• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Defense / Survival] Gladiator (Alpha)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Gladiator (Small).png

A Hero survival focused on fast paced combat,
where "right click and wait", is not
going to get you through.

Download Map
Version 0.1.2 Alpha
Last updated February 2, 2019

Currently working on implementing an entire new attack system, and developing a new round.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

- Map Concept -
Simply survive each round by defeating all the enemies.

HOWEVER

Each round presents a new unique challenge, which you have to adjust your play style to.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

- Completed features -

12 unique rounds (including 1 boss)
1 Gladiator (Hero), with a unique ability set
Artifact system and 6 artifacts
Terrain

- Pending Features -

8 more rounds
More Gladiators + Artifacts
A life and/or point system
Multiplayer functionality

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

How you can help
Play the map, and give your oppinion! :) Any critisicm, bugs and suggestions are more than welcome!

Future Updates
I will post updates here, and I plan to do some development videos
on YouTube!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Gameplay Video

Screenshots

Arena.png Arena2.png

Shop.png ThroughFireAndFlames.png

Gameplay Guide

This is just a short introduction to some of the custom mechanics introduced in this map

Enemy Mechanics
Units spawning in each round are unique with their own set of mechanics, which you need to counter. Keep in mind that some rounds may seem hard, until you figure out how to handle the mechanics of the round!

Artifacts
2 of your item slots are reserved for ‘artifact’ items. These are items, which alter your abilities in some way. You may only have 1 of each artifact at a time.
You may be rewarded with new artifacts when winning rounds.

Energy
Instead of Mana you play with “Energy”. This is restored quickly, but only few items alter your Energy.

Charge
A resource for the Gladiator, which takes the place of the experience bar. The Orc Gladiator’s Charge is Rage.

Healing Orbs
Instead of potions, each rounds spawns 4 healing orbs (5 on boss round). Each orb heals a bit instantly, as well as periodically over 8 seconds.

Progression
You’ll unlock more abilities, items and artifacts when you win rounds.

Other
  • Agility, strength and intelligence has NO effect - just haven’t removed them yet.

Previous Releases

Version 0.1.2 (Alpha)
February 2, 2019

Version 0.1.1 (Alpha)
January 4, 2019

Version 0.1 (Alpha)
December 14, 2018

MADE WITH

wurstscriptlogo.png
WURSTSCRIPT

Attachments

• Gladiator-0.1a.w3x
    489 KB · Views: 88
  • Gladiator-v0.1.1a.w3x
    724.3 KB · Views: 103
  • Gladiator-v0.1.2a.w3x
    741 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Level 5
Update: First development video is uploaded: just some simple item presentation! :)

h

Currently working on new rounds, so next video will be the process of developing a new round! Subscribe to stay update ;)

bethmachine

Banned
Level 8
Okay this seems pretty interesting bro. I wont be able to test it out any time soon. But what are your plans for this on the reforged update?

Level 5
Thanks buddy, and that's alright! ;) No direct plans yet, and in any case it probably won't be with this map. Hope to use most of the systems for another on however in sort of the same style as this.

Level 11
Mmmm... You sayed
where "right click and wait", is not
going to get you through.
, but It continue existing. What about (it's hard, so prepare yourself) a new sistem of attack, with a canalizable skill, and deduce yourself the other things.
I wanted to create this system for a long time, but I did not find a good possibility of use, and I think that you have one in which this system would fit perfectly

Level 5
Mmmm... You sayed , but It continue existing. What about (it's hard, so prepare yourself) a new sistem of attack, with a canalizable skill, and deduce yourself the other things.
I wanted to create this system for a long time, but I did not find a good possibility of use, and I think that you have one in which this system would fit perfectly

Let me start by saying thanks for your interest!

I'm not entirely sure, what you mean ;) Do you have a system that you want me to use, or are you suggesting that I remake the system?

And yes, the auto-attack will keep existing, but the frequency at which you use abilities is high - that is the goal anyway :D

Level 11
It was a suggestion, but I imagined it would be too complicated. Anyway, I wanted to mention it.
I wish I had the system finished, but, as I said, it was an undeveloped idea due to the lack of a map in which it would be appropriate to apply it, since it would only fit in those maps whose objective was to be complex in itself.
The idea was quite strange. You activate a channeling skill, in which the damage will vary according to the load time, and if the load time is too high, a part of the damage would be returned (by the rebound effect, if you hit a weapon with too much force, this If you consider that it is too strange for the player or prefer the auto-attack system, then stay with him, after all, as you said, in the videos it is clear that you castrate one skill every half a thousandth of a second...

Level 6
Looks interesting,
Reminds me of a map I made for procrastinating a bit for myself.
One thing I added to my map, what I think could be interesting for yours as well, was some healing totems in each corner which slowly charged up the healing amount
and when a hero came close to one of them it healed the hero for this amount.
The charge itself was really slow so you can't stay in the corner and slay all enemies but have to walk around to get the most efficient way to heal yourself.
Also I think it would be better that enemies drop the healing spheres instead of them being created randomly on the area this increases the tactics vs luck ratio.
I would do it like:
Enemy dies > special effect shows a sphere spawns soon > after x time healing sphere spawns on this position.
this gives the player enough time to move away if he don't need the heal yet.

Level 5
It was a suggestion, but I imagined it would be too complicated. Anyway, I wanted to mention it.
I wish I had the system finished, but, as I said, it was an undeveloped idea due to the lack of a map in which it would be appropriate to apply it, since it would only fit in those maps whose objective was to be complex in itself.
The idea was quite strange. You activate a channeling skill, in which the damage will vary according to the load time, and if the load time is too high, a part of the damage would be returned (by the rebound effect, if you hit a weapon with too much force, this If you consider that it is too strange for the player or prefer the auto-attack system, then stay with him, after all, as you said, in the videos it is clear that you castrate one skill every half a thousandth of a second...

Ah, that sounds really cool - love the creativity ;) Think it's a bit too complicated for this map, and removes the focus of beating round mechanics a bit too much. But would really like to try and develop such a system to see if it actually works, and cool to play with.

Looks interesting,
Reminds me of a map I made for procrastinating a bit for myself.
One thing I added to my map, what I think could be interesting for yours as well, was some healing totems in each corner which slowly charged up the healing amount
and when a hero came close to one of them it healed the hero for this amount.
The charge itself was really slow so you can't stay in the corner and slay all enemies but have to walk around to get the most efficient way to heal yourself.
Also I think it would be better that enemies drop the healing spheres instead of them being created randomly on the area this increases the tactics vs luck ratio.
I would do it like:
Enemy dies > special effect shows a sphere spawns soon > after x time healing sphere spawns on this position.
this gives the player enough time to move away if he don't need the heal yet.

Haha, yeah that also kinda where this started ;) Just wanted to make a quick and very simple survival because I was procrastinating from another project, but now look... Haha :D

Healing totems sounds is a really cool idea. I have plans for this map to be the stepping stone to another, where I'll reuse a lot of the systems. And I think those totems would be really awesome for that map! For now I think I'll stick to the Healing Orbs in this, as they are prettey integrated into the system :D And actually, they're not that random. Their spawn time is pretty fixed and each round always spawns 4 orbs - so I think that adding it to unit would randomise it perhaps? Not sure. ;)
You're correct that there is currently a problem with the orbs spawning on top of you - this has caused me to die on rounds several times. But was thinking to solve that simply by making sure they spawn like 500 range away from you. However, I really like the idea you're suggesting of giving a warning to the player that they're spawning so I might just implement that rather than the minimum spawn distance :D

And thanks for the interest! It's great to get these idea's ;)

Level 5
Hm, now that I think about, this extra healing from totems could be quite interesting, so there would be 2 healing sources. Or perhaps the totems wouldn't heal, but instead give some sort of buff or something, like a shrines from Diablo.

Level 6
Yes this kind if projects are actually pretty fun because they are just for fun projects:D with no pressure to create something fantastic.
Sadly my map was on my other computer so there is no chance to give it as idea source.
I remember tho that 80% of the abilities was used to move ( a dash damaging all passed units or a lightning chain that on reactivate mover the hero to the last hit unit)
Because it got pretty cluttered and the vanilla pathfinding didn't worked.
Also the totems gave you actually mana as well, I think 2 parts mana to 1part health but a buff sounds good too.:goblin_yeah:
About the different battle style:
With the new natives could you track how long you press one mouse key and use this instead of a channel ability.

Level 5
Hm, what kind of pathfinding problems did you find? Because right now everything is working quite nicely actually :D And I'm keeping away from abilities that teleport you for now, as I would have to create some sort of system to keep them within the bounds of the arena. But who doesn't like a good ol' dash ability? ;)

Yeah, I will try and look into the totem mechanic some time - think it could be pretty cool ;)

With the new natives could you track how long you press one mouse key and use this instead of a channel ability.

Not sure - it would require that you can register that the key is lifted I suppose.

Level 5
The only problem was that it got pretty full in my map so the enemies blocked the hero.
for the charging it is possible made a small example map:

Not expecting to have that problem, as there is a limit to how many units there will be at the map ;) But I see how it could be necessary.

That is really cool! And very cool demonstration man! I see how that could be used for a map, but I think one would have to consider that it will take a lot of the focus of the map - becaues it requires quite a lot of your attention ;) But really awesome to see that it actally works. Would it be possible to attach to a different key other than mouse. I don't think it would be super intuitive to use the mouse.

And merry christmas btw :) :) :)

Level 5
New year, new update!
Entering the new year, I thought I might give an update!

New series on YouTube!
I've started a miniseries on YouTube in which I take you through the development of an entire round:

The map has been updated!
Including following changes:

- Item rewards for Round 10 (Boss)
- Round 11 and 12 has been implemented including rewards
- Added +5 skill training
- Fixed bug with physical damage not being calculated correctly
- Fixed spell damage, and implemented new spell reduction items.
- Made some changes to artifacts (moved some artifacts to other levels).

Just hit the original download for the newest release!

The playable difference is not huge, since a lot of my work atm is planning for the rest of the map. I've also started work on a lot of things rather than finishing them, so I hope next update will bring more!

On another note...
I've spend a lot of time fixing my video recording software (more than I'd like), and all in all the christmas has not been as productive as I've hoped :( Starting new semester soon, but I hope (and aim towards) still working a bunch on the map!

Anyways - hope you all had a lovely christmas, and happy new year ;)
- Lake

Level 6
Happy new year better late than never.
will check the map out on time.
I'm really happy to see someone is doing some tutorials of warcraft map making I see here a huge lack of content and I'm glad to see that your content will help others to learn more.

Level 5
Happy new year better late than never.
Haha, I know right? ;)

I'm really happy to see someone is doing some tutorials of warcraft map making I see here a huge lack of content and I'm glad to see that your content will help others to learn more.

Glad to hear! ;) Right now though, it's not so much of a tutorial, but more a "behind the scenes" kind of thing. But it's the first video, and if people are really interested in getting more of a tutorial thing, then I will probably turn it more to that direction.

Level 5
New Attack System?

So I've been toying around with an entirely new attack / ability system, which removes auto-attacking completely, and it uses "hover abilities": abilities, which are automatically cast at your mouse position in the map.

See the demos below. It only shows regular attacks, which are triggere by abilities. Q = Cleave attack, W = stab attack.
It attacks where your cursor is, and if no unit is there you'll miss.

full

If you attack before your "attack" cooldown has finished, you'll "fumble" and restart the cooldown (mana bar)

full

full

Some combat

full

----------
This is just a teaser. A more official version / example of the system will be released soon for discussion and development ;)

Took the tips and advice from you guys - not an exact replica, but decided to work with the autoattack system.

Mmmm... You sayed , but It continue existing. What about (it's hard, so prepare yourself) a new sistem of attack, with a canalizable skill, and deduce yourself the other things.

The only problem was that it got pretty full in my map so the enemies blocked the hero.
for the charging it is possible made a small example map:

Level 5
Small Update:
Version 0.1.2a Release

Finished The naga Round

Finished the Naga round completely including balancing and item rewards! With this, I realeased another dev log as well:

This also means, that all footage for the next dev logs is ready, I just have to make the videoes :)

New Combat system
I've been very busy working a new combat system for the map (see the teaser above), and you can participate in the development for this. Just head to my forum post in the Idea Factory here.

Going public with GitHub!
So I've decided to go bit more public with my GitHub page! Here you can follow each step in the development, and get a really up-to-date map. This is also where I plan the project and keep track of ideas and bugs, if you want some insight into that :)

Next update
My focus for the next update will be put on finishing all rounds up to round 15, and prepare the map for the new combat system as well as developing multiplayer!

On another note:
Next semester will begin for me, so I will probably have a bit less time to work on the project. I'll make sure to keep you guys updated, on where the project is heading!

Thanks for following / checking out my project!
- Lake :)

Status
Not open for further replies.