• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

GUI and JASS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hello,

I am fairly interested in what's the difference between JASS and GUI.
What I have understood is that JASS never leeks, it simply does, or doesn't. Maybe I'm wrong but what do I know, that's why I'm asking you! :)

I apologise if there already is a thread like this one I just couldn't be arsed to look through all posts.

Level 19
GUI is JASS, but it has graphic-user-interface, while on the other hand, JASS doesn't, thus you have to type everything.

GUI code is converted into JASS when your map loads or uses any of its GUI scripts/triggers.

In short, JASS is the programming language and GUI is the environment in which you can easily create things you want.

Level 3
GUI is JASS, but it has graphic-user-interface, while on the other hand, JASS doesn't, thus you have to type everything.

GUI code is converted into JASS when your map loads or uses any of its GUI scripts/triggers.

In short, JASS is the programming language and GUI is the environment in which you can easily create things you want.

So, like.. either is better/easier to use than the other?

Level 3
But really, what is the easiest way to learn it? Because I want to learn I just don't know where to start. Can I maybe convert normal GUI to text so that I can learn how to create easy initializations?

Level 40
But really, what is the easiest way to learn it? Because I want to learn I just don't know where to start. Can I maybe convert normal GUI to text so that I can learn how to create easy initializations?
Write stuff in JASS and have someone look at it.

Converting is a good start but the converted code is really awful and makes lots of really stupid mistakes.

For example, a condition function is converted to:

JASS:
function mycond takes nothing returns boolean
    if (the conditions) then
        return true
    endif
    return false
endfunction

Whereas it obviously makes more sense to:

JASS:
    return (the conditions)
endfunction

Level 3
Write stuff in JASS and have someone look at it.

Converting is a good start but the converted code is really awful and makes lots of really stupid mistakes.

For example, a condition function is converted to:

JASS:
    if (the conditions) then
        return true
    endif
    return false
endfunction

Whereas it obviously makes more sense to:

JASS:
    return (the conditions)
endfunction

I see, so converted codes are like GUI's anyways cause they're written in the same way?

Level 40
GUI is actually just a graphical interface stuck on top of JASS--the game runs JASS, GUI is just an easy way to write it. It also happens to produce bad JASS and only give access to a subset of the language, as well as being much more cumbersome to use once you're experienced, hence why learning JASS is a good idea if you plan to spend much time in the environment.

Level 6
GUI is just as good and may be slower by not that long but it can still do the same thing jass can do besides the extra functions of some of the same stuff, if you don't mind me asking why has this been brought up as well this should be a closed thread.

Should tell him through private or visitor messages.

Level 6
Yes, I could.

I would make that or delete a location but....

Nobody has anything in their editor to load my GUI so...... Modified GUI of course because the standard provided by blizzard wasn't enough since you have to remove a location with custom script which by the way I exclude as jass because it is more in the middle and could be used by itself, I do not want to discuss this and I should not of brought this up.

Level 40
Uh, if you define some nebulous concept of an unspecified "modified GUI" then of course it could do anything.

Hell, I could go "herp derp I invented a modified GUI based around scripting, it's called JASS, you guys should check it out!" seeing as GUI is a very very vague term when it comes to code and what the world editor provides amounts to some form of one.

Also, "custom script" is what the editor calls JASS so yeah, "custom script" is JASS and if you exclude it it's safe to say you're in denial.

Status
Not open for further replies.