• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Good way Practice/Train Eye on shading and Value?

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone know any good way Practice/Train Eye on shading and Value?
Is it with still life? or...
I try to do it in my home, but not sure either my eye is untrained or the lighting in my house is not suitable for still life, I can't see any obvious shadow. which even if there is due to my eye is untrained, can't even start with it

Offtopic: Does sketching random things everyday from imagination helps to improve drawing skills?

I try to do it in my home, but not sure either my eye is untrained or the lighting in my house is not suitable for still life, I can't see any obvious shadow. which even if there is due to my eye is untrained, can't even start with it

Offtopic: Does sketching random things everyday from imagination helps to improve drawing skills?

There is shadow on everything. It's not going to be black, but there is shading. Otherwise, everything would look like cartoons. The shading will be subtle but it is there, and you can see it; otherwise, your entire house and everything in it would look like a cartoon.

Sketch white objects to start out; the shading is more obvious on white objects. If you have to, fold or crumple a paper.

There is shadow on everything. It's not going to be black, but there is shading. Otherwise, everything would look like cartoons. The shading will be subtle but it is there, and you can see it; otherwise, your entire house and everything in it would look like a cartoon.

Sketch white objects to start out; the shading is more obvious on white objects. If you have to, fold or crumple a paper.

Ok, the Crumple of paper should work nicely

and, of course there is shadow i know, just that my untrained eye can't see them, or its too little,
now the problem is, I can't see them, I can't practice them, but starting out with white object should work nicely for me, maybe i can't see the shadow because of the color

Level 15
You have low VGA so your shadow setting is low.
You should ask this on DA or other art forum, not here (you wont find good answer about art in here, well... maybe one or two)

I am just gonna answer this with simple answer.
People say "Practice makes perfect", most artists start with drawing fruits.
But, from my experience, it will be easier if you start with draw something you like. For example, I like to draw characters from games. So I searched the images and turn them to black and white. I did that for around 2 months. Soon you will understand lighting and shading. (also, its kinda funny, after that I tried to turn the images back to with color and i saw them like "shit its so HD")
attachment.php

Also, drawing thing in your house wont be that useful for beginner because there are many light source. So you need a desk lamp, or take ladder from your garden and draw on the ladder near lamp. But from my experience (again), drawing from still life doesn't work for me :(
But you need to learn to draw still life because soon you will need it (i take architecture study and i forced to draw from still life and my eyes got burned)

Youtube tutorials and Art books also great. Dont ask me how to get books for free here. (you can PM me :D) And, try copying pencils art from DA are great way to learn shading. I think I got off topic, but..... whatever.

Draw random thing from imagination will improve your creativity and train your hands to draw. It wont improve drawing skill so much.

You have low VGA so your shadow setting is low.
You should ask this on DA or other art forum, not here (you wont find good answer about art in here, well... maybe one or two)

I am just gonna answer this with simple answer.
People say "Practice makes perfect", most artists start with drawing fruits.
But, from my experience, it will be easier if you start with draw something you like. For example, I like to draw characters from games. So I searched the images and turn them to black and white. I did that for around 2 months. Soon you will understand lighting and shading. (also, its kinda funny, after that I tried to turn the images back to with color and i saw them like "shit its so HD")
attachment.php

Also, drawing thing in your house wont be that useful for beginner because there are many light source. So you need a desk lamp, or take ladder from your garden and draw on the ladder near lamp. But from my experience (again), drawing from still life doesn't work for me :(
But you need to learn to draw still life because soon you will need it (i take architecture study and i forced to draw from still life and my eyes got burned)

Youtube tutorials and Art books also great. Dont ask me how to get books for free here. (you can PM me :D) And, try copying pencils art from DA are great way to learn shading. I think I got off topic, but..... whatever.

Draw random thing from imagination will improve your creativity and train your hands to draw. It wont improve drawing skill so much.

so is desk lamp huh? many light source, maybe thats why,
I try to draw stuff in house because Is Still Life? XD I don't have a place for it, so I try to draw stuff in my house hehe

If you're saying YouTube tutorial, that's what im doing almost every weekend, but anyway, it won't improve my skill much if i don't practice :V It only teaches technique, and concept. (Well, Im "drawing it in my mind when watching youtube videos tho XD")

People always says practice makes perfect, of course i know that, the problem is HOW TO PRACTICE XD
I wanna practice thats why I ask how :p
Anyway, This is the only forum i know how to use, Thats why i post here :p

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
What you are asking is not making much sense to me.

If you are doing digital art you may need to make sure your display is correctly colour calibrated otherwise you will be unable to choose appropriate colours to match real colours so produce art in the wrong colours.

In closed rooms lit by artificial lighting shadows are not well pronounced on objects. This is because the artificial lights themselves are not that bright (compared with direct sunlight on the equator) and also act more like point sources in the middle of the room than directional lights (eg from a Window). Since the room is sealed, the light reflects off the walls (and contents) of the room and hence provides back scatter to surfaces not directly exposed to the lights. Due to the level of back scatter (especially in rooms with white painted walls) and low intensity of light the result is practically no visible shadows or shading on objects inside a room. If one looks very carefully there is a minor brightness difference between directly exposed surfaces and not exposed surfaces but the difference is so low that it can be hard to perceive and re-create.

Generally when people are painting still life they use studio lighting. These are directional lamps which are aimed at the object which mimic natural light. Additionally if painting is done rapidly or during the same time of day over a week or two then a Window facing the sun can be used. Outside on a clear day there is little problem seeing discernible shadows on objects (the problem is seeing the detail in the shadows since the contrast is too much for human eyes to perceive). If it is cloudy then there is no strong directional light source so back scatter levels are such that shadows become hard to discern.

Status
Not open for further replies.