• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Handheld Lantern

Handheld Lantern for humans​

This model was made for Orc Gladiators: Revenge. I tweaked it to better fit more contexts.

Credits are appreciated, you are free to resize and rotate the model as you see fit.

Equip to "right hand" of the Villager Man model or Peasant.

Keywords:
Lantern
Previews
Contents

Blue Handheld Lantern (Model)

Fungus Handheld Lantern (Model)

Handheld Lantern (Model)

Red Handheld Lantern (Model)

Reviews
General Frank
A nice collection of lamp models. Very well chosen textures. Good job.
A nice idea, but the execution for now is quite lacking and there are a few issues that you have to address.
Please fix the following:
  • All attachment models need a proper Death animation. During this animation the model should not be visible.
  • The material properties are not correct. The materials should be set to 'transparent'
  • For such a simple model you are using way too many vertices and faces. You should try to reduce the amount of those.
  • The upper part of the lamp body has incorrect (and messy) normals. You should fix that.

Level 6
Ooh, nice!
You might want to add a light source to it through a node. Maybe give it a faint glow like the in-game lanterns too.
I have added a glow to the model, as requested.

A nice idea, but the execution for now is quite lacking and there are a few issues that you have to address.
Please fix the following:
  • All attachment models need a proper Death animation. During this animation the model should not be visible.
  • The material properties are not correct. The materials should be set to 'transparent'
  • For such a simple model you are using way too many vertices and faces. You should try to reduce the amount of those.
  • The upper part of the lamp body has incorrect (and messy) normals. You should fix that.
Hello General Frank,

I have made some updates to the model. Is there more that I need to do before you will do another review?

Level 6
I think that I will not be able to reduce the detail on the fungus lantern without really compromising the design. Is it possible to improve it even with a high poly count?

I will try to simplify the fungus lantern, but if the polygon/vertex count is too high, perhaps I should remove it.

I think that I will not be able to reduce the detail on the fungus lantern without really compromising the design. Is it possible to improve it even with a high poly count?

I will try to simplify the fungus lantern, but if the polygon/vertex count is too high, perhaps I should remove it.
Give it a try.
500+ polygons and 1500+ vertices for a very small attachment is simply too much.
If you don't succeed in improving it, just leave it. It won't hamper the chances of this pack being reviewed properly.

Level 6
Give it a try.
500+ polygons and 1500+ vertices for a very small attachment is simply too much.
If you don't succeed in improving it, just leave it. It won't hamper the chances of this pack being reviewed properly.
I have finished updating all the models and simplifying them as much as I could.

I was only able to get the fungi lantern down to 389 vertices, but I hope it can be accepted.

Please review when you have time.

Level 6
Noice lanterns!
Could you modify the fungus caps, so they are rounder on the rim?
Nice lamps! i think you could change the fungus heads with a more recognizable shape, i had to saw the name to know what they were o_O
For now, I've attached the model where the fungus caps are hexagons instead of triangles.

Attachments

• SpiritLantern_MyriadFungiForHive_more_vertices.mdx
    20.3 KB · Views: 13