• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Gurubashi Headhunter

260817-d3841f27cdb9c94f442eb7d5be52a8a8.png

My fifth belated entry for the Timeless Texturing event; admittedly earlier than usual. If you got the time, come join us! The model was created by Cavman and can be found in the assets list below.

You may copy, distribute and display this resource and make derivative works based on this resource.

Texturing Contest #31 Repurposing (Custom-Made Model)
"It's time to dig through Hive's model database and dust off some oldie but goldie models! Contestants must retexture a completely custom made model (including the texture) found in Hive's Classic Model Database. There is no restrictive theme otherwise. Let your imagination set the limits."

Keywords:
Troll, Jungle Troll, Stranglethorn Vale, Gurubashi
Previews
Contents

Gurubashi Headhunter (Texture)

Gurubashi Headhunter (Icon)

Reviews
Footman16
Wow Arowanna a surprise to be sure but a welcome one, you've taken a cool custom model of the Female Blademaster and given us an epic Troll Hero to use so let's jump in: The Good: The pelt looks fantastic, the tiger is a great idea and it really...
Wow Arowanna a surprise to be sure but a welcome one, you've taken a cool custom model of the Female Blademaster and given us an epic Troll Hero to use so let's jump in:

The Good:
The pelt looks fantastic, the tiger is a great idea and it really pops. This compliments the colour choices we have the pale blue of the Gurubashi skin with the browns and oranges all coming together in a cohesive colour scheme and look along with the brown-red of the plume. The pelts head also looks really good and the Tiger's fur looks really good and you've pulled off short fur which from my own experience can be tricky to get the desired look.
In terms of the clothing we have brown leather with some straps and a wee wooden voodoo emblem for a belt. This all looks well done and effective. We also have the axe and shoulder section which stands out the designs and look of the materials gives me a real WoW texture vibe. When I saw this the first thing I thought was it looks like a texture ripped from vanilla WoW which speaks to the quality and look of the texture.

Areas for Improvement:
TC is a little disappointing in that the only TC is the Hero Glow, although I'm not sure where else TC can be added to the texture. You pulled off a great fur look on the head of the belt but the back of it feels a bit flat and clay-looking, it might be worth replicating the head's fur technique on the main body of the pelt.
Whilst looking like a WoW texture is good and definitely a compliment one feature of vanilla WoW textures is a very flat shading and overall "flatness" to them; I feel like more pronounced shading could go some ways to alleviating that. Any borders between sections should be deep and dark and lighter areas should be approaching white to really exaggerate and make the shading/lighting Warcraft-y and popping.
The plume also looks a little too "straight" especially when wrapped on the model.

Conclusion:
Like all your textures we have a really cool and impressive texture with so many elements and designs. I really enjoyed looking at it and wish I could use it somewhere in my own projects. I'm jealous of your fur! Easily approved as recommended!

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
It's not often I pay much attention to custom textures; I'm pretty stuck on in-game textures (it's so hard to find someone who can mimic the Wc3 style), and the results are rarely very transformative (important for my line of modding).

This hits both, so much so that it makes me start to question my "anti-mammal" stance for Jungle Trolls, which is saying something. xD I just love this little lady; you've taken a decent model and elevated it incredibly.

Level 25
It's not often I pay much attention to custom textures; I'm pretty stuck on in-game textures (it's so hard to find someone who can mimic the Wc3 style), and the results are rarely very transformative (important for my line of modding).

This hits both, so much so that it makes me start to question my "anti-mammal" stance for Jungle Trolls, which is saying something. xD I just love this little lady; you've taken a decent model and elevated it incredibly.

weeb_Enthralledexcitement .gif