1. Are you planning to upload your awesome model to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Gnoll Workers

Submitted by Direfury
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
Basic worker, and special black version, possibly useable as a 'raider' or 'thief' type worker.

Feel free to use and/or edit these models, so long as you credit me for my work.

EDIT:
Increased texture contrast.
EDIT:
Changed texture, fixed animation details.

Keywords:
Gnoll, Wolf, Creep, Critter, Silverpaw, Tribe, Worker, Peon, Peasant, Acolyte, Drudge, Dreg, Slave, Builder
Contents

Gnoll Workers (Model)

Gnoll Workers (Model)

Reviews
15:53, 3rd Apr 2016 HappyTauren: There's definitely room for improvement regarding the texture and some animations, but since you've decided you won't work more on them, I will just go on and approve this, since it is a quality resource nonetheless....
  1. 15:53, 3rd Apr 2016
    HappyTauren: There's definitely room for improvement regarding the texture and some animations, but since you've decided you won't work more on them, I will just go on and approve this, since it is a quality resource nonetheless. The wood clipping with face isn't too noticeable in the game, and some wc3 models have this issue as well anyway.

2. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    This one came first, so I'll leave my joint comments here... While it's an interesting model & I'm glad to see someone fleshing out Gnolls, more than perhaps any other submission these would not fit in-game. The textures are simply too flat & broad, & the definitions/proportionsn are waaay different.

For your own purposes/style, it's probably just fine (though the textures still seem too... stark?). For in-game, it's in need of a lot.

I wonder why it is that the "dog-men" of Azeroth are the feral ones?

3. Whitewolf8

Whitewolf8

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well, Hyenas are known for being little bastards. ...and hyenas aren't technically dogs.

As for the model though, it's nicely done, I love it. ...Aside from it being exceedingly different to anything ingame. I may check out animations later if I remember.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  4. Roland

Roland

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    I think you came these ideas off from Tarrasque's doodles <3

5. Misha

Misha

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    kinda more reminding of a balkan mythological 'Psoglav' creature than a hyena-like gnoll..

feels good tho..

6. JesusHipster

JesusHipster

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    All the Gnoll models you just posted have pretty charismatic facial and body features but this texture just won't do. My first idea was that you've managed to make it with wc3 textures, but if it's a custom texture there is definitely a problem. Imagine this among wc3 models or at very least your other models, this won't look good because of the lack of shading and fur details. Good call you made it with one shared texture, might be easier to fix the issue.

7. Direfury

Direfury

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Look at this.
    Now, look at this.
    Finally, look at this. If you'll look, the only bits of noticeable, ragged fur are the mane and tail. Possibly a tuft of fur on the chin. Every other bit of fur is rather fine.

I decided not to go for details that fine, because, one, to do so in any meaningful way, I would either need to increase the texture size to 512x512, or put in pitifully miniscule details that would be outright unnoticeable ingame. I've checked my models from the distance and angle of Warcraft, and due to the distinct, noticeable differences in color, my models seemed to fit nicely.

Their 'lack' of definition made them slightly more pleasing at cinematic angles, and still left them easily identifiable from the ingame angle.

I'm considering the criticisms, and so far, but increasing contrast is simply not helping.

8. Darklycan51

Darklycan51

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Too big of a file size when the texture looks like it's cell shaded or something

9. Direfury

Direfury

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I'm going to spell this out. This download includes two models, and unfortunately, because I couldn't upload them without it, a texture shared by all of my gnoll models.

No wonder the filesize is big. I had to include the texture.

10. Misha

Misha

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    so the texture is twice or less the size

11. Direfury

Direfury

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    What.

I guess I'll have to explain this. I wanted to keep the texture separate. Make it so it WOULDN'T clog up the filesize of each individual download, and make it so you'd only have to download it once. I couldn't. So, because of that, each download is larger than it has to be.

And to be clear, I combined three 128x128 textures, taking up the same amount of space as the texture for the Peon, Peasant, Footman, and nearly every other ingame unit. If you want more detail, make individual textures for each one, OR make a larger, 512x512 version of the shared texture.

I'm not trying to be aggressive or mean, but the overwhelming majority of complaints I get are about the most basic, most obviously simple things. If someone else can do a better job with the texture file than I did, go ahead, I'll give them credit and use that instead.

I've got nothing more to say about the texture or filesize, and refuse to address anything more on those topics.

12. rcshaggy

rcshaggy

Resources:
    Resources:
  13. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I'm not sure why anyone doesn't understand the whole "deceptively-large filesize" issue. That's no problem for me; I'm glad you were able to make it work with one shared texture. My biggest issue is how poorly I feel they will fit next to regular, in-game Gnolls; even a quick Google Image search re-confirms my notion that the regular Gnolls are a lot... messier (texture-wise). Smaller-limbed, as well.

Still, just my thoughts.

14. HappyCockroach

HappyCockroach

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I like your gnolls. They have spirit, and the mesh is nicely executed.

The texture isn't bad, it's just more direfurish than warcraftish. If you made your own game it, with consistent style, all your models would do nicely. But for wc3 it does stand out as a different pattern. (you should consider doing collaborative models with good (and wc3ish) texturers from thw, that would probably put out DC models :p ...or using in-game textures, really..)

The wc3 style is: mesh gives structure, texture gives detail and even helps defining the shape.
    And yours is: mesh gives structure and details, and the texture gives color. (with some exceptions)

Your animation style is a bit different than the warcraftish too, but it does work better than most custom anims we see around.

Apart from those issues, I do believe thw shall be grateful for your gnoll pack and they will appear in many maps around. The commenters are generally more picky than the actual users of the resources :p

15. stein123

stein123

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:

Totally agree :thumbs_up:, btw, can you make a worgen version from these units? *-* *-* *-*

16. N41

N41

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    These are nicely made Gnolls. Different from default wc3 Gnolls (In positive way). They have their own style!

You can put all your Gnoll models in one pack with the shared skin or zip it and put it in pastebin or somewhere..

Optimisation hardly saves any KB's so what you have done is best you can..

On side note:
    You might like to fix this
    screenshot
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

17. just checked the unwrap on the textures, it is pretty detailed IMO.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2016
  18. Stefan.K

Stefan.K

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I thought you don't like WoW. :p

19. WhiteFang

WhiteFang

Resources:
    Resources:
    I appreciate it that you made a full set of gnoll units.It makes it so easy to make a gnoll themed map or just add a fully functional gnoll faction to a map