1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Grim Dawn

Discussion in 'Gamer's Hub' started by BallisticTerrain, May 15, 2013.

1. BallisticTerrain

BallisticTerrain

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Since tomorrow is the anniversary of the disappointment that was Diablo 3 launching, I thought I would share with you all a ARPG being developed by a small studio lead by one of the lead developers of Titan Quest, another good ARPG some of you might know. It's called Grim Dawn, and has a very cool premise and shows tons of promise. The closed alpha is coming out tomorrow. You can buy an alpha key by supporting the game now and anytime in the future (for a while) if you so wish.
    The developers are very well in touch with the community, and constantly update us on the state of development. The game also has a very good community on it's website. Anyways, enough talk.
    Link to the about page.
    http://www.grimdawn.com/about.php
    Make sure you check out the development section of the forums for the whole history of updates.
    Have fun!

2. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    The only disappointment was I could not play it much. The game itself met every expectation.

Never heard of it.

Those are all opinions... What evidence do you have to back this?

Yeh, pay up so they can say the game is a failure and keep your money but not release it. Bad idea to buy early. At least Diablo III only started that in Beta, which is considerably further down the development chain.

Well they have to be if they are selling you an alpha product. Alphas are not even in full working condition so they could take your money and run.

3. BallisticTerrain

BallisticTerrain

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Wow, hostile much?
    On to the rebuttal.

First of all, sorry for bringing D3 into this. That was my opinion, and you are entitled to yours, but it was very disappointing to me story wise. Let's not argue about Diablo 3.

On to Titan Quest. It was developed by Iron Lore Studios, and achieved profitability after selling nearly one million copies. It also got decent ratings. Go look it up if you want.

Also, did you even look at the website? I linked the about page with all the features and the premise.
    About/Premise
    http://grimdawn.com/about.php
    Features
    http://grimdawn.com/about_featurelist.php
    Media
    http://grimdawn.com/media_screenshots.php
    My opinion as well, but so is most of everything you said in your post.

The Alpha came out yesterday. I promptly downloaded it and played it for 6 hours straight and have yet to finish. There is absolutely no NDA, so feel free to look it up. It was a quite fun in my opinion, and the soundtrack was awesome. Also, Grim Dawn went on kickstarter a while ago and managed to raise five hundred thousand dollars.
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crateentertainment/grim-dawn

Heres some links to in touch thing I'm talking about.
    News and General Info Section of Forums
    http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3

Development Updates. Feel free to browse.
    http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18

Developer Discussions. Here they hold polls and such/ ask questions to community.
    http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7

Full Description with sources of all gameplay and features.
    http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6

Make sure you check those out before you say anything else.

And finally, to add a few screenshots of my own. The game is set in a post apocalyptic victorian era world. The alpha encompasses all of act one. Also in the premise, read it. Remember, no NDA.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, that isn't the only type of environment. So far I've been through swamps, caves, underground tunnels etc. The screenshots don't really do that really nice lighting and day night cycle/dynamic weather justice though. I would recommend looking at some gameplay footage.
    And that concludes the show.

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  4. Maker

Maker

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Grim Dawn is one of my most anticipated games ever, and I've been anticipating games for over 20 years.

I'm actually a super moderator at Titan Quest forums and have played that game more than any other game so you could say I was well excited when I heard one of the game designers founded a new game studio, Crate Entertainment, to create a new game of the same genre.

I have purchased the Loyalist edition up front, which grants the access to alpha and beta releases and the full game and the expansion if and when it is released.

I played the alpha a bit today and it seemed quite nice but can't say much without getting more into it later this week.

Paying up front is a good way to help to make the game better. They had a kickstarter campaign going on and with the funds they raised, they were able to hire full time artists to work on the project. They are a team of six, so every extra pair of hands is much needed.

5. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Not according to standard international software development contract protocol. There it is the best way to lose money.

From the business point of view, it is the best. You get free money and have to give nothing in return.

There is a difference between hiring an artists and hiring "The" artist. I know quite a lot about small companies and how inexperienced employees can let them down.

6. BallisticTerrain

BallisticTerrain

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    If you check the website you'll see that the in game art is very well done and so is the digital drawings/paintings. They hired good artists.

7. Maker

Maker

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I see paying up front in this case as an investment with very small risk.

The area where the game studio resides, faced a huge wave of closing of game studios. The lead developer of Grim Dawn said they had lots of talented artists to choose from.

8. sonofjay

sonofjay

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Wow, Grim Dawn seems a really promising game. Gonna keep an eye on this.

9. Edhel-dur

Edhel-dur

Resources:
    Resources:
    Grim Dawn sounds promising for any video game fan.

It obviously doesn't sound promising for a Blizzard4life fan.

10. marko9

marko9

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The HUD and UI are the exact same as Titan Quest IT, and I think that graphics were even better in TQIT but I will try it out... seems to be interesting ;)

11. BallisticTerrain

BallisticTerrain

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    They're using an improved version of the TQ engine. If you play the game, you'll see that the graphics are much better, especially the lighting.
    And for the record, they did at least reskin the UI.

12. marko9

marko9

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I hope you are right.