• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Gronn

This bundle is marked as pending. It has not been reviewed by a staff member yet.
Base gronn model. Expect new variations soon™.

IMPORTANT. READ:
The unit now has a walk 1 and walk fast animation. Walk is set to 250 speed and walk fast to 320.
Be sure to write these numbers in World Editor if you want it to work properly.
instructions.jpg

There's not much else to say, it has custom ORM, normal and diffuse channels, as well as an icon. It's made with edited reforged assets, so it's not 100% faithful to the original Gronn models, but my own take on the unit.
Use wendigo elder as the base model to have a working portrait talk.

Currently working on a purple gronn (bigger spikes, more menacing, you know the drill), and an enslaved gronn. If someone wants to collaborate with me, use or modify the assets for personal use or for use within the Hive workshop, feel free to do so. Credit is always welcome, of course.

EDIT: 27/10/20 2:00 - - - Solved a bug where the belt would disappear on walk 1 animation. Modified the names of the abilities so it's easier to use them on WE. Added runes to the model. Changed a bit the ORM and normal maps and solved an issue with weird geometry in the chest. Changed a bit the normal map of the back and added some scars. Modified the belt animations so they move more naturally.
All textures have to be redownloaded. Sorry guys. :ogre_kawaii:

Edit: 29/10/20 18:30 - - - Added portrait light. Team-coloured portrait light is both buggy and awful imo. It's a very minuscule change, you only have to redownload the .mdx (the model file).
gronnportrait.jpg

Edit: 26/11/2020 - - - I thought that normals were DXT5 and not 3D5, so it looked worse in game than it should. I'm reuploading the model, but you only need to change the _normal map if you already downloaded it. Currently, I can't upload the texture alone because I'm getting a server bug.
Previews
Contents

BTNgronn (Texture)

DISBTNgronn.blp (Texture)

Gronn (Model)

Level 6
With a little texture work and reworked feet, and this would be pretty spot on. Maybe a variant using the Sasquatch model and animations would be good.
880868.jpg

Ye, I already thought of doing that, but the skeletons are completely different. The resulting animations are wonky and make no sense.
I also want to add runes, but the uv map in the shoulder is awful (doesn't mean that I won't, just that it takes some time getting them right).

Last edited:
Level 6
Ye, I already thought of doing that, but the skeletons are completely different. The resulting animations are wonky and make no sense.
I also want to add runes, but the uv map in the shoulder is awful (doesn't mean that I won't, just that it takes some time getting them right).
Oh, I was more thinking of using it as a totally different base model, because the feet are more like the Gronn. I expect that'd be a total pain in the ass, though.

Will one of your variations also have the swirled tattoos like in WoW?
Yup, the shoulder is awfully wrapped and I wasn't able to work for a few days, but I still wanted to upload this version. I'll try to add those runes soon, maybe they could even have Team Colour.

Oh, I was more thinking of using it as a totally different base model, because the feet are more like the Gronn. I expect that'd be a total pain in the ass, though.
Uf, yeah. If it was SD, they'd probably use the same UV map (the texture base) but in reforged, every unit has their own mapping. Once I finish all planned variations, I may try to do that, but I can't promise it :/.

Level 12
Ever thought of putting a the Fel Rider from the Fel Kodo Rider model on the back/hunch of it? Would look awesome as a fel warbeast.

Level 9
Ever thought of putting a the Fel Rider from the Fel Kodo Rider model on the back/hunch of it? Would look awesome as a fel warbeast.
I just can't picture a fel orc riding a gronn. I can see it in Warlords of Draenor from the Iron Horde but not in WC3. However I do feel that Outland could use more flor and fauna for Reforged since in the Blood Elf Campaign you really only explored Hellfire Peninsula and that was it. There is lots to expand from the broken world of Draenor if you're thinking Burning Crusade. When it comes to Lore I dump anything after WOTLK, MoP is ok to introduce the Panda race but that's about it. But anyways, it's good to see Gronn's in the mix to throw in with Ogre race in Outland. Be nice to see some more Outland neutral creeps like the clefthoof or even arrakoa.

I just can't picture a fel orc riding a gronn. I can see it in Warlords of Draenor from the Iron Horde but not in WC3. However I do feel that Outland could use more flor and fauna for Reforged since in the Blood Elf Campaign you really only explored Hellfire Peninsula and that was it. There is lots to expand from the broken world of Draenor if you're thinking Burning Crusade. When it comes to Lore I dump anything after WOTLK, MoP is ok to introduce the Panda race but that's about it. But anyways, it's good to see Gronn's in the mix to throw in with Ogre race in Outland. Be nice to see some more Outland neutral creeps like the clefthoof or even arrakoa.

Arrakoa would be nice. Perhaps harpies could be remodeled and reanimated to look like arrakoa (the non cursed version)

Level 9
I honestly wouldn’t know what else to say other than this is probably how I would see a Gronn in reforged. I’m sure there is much room for improvement but I wouldn’t know because I’m not experienced but a great asset for any Burning Crusade fans out there such as myself nonetheless. It would be nice to add to Outland since there was more than just demons and Draenei.