• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[GUI] Battalion System

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
  • Love
Reactions: Barorque
This is a battalion system similiar to the one used in Godfall Chronicles, but this one is simpler, GUI made, and dont take players alway for the troops.

How it works:
You train a squad of footmen, it will spawn 5 Footmen (or more if you wish) and 1 Captain. Any order that you give to the Captain, the footmen in the group will do the same. When the Captain dies, a random footmen in the group will be chosen to be promoted to Captain, and will take the control of the remaining soldiers.

This system is great for people wanting to make epic battles.
Give me credits if used. Have fun.

Keywords:
Squad, Control, Mass, Troops, Soldiers
Contents

Han Han's Battalion System 1.0 (Map)

Reviews
10:51, 15th Jun 2010 Hanky: This doesn't look like a system at all. Most of the trigger are just cnp. Also there are some leaks. Before you submit something again please read at first the spell submission rules.

M

10:51, 15th Jun 2010
Hanky:
This doesn't look like a system at all. Most of the trigger are just cnp. Also there are some leaks. Before you submit something again please read at first the spell submission rules.

Review:
Idea

As you said the idea isn't new but i think this is really funny^^
3/5
Coding

Hmm BAD coding...
you use a basic recycling system using UnitUserData!
this can collide with other systems and should be avoided!
In every create trigger you leak 5 times!!
you need to set the location variable only once to its value and remove it when it is not needed anymore(1 create, 1 destroy and not 6 creates, 1 destroy)
All these triggers can be merged into a few by using if then else constructions and the triggering itself can be a lot shorter!!
2/5
Documentation

3 pages of documentation!
thats what we need
5/5
Result

Well good idea but badly done...
if you need help improving what i told you PM me
I will help

Overall: (3+2+5)/3 = 3.3 ==> 3
Vote for Approval: No
PM me when you want me to look over your ressource again

This is a battalion system similiar to the one used in Godfall Chronicles, but this one is simpler, GUI made, and dont take players alway for the troops.

System in Godfall Chronicles has that option too. Just set the TranslatePlayer variable to 0 and troops will belong to the same player. But having the same player for troops an captain causes selection issues and partly negates the benefits of this system.

When a captain died, the new captain spawned in some odd position, not instead of troop from that group.

Main thing I disliked is that to add new stuff you must create whole triggers.

Hmm BAD coding...
you use a basic recycling system using UnitUserData!
this can collide with other systems and should be avoided!
In every create trigger you leak 5 times!!
you need to set the location variable only once to its value and remove it when it is not needed anymore(1 create, 1 destroy and not 6 creates, 1 destroy)
All these triggers can be merged into a few by using if then else constructions and the triggering itself can be a lot shorter!!
2/5

Now that hashtables are in, custom values have no more so relevant

About the location variable, it's a global, so it takes all these values, imo they shouldn't leak. Or do they?

Level 10
pretty neat, but i think it would be better if you could only control the captains. and how did you make the walls like that? pretty cool

I allowed people to control both captains and troops because players would like to to use singular troops to scout missions, or things that only requires 1 soldier without having to move the whole battalion. But I planed a way to make players enable an option that instantly deselects troops and keeps only captains selecteds, and could turn this feautre on or off by chat commands. Thanks, +rep

Need a way of re-manning the battalions. They should know how large the battalion was and have a way of regenerating more men.

I made a way that makes the captain invulnerable, and his hp based on how much troops are left, and could his hp (troops) retrained at a barracks. The bad thing on this system is since the captain is invulnerable, the players can make the troops unable to move inside a transport, and use the invulnerable captains to destroy the enemy base.

I made a way that makes the captain invulnerable, and his hp based on how much troops are left, and could his hp (troops) retrained at a barracks. The bad thing on this system is since the captain is invulnerable, the players can make the troops unable to move inside a transport, and use the invulnerable captains to destroy the enemy base.

Transports... making batalions fitting transports it's another challenge you could make. When captain is loaded, you load (actually hide) all his troops until captain is unloaded. And troops shouldn't be allowed to fit transports alone.

Level 9
Things you should do:
Make other units then the Captain "Un Move Able".. Its kind of rare that you can use one unit and make him die while the rest of the group stands and watch. I dont like that.

When you train the units, they should be able to move to the Rally Point...

Thats all i could see, 3/5 - Useful.. A full review is not avaible from me ATM.. ;)

Level 13
I allowed people to control both captains and troops because players would like to to use singular troops to scout missions, or things that only requires 1 soldier without having to move the whole battalion. But I planed a way to make players enable an option that instantly deselects troops and keeps only captains selecteds, and could turn this feautre on or off by chat commands. Thanks, +rep

Make it so the Captains can't attack and they are removed once their battalion is empty. :).

Level 10
Mech, actualy that could work if I use the other system I mentioned, but not this one.

elejrick, I will try fix the rally point thing. Dont worry.

James7, yeah I did it too, since on that system the Captain's hp is how much troops are left, when the last soldier dies, the captain dies too. But Even if I remove the attack, players will able to use the Captain to see what enemies are doing in their bases without geting abled to be stoped.

Level 13
Well then keep the same system of when the captain dies it just replaces a unit in the group? Then instead of him dying when there's no one left in his battalion it'll just be him. and also make it so captains can recruit people and dismiss people from battalions.

Level 13
How can I keep the special effect above the right captain unit if I use a bear-form-type ability? I use the system to train a battalion of infantry units for my napoleonic map and then when I order the captain to switch to bayonet mode it switches the captain to another unit and removes the special effect.

You really need to add a way of dismissing units and adding units to groups.

Level 9
Omg, all that is so simple..

Check all "Unit Group" actions, there is something you can learn just by watching them.
And with the special effect, just add it "overhead" the captain, and then set the special effect to a variable and destroy it when the captain dies.