Za istinu" or even what I understand ,,Zaista" as closest word for it which means ,,In truth/For truth or truly" something like that. Like I told before, not all things are foreseen to be translated. Especially with words which predated newer ones, which do not exist in English language and vice versa. It would not make sense. And rules especially do not understand and foresee this. if we were to talk on English, you would be confused at all.
You should know this especially as Dracula, I mean, Romanian :cgrin:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
But this is true.
Wrong translations doesn't mean translations are impossible. There are some difficult/imperfect ones but the general ideas is gotten through. But when you completely translate something like Christ is Born to Merry Christmas, it's like saying potato husk=potato salad.
The problem with translations is that it tends to be subjective when one is not knowledgeable in the language translated from.
it is just common custom.
Romanians do that sort of stuff during Easter.
word Hristos from prahistoric language.
It comes from ancient Greek, nothing prehistoric about it.

Level 34
Wrong translations doesn't mean translations are impossible. There are some difficult/imperfect ones but the general ideas is gotten through.
Oh I did not mean that it is impossible, I just wanted to say that in our case at least it often leads to confusion.
I had class on university about our ancient language. It is really mess, one of the most annoying classes I ever had.
We had several dialects, then Christianity came with ,,church language", then Turks for centuries, adapting their words, then we got our letter, which literally has ,,one letter for one voice", ( but our ancient alphabets used multiple voices for one letter, just like English has), and combine that with modern language we use now and you got really mess and chaos. That is why you cannot properly translate nothing from ancient language of ours into modern one as those words there used to explain multiple and different things, and sounded much differently.
Sufficient to say that its much easier to us translating something from English rather than from ancient language.
Oh and to all of this, add my previous example where massively they made mistakes confusing ranks with names, and those entered globally as something ,,as is" and in myths, books, stories and there you go. You get something different, something which does not exist and is hard to understand because it all came from wrong translations at first place.

Romanians do that sort of stuff during Easter.
Oh really? When do you celebrate Christmas?

It comes from ancient Greek, nothing prehistoric about it.
Yes but it is not heard for centuries here except in some old texts and in church sometimes. At least here. I did not mean prehistoric, I used word therm, I used ancient as we had different language back then which this one is based on.

Level 34
@Shar Dundred AHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAAH
We just watched it :cgrin::cgrin::cgrin:
AMERICAN RETARDISM ROCKS!!! It made me laugh. I am laughing actually now hahaha!
Oh man. Yeah it is still Christmas, yesterday was Christmas Eve, here is called called Badnji Dan ( @deepstrasz there is also not translation for that too since it means something different and is used in different customs which I call explain later).

Oh, @deepstrasz to more complex note, I forgot to tell you that we have officially two letters used, both cyrilic and latin in same time, while cyrilic is official as used by govermnent and official documents. And that movie from 2003. being spoken at modern day east part of my country had literally to have translation in capital! Yeah, they could not understand it, but we could... somewhat :cgrin:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Badnjak (Serbian) - Wikipedia

At least veseljak is said to mean the one who brings joy.

badanj - Wiktionary
Could be a superposition with something pagan or something else somehow.

What do you do on Christmas Eve, on 24th?
In Romania, people wait for carol singers to give them money as rewards for singing about Christ related things usually pertaining his birth. Before, it was fruits, food and wine.
Kids wait for Old Man Christmas (Moș Crăciun). An error though because that means Saint Nicholas comes two times a year in December. Of course, gifts during Christmas are more expensive, I mean, pompous.
In Spain for instance, it's in January that they give gifts in a day representing the event when the three magi came to Jesus.

Level 34
Badnjak (Serbian) - Wikipedia

At least veseljak is said to mean the one who brings joy.

badanj - Wiktionary
Could be a superposition with something pagan or something else somehow.
Well, veseljak is man who is happy, and brings joy with him to others, yes! You know this, as you live close to us. But Westerneers cannot understand many phrases without being explained what they mean.
People here, in various parts of country go to their woods to cut parts of those trees. They bring rakija with them (again word is used by those regions, that is alcoholic drink equivalent to whiskey or such except our is domestic, not factory created). And they burn it later. Some of them are put into house. In old villages customs are even bigger. But many things which can be explained are actually explained by words which further need explanations themselves. Often I cannot explain thing to you without using words which further need explanation themselves. :cgrin:
Also, yesterday we ate meatless food. This is almost precise therm as there is no translation for word ,,posna hrana" which is used during such holidays. Yet again ,,meatless'' is not precise therm because we eat fish anyway during Christmass Eve. But not ordinary animals.

In Romania, people wait for carol singers to give them money as rewards for singing about Christ related things usually pertaining his birth. Before, it was fruits, food and wine.
Kids wait for Old Man Christmas (Moș Crăciun). An error though because that means Saint Nicholas comes two times a year in December. Of course, gifts during Christmas are more expensive, I mean, pompous.
In Spain for instance, it's in January that they give gifts in a day representing the event when the three magi came to Jesus.
Oh here is what I did today. I was положајник. Položajnik at latin. That word again has no translation. Here is old ancient custom that someone young or healthy needs to come to your doorstep first, so you will have healthy year. If somebody whose is sick yo usee first, then you will be expected to be sick often. Of course old superstition from ancient times, has nothing to do with reality. But I used situation to be first somewhere early at this morning to earn some ,,gifts". Money, chocolate.... :cgrin:
You see now why it is easier for us to use cyrilic or our language for some sentences when it is Christmas/holiday related, because sometimes it would need wall of text to explain what we wanted to say.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
@MasterHaosis yeah there's fasting before Christmas but fish is not a requirement. The apostles were fisherman not Yeshua.
Here it's common for people to buy a pine tree some days before and ornate it.

There's also some custom here with a male coming first through the door but I think it's something related to the New Year.
WE have that as a word for some willow tree: răchită. It's borrowed.
Hrană means food here.

And lol полоз - Wiktionary

Cyrillic has only to do with it in part. You can write any other language in the Latin alphabet and it won't make it English.

Level 34
it's site rules, lol.
Yeah, as I tried to explain before, rules did not predict such situation about greetings and cheerings during holidays, as it would not make sense much if we try to translate it as they mean in original.

Also, I see that you are typing Russian perhaps. I did not know that you learned that language. Or you have been writing sentence you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.