• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Guide: Converting FT maps to Reign of Chaos

Level 8
Converting TFT Maps into RoC Maps

Note: This is not for people that are creating roc maps that auto-converted to TFT. This is for TFT mappers that want their map to be available on RoC.

Follow each step below exactly as it is stated to convert your map.

Step 1: Download Winmpq Here (Official WinMPQ site).

Step 2: Open your TFT Map with WinMPQ.

Step 3: Highlight ALL of the files inside the map and extract them to an empty folder.

Step 4: Open a blank Reign of Chaos map with WinMPQ.

Step 5: Delete all files inside the map.

Step 6: "Add" all of the files that you extracted from your TFT map into the now-blank RoC map. Do this by highlighting all of the files.

Step 7: Custom import all TFT files into your map; these include Models and animations. If you do not import them, they will not show up. If you do not want to import the models into your map*, then I would suggest that you use RoC models as substitutes for the TFT models. Also Note: You need to change all Armor and Attack classes to RoC - Compatible ones. (List)

*You may not want to do this because it increases your map size significantly.

Now you're done! Your map can now be played on RoC!

Be aware that this method increases file size dramatically; even in some cases doubling file size. My advice would be to use Vexorian's Map Optimizer to lower your file size. Try not to use too many imported items when doing this process.

I did this guide fairly quickly, but I plan to clean it up a bit and add some screenshots soon.

Hope this helps! (I know it helped me)

Last edited:
Level 11
This is not necessarily true... considering that the map file does not contain TFT models, but paths towards them. If a unit's appearance path points to a TFT model, the unit will not be visible in RoC. This method in my opinion is shaky at best, and can lead to some very unstable maps. My suggestion? Let World Editor decide which map is compatible with RoC and which isn't.

~Daelin

Level 8
This is not necessarily true... considering that the map file does not contain TFT models, but paths towards them. If a unit's appearance path points to a TFT model, the unit will not be visible in RoC. This method in my opinion is shaky at best, and can lead to some very unstable maps. My suggestion? Let World Editor decide which map is compatible with RoC and which isn't.

~Daelin

>Step 7: Custom import all TFT files into your map; these include Models and animations. If you do not import them, they will not show up. If you do not want to import the models into your map*, then I would suggest that you use RoC models as substitutes for the TFT models.
*You may not want to do this because it increases your map size significantly.

Yes, you must import them yourself. Yes, this makes the map bigger.

The only reason I posted this is because I had to figure this out on my own, when I used FT editor for RoC maps. I figured, if there are any other people that give a damn about the RoC community, they may want to know about this.
I realize that there really aren't a lot of people that give a damn about RoC. I try my best to help those who do.

Level 32
Tonks: you need to get the screenshots and attach them to the thread. I also think it would be preferable to change the second WinMPQ link to the version available here at THW and merge this tutorial with your other one.

Last edited:
Level 8
Tonks: you need to get the screenshots and attach them to the thread.

I have not yet taken the screenshots, and I won't have much freetime until this weekend. I'll try to do that then.

I also think it would be preferable to change the second WinMPQ link to the version available here at THW

I simply removed the second link. I think that the official site is adequate.

and merge this tutorial with your other one.

I prefer to keep it separate, as they're different topics, and the other one is too long as it is. It's becoming difficult to edit it, because it takes a while for me to find my place after I pause.
However, if you would prefer that I merge them, I would gladly do so.

Thank you for the feedback :)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
This method sounds too good to be true.
TFT models are huge and will more than 100* multiply map size for you average rpg since each model is 1-2 MB.
Also what about spells that come which are TFT only? like volcano, incenerate, tornado, cluster rockets? Will they still work since they are not in ROC?
Also trigger functions will mess up badly since some advanced jass functions are TFT only and so will result in a jass error since they do not exist in ROC, examples I do not have offhead.

You need to also show it works, get a well known map which is about 500 KB and convert it to ROC and prove it still works. Since otherwise some of us have no proff that this method is fool proof and can not bug.

Level 8
This method sounds too good to be true.
TFT models are huge and will more than 100* multiply map size for you average rpg since each model is 1-2 MB.

That's why I say only import some of the FT models. I said that you should probably use a few RoC models as substitutes when doing this, to decrease file size.

Also what about spells that come which are TFT only? like volcano, incenerate, tornado, cluster rockets? Will they still work since they are not in ROC?

As I said, you will need to import the abilities.

Also trigger functions will mess up badly since some advanced jass functions are TFT only and so will result in a jass error since they do not exist in ROC, examples I do not have offhead.

The most recent patch updated RoC JASS to include all functions available in FT, if my information is correct. So simply converting all triggers to Jass would solve any trigger problems.

You need to also show it works, get a well known map which is about 500 KB and convert it to ROC and prove it still works. Since otherwise some of us have no proff that this method is fool proof and can not bug.

How can I do so? I could simply import the files to a RoC map, and you would all be convinced, because you would see all the models and all the abilities and effects.

However, if you insist, I can show you a map that I've converted.

fool proof and can not bug.

There's always a chance it won't work. There's always a chance that anything won't work. I'm merely putting this out as an option for people who want to try it out, see if they can do it for their map.

Level 7
Why should anyone care about RoC anymore when they, and almost everyone else who plays warcraft, have FRZT?

This tutorial is useless. If the RoC community really wants to play FRZT games, they can by their own disck instead of wasteing everybody's time. It only costs about $20 anyway; and if they still cannot afford it I recomend they get a job and/or start saveing money.

Level 15
Well, the RoC fanbase still exists and is still active. Not only this, but there's something satisfying about making a heavily customized RoC map, especially if it allows RoC players to enjoy map features normally considered TFT-only.

As a suggestion for the tutorial, it might be good to mention a few warnings about differences between TFT and RoC. For instance: armor/attack classes are different between the expansion and normal game and all the damage bonuses and reductions are different.
http://www.battle.net/war3/basics/armorandweapontypes.shtml

Level 8
Why should anyone care about RoC anymore when they, and almost everyone else who plays warcraft, have FRZT?

This tutorial is useless. If the RoC community really wants to play FRZT games, they can by their own disck instead of wasteing everybody's time. It only costs about $20 anyway; and if they still cannot afford it I recomend they get a job and/or start saveing money.

This point has been made many times, and I still find it idiotic.

Well, the RoC fanbase still exists and is still active. Not only this, but there's something satisfying about making a heavily customized RoC map, especially if it allows RoC players to enjoy map features normally considered TFT-only.

As a suggestion for the tutorial, it might be good to mention a few warnings about differences between TFT and RoC. For instance: armor/attack classes are different between the expansion and normal game and all the damage bonuses and reductions are different.
http://www.battle.net/war3/basics/armorandweapontypes.shtml

Thank you, Samuraid. I'll add in a note to change all Armor and Attack classes to RoC - Compatible ones.

Level 7
Well, the RoC fanbase still exists and is still active.
Acknoledged, but why should a FRZT player care?
Not only this, but there's something satisfying about making a heavily customized RoC map, especially if it allows RoC players to enjoy map features normally considered TFT-only.
I can see how mappers would want to make a map like that for a challange- but at the end of the day, a FRZT map will always be better than a RoC map.

Level 8
Acknoledged, but why should a FRZT player care?I can see how mappers would want to make a map like that for a challange- but at the end of the day, a FRZT map will always be better than a RoC map.

Your opinion is one shared by many mappers, and is the very reason why RoC maps are in general not as good as FT maps.

Back on topic; if you don't have any constructive advice about my guide, then please don't post in this thread anymore.

It shows them a map for RoC. It also doesn't make them waste money. But, it can/will make a person reveal their eyes and make em get TFT.... i think.... but this is useful for me. I want my friend to experience a tight RoC map with stuff in it. Mwuhahah.