• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Gothica

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15

TDR

TDR

Level 18
Damn, that looks pretty good to be honest. But it's kind of a "load that thing with all you know, so you show how much you can do" thing. Or you just got carried away, I don't know, but it feels waaay too crowded. Even though the gothic style is very complex and detail overkill, at it's base it's still a very simple composition, it's just the small details that make it look crowded...Those 3 towers you put there don't have much in common with each other, and even though they make a decent asymmetric triangular composition they just crowd the whole thing too much. You can at least try to make the middle tower taller, so it's clear that it's the dominant element, it doesn't look so nice being at the same level as the roof.
And please try to complete the arches of the door, I don't think they look very good this way and it's not in a gothic manner.
Dunno, just my 2 cents.

Level 15
Damn, that looks pretty good to be honest. But it's kind of a "load that thing with all you know, so you show how much you can do" thing. Or you just got carried away, I don't know, but it feels waaay too crowded. Even though the gothic style is very complex and detail overkill, at it's base it's still a very simple composition, it's just the small details that make it look crowded...Those 3 towers you put there don't have much in common with each other, and even though they make a decent asymmetric triangular composition they just crowd the whole thing too much. You can at least try to make the middle tower taller, so it's clear that it's the dominant element, it doesn't look so nice being at the same level as the roof.
And please try to complete the arches of the door, I don't think they look very good this way and it's not in a gothic manner.
Dunno, just my 2 cents.

Damn, if TDR says its pretty good, then it must be a winner! I got carried away on purpose trying to make the best building I could within the poly limit. Cause I really want to win. The prize, I need it. I actually enjoy overloading any piece of work I do with details 2-D or 3-D. I'll see what I can do about what you mentioned. As for the three tower thing, I don't want to change that. I like how it looks from the front view. I tried to make every tower different. I'm right on the limit as it is, I can't add not even one more poly. The middle tower is the same size as roof so people can walk to and fro from the roof walkways to the top of the tower. It does seem like the dominant element being in the middle taller than the others with the cross on it and all. Thanks for your input TDR. I might come here again for your critique on a future project.

I actually wanted to load more details on it, but it was at limit..

Anyone else should give their two cents too. It would be helpful to hear public opinion.

Attachments

• DarkKael.blp
    186.6 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Level 10
That's a beautiful model you have there. Only thing I see wrong is that the towers are so completely different in almost every way. Maybe if you brought out some similarities between them it would be fine, but right now they just look randomly placed. Don't get me wrong, the towers are each great, but together they don't... match.

Status
Not open for further replies.