• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Halo Wars Demo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
I played this for a while now, and here's what I have to say on this little game. First off, The feel that a "Halo" game is going on and I'm watching from up above, that's pretty much nailed. Movements of vehicles, the way grunts always have an elite nearby, it's nice. Also the bases are easy to build up, gather resources is basically automatic, base defenses makes it hard to "turtle", which creates a fast paced game. The difficulty seems on-par, no big gaps between normal and heroic. Now to be pissy.

Mostly graphical stuff. Camera zoom is set as far and WAY far. I wanted to be able to zoom in right to my hunters' "faces", and I couldn't. Most units are barely recognizable, like jackals and marines. You see little sticks walking around shooting at each other. Not cool. Also the model's of infantry seem almost... how shall I put... cartoon-ish. Nothing like Bungie's old animations which were stunning. My last gripe: the scarab. In skirmish mode you can pick to play as the Covenant. Which is awesome. But, there scarab is the "Win the Game" unit, and humans don't have anything similar to match it. By the way, I just lost the game. AND! It's not even unique! You can build up to 2! Also, the scarab's look is wrong. You see, Halo Wars takes place 20 years before Halo 1, and Halo 2 takes place a few months after Halo 1. Now look at the scarab from Halo 2

Halo 2 Scarab

Un-armored, silver, ect. Now, in Halo 3, they have a NEWER scarab, armored, blue, and with a turret on top.

Halo 3 Scarab

So, 20 years before when we SHOULD see an older version of the scarab, we see this.

Halo Wars Scarab

Yup. Newer one. In the past. Nice job Ensemble, you messed up mah Halo Lore. I don't care if it looks better, I want mah lore right!

I'm getting off track. Fix the camera zoom and I'll be perfectly happy. Comments are welcome.

Last edited:
Level 5
Lol I can't beleive gamespot gave this game a 6.5/10. I'm sure it deserves more than that though RTS on console is always fail.

Level 13
I'm gonna rent it this weekend and play thought the whole thing, I'll let you all know how it goes.

Level 34
Tried the demo, wasn't impressed. It's got decent action from what I can tell, and a fairly good controller scheme, but it's fairly bland as WILL said. It's just basic RTS stuff. I'll go back to my DoW 2 now.

Level 9
Halo Wars...no Snores.

Wc3 is still the best rts, duh.
Wrong, StarCraft is, its just got the best editor ever which can make RPG's and such - you don't see many RTS maps made with it do you? They're rare. And SC2 will be the best game...ever. Halo Wars has some seriously bullshit things wrong, even though i have collector edition for it, and, no way is it deep. Seriously, Ensemble are idiots now [now the ones that have risen out of their ashes are, Bonfire Studios and Robot Studios, Robot is the one thats supporting HW now], they need to give that unit extra health and dmg, while StarCraft has a Kill counter which makes you feel attached to that unit. And fuck on Graeme Devine, we don't care about the unbalanced weak units that you have, even with your silly Veterancy system. Oh, and wheres the Forge thing that was promised? The game got fucking dumbed down -- look at early E3 vids from last year. No seriously, 20 grenades to take down 8 grunts and one elite? What? On normal that would of destroyed them -- one of them would have. Also, the plot suddenly tears itself apart. "The Covenant are looking for something on Arcadia, theres an energy shield, we blow it apart, a super scarab, then oh what are the Covenant looking for? OMG the story goes to another planet with no relation! Ohs, but lol the thing they're looking for is the shield world! WRONG -- they already found it." Oh, and OMFG -- WHERE IS TEH HALO? The HALO? NO HALO? SERIOUSLY? And...800 Microsoft points (10$ american), for CTF and two other shit modes that the A.I aren't built to do? Oh, but you can get a free RPG, CTF, etc for free from Warcraft! And StarCraft packed like, 18 modes? EDIT: P.S, the screen of Halo 2 Scarab, thats in the level Assault on the Control Room from Halo: Combat Evolved, the first.

Level 34
Wrong, StarCraft is, its just got the best editor ever which can make RPG's and such - you don't see many RTS maps made with it do you? They're rare. And SC2 will be the best game...ever. Halo Wars has some seriously bullshit things wrong, even though i have collector edition for it, and, no way is it deep. Seriously, Ensemble are idiots now [now the ones that have risen out of their ashes are, Bonfire Studios and Robot Studios, Robot is the one thats supporting HW now], they need to give that unit extra health and dmg, while StarCraft has a Kill counter which makes you feel attached to that unit. And fuck on Graeme Devine, we don't care about the unbalanced weak units that you have, even with your silly Veterancy system. Oh, and wheres the Forge thing that was promised? The game got fucking dumbed down -- look at early E3 vids from last year. No seriously, 20 grenades to take down 8 grunts and one elite? What? On normal that would of destroyed them -- one of them would have. Also, the plot suddenly tears itself apart. "The Covenant are looking for something on Arcadia, theres an energy shield, we blow it apart, a super scarab, then oh what are the Covenant looking for? OMG the story goes to another planet with no relation! Ohs, but lol the thing they're looking for is the shield world! WRONG -- they already found it." Oh, and OMFG -- WHERE IS TEH HALO? The HALO? NO HALO? SERIOUSLY? And...800 Microsoft points (10$ american), for CTF and two other shit modes that the A.I aren't built to do? Oh, but you can get a free RPG, CTF, etc for free from Warcraft! And StarCraft packed like, 18 modes? EDIT: P.S, the screen of Halo 2 Scarab, thats in the level Assault on the Control Room from Halo: Combat Evolved, the first.
You have an extremely agressive "I'm right" attitude. I've noticed this throughout the gaming forums, and I don't like it. Please calm down, and debate/discuss in a more friendly way.

Also, that thing is one impressive wall of text, might want to paragraph a bit.

Level 13
EDIT: P.S, the screen of Halo 2 Scarab, thats in the level Assault on the Control Room from Halo: Combat Evolved, the first.

Just want to point out it's from a multiplayer map on Halo: Custom Edition. I just posted it to show a good frame of reference, was the best pic I could find.

Level 9
You have an extremely agressive "I'm right" attitude. I've noticed this throughout the gaming forums, and I don't like it. Please calm down, and debate/discuss in a more friendly way.

Also, that thing is one impressive wall of text, might want to paragraph a bit.

Heh, well, wouldn't you be like that to some games? But, before you can proclaim I'm wrong, play the full game. ROTA (rise of the argonauts) start sucked so much at the start I took it back to shop. But maybe you played past that and said that the rest was good. Really, most peoples*reaction on the game is negative...because it got dumbed down. Eh, paragraphs are not my friend in forums.

Level 34
Heh, well, wouldn't you be like that to some games? But, before you can proclaim I'm wrong, play the full game. ROTA (rise of the argonauts) start sucked so much at the start I took it back to shop. But maybe you played past that and said that the rest was good. Really, most peoples*reaction on the game is negative...because it got dumbed down. Eh, paragraphs are not my friend in forums.
I can get defensive about games, sure, but that's why people remind each other to calm down.

I never said anything about you being wrong, just that your attitude needed changing.

Level 4
Halo was is good but it's on the box and its an rts. Console + Rts = limitations
Warcraft 3 and starcraft 1 and 2 are better rts games but halo wars is stilll good and I still play it.

Status
Not open for further replies.