• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Graveyard corpse-spawn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
So, an odd interaction that I stumbled into a number of years ago is that if you set the unit created by Graveyards to Nerubian Warriors (and presumably any other on-death spawn), they spawn Neutral Passive Spiderlings when used for Raise Dead. New testing shows that Animate Dead, Carrion Beetle, Cannibalize, destroying the graveyard, and picking it up with a Meat Wagon also trigger it, while Exhume Corpse does not have this behavior.

As they're still Summoned units, the Spiderlings cannot generate additional corpses. If the spawned unit has the spawn ability itself, then it will spawn more but not leave a corpse, which is not the case for Animate Dead, including the killable Satyr Hellcaller version. Another important note is that the spawning is at the start of Cannibalize.

All things considered, it looks like the underlying functional oddity is that the "corpses" are specially-tagged Neutral Passive instances of the unit which only actually die when called on to act as a corpse, thus causing on-death abilities to occur. The biggest proof of this is that if you make a Neutral Passive Paladin cast Resurrection in range of a Graveyard, the units are revived. This is also yet another way to trigger the spawning.

It's a robust corpse interaction, covering what seems like literally every single way to interact with a corpse to do something. If other on-death abilities don't work, you can have proxies spawned. Attached is the test-map; used a when-attacked trigger to make the Paladin cast the spell. The Banshee's there to kill one without it running.

And since they were wondering the last time I brought it up, tagging @Kyrbi0 to show it. Version is 1.31.1, if I recall my recent re-install correctly. Because for some reason the CD keys and old test maps were in the moved files, but not the executable. Probably got eaten by the Reforged update.

Attachments

• Nerubian_Graveyard_Test.w3x
    17.6 KB · Views: 15
Level 5
I'm gonna have to dig into this but fascinating!
Any further findings or ideas yet?

Because I've also tested some stuff with Dark Conversion. The on-death spawn abilities seem to be defined on unit creation in general, since having Dark Conversion apply to creeps has the resulting unit spawn Spiderlings when used on a Nerubian Warrior, while basic Spiders are never spawned when it's set to Brood Mother. And an Ancient Hydra's chain goes the full way down.

The Clockwerk Goblin and Goblin Sapper's detonation does not carry over under Dark Conversion. But Reincarnate and Auras do, with their icons being retained. The Makrura Tidal Lord's Cleaving Attack is not, but Devotion Aura is. Seems that anything which stays keeps its icon, which ought to be very useful for testing. Item drops also stay put.

Interestingly, it seems Dark Conversion cannot grant abilities of any kind, as having the unit set to Satyr Hellcaller doesn't give any of the abilities. Using it on Satyr Hellcaller even removes Animate Dead and Bloodlust. The attached test map has the pre-learned version turn into Brood Mother and the one learned turn into Satyr Hellcaller.

Attachments

• Dark_Conversion_Test.w3x
    17.4 KB · Views: 8
Status
Not open for further replies.