• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Get tooltip function

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
Is there a way to get a unit's tooltip somehow?
I want to make a simple hero selection system for my map. When the player clicks on a hero its tooltip would show up in a text message. No, I don't want to use taverns. I have 27 heroes and it would be a pain in the ass to write 27 ifs for them.

Level 7
I got bad news for you...
in gui its impossible as far as i know

well.. copy n paste is your friend !
For the ifs... do a string array and a herotype array ( i think u might already have one ?)
Then compare those arrays to get the right string and then show it

so you still have to copy n paste tooltips 27 times but not that much if/then/else ;)

Level 12
If you want a idea of tavern system I use this on my map:

• Hero Purchase
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit enters Heroes Tavern <gen>
    • Conditions
      • (Unit-type of (Entering unit)) Not equal to Choose a Hero
    • Actions
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • ((Owner of (Entering unit)) is an ally of Player 1 (Red)) Equal to True
          • Arena Equal to Mystic Fountain
        • Then - Actions
          • Set temppoint = (Center of Base1 1 <gen>)
          • Unit - Move (Entering unit) instantly to temppoint
          • Camera - Pan camera for (Owner of (Entering unit)) to temppoint over 0.00 seconds
          • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_temppoint)
        • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
          • ((Owner of (Entering unit)) is an ally of Player 2 (Blue)) Equal to True
          • Arena Equal to Mystic Fountain
        • Then - Actions
          • Set temppoint = (Center of Base2 1 <gen>)
          • Unit - Move (Entering unit) instantly to temppoint
          • Camera - Pan camera for (Owner of (Entering unit)) to temppoint over 0.00 seconds
          • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_temppoint)
        • Else - Actions
      • Selection - Select (Entering unit) for (Owner of (Entering unit))
      • -------- Here will disable new heroes --------
        • If - Conditions
          • HeroUnitType[(Player number of (Owner of (Entering unit)))] Equal to No unit-type
        • Then - Actions
          • Set PlayerHero[(Player number of (Owner of (Entering unit)))] = (Entering unit)
          • Set HeroUnitType[(Player number of (Owner of (Entering unit)))] = (Unit-type of (Entering unit))
          • Player Group - Pick every player in (All players) and do (Actions)
            • Loop - Actions
              • Player - Make HeroUnitType[(Player number of (Owner of (Entering unit)))] Unavailable for training/construction by (Picked player)
          • For each (Integer A) from 0 to 3, do (Actions)
            • Loop - Actions
              • Player - Make AllHeroes[(Integer A)] Unavailable for training/construction by (Owner of (Entering unit))
        • Else - Actions
            • If - Conditions
              • HeroUnitType[(Player number of (Owner of (Entering unit)))] Not equal to (Unit-type of (Entering unit))
            • Then - Actions
              • Set tempforce = (All players matching (((Matching player) Food used) Equal to 0))
              • Player Group - Pick every player in tempforce and do (Actions)
                • Loop - Actions
                  • Player - Make HeroUnitType[(Player number of (Owner of (Entering unit)))] Available for training/construction by (Picked player)
              • Custom script: call DestroyForce(udg_tempforce)
              • Set PlayerHero[(Player number of (Owner of (Entering unit)))] = (Entering unit)
              • Set HeroUnitType[(Player number of (Owner of (Entering unit)))] = (Unit-type of (Entering unit))
              • Player Group - Pick every player in (All players) and do (Actions)
                • Loop - Actions
                  • Player - Make HeroUnitType[(Player number of (Owner of (Entering unit)))] Unavailable for training/construction by (Picked player)
            • Else - Actions
In map initialization I set all the heroes in the AllHeroes[x] array.

Level 17
My map is 95% JASS :p
Hero type array isn't necessary for the copy-paste function, you can use the custom unit value on the heroes, and actually, you don't have to copy-paste either, you can refer to the game's constant strings, for example "TRIGSTR_012" if you look them up.

Edit:
Saishy, thanks, but I don't want to use a tavern system, I made my selection system already for the map, I just don't want to add +60 unnecessary lines to it, I want to keep clean code.

Level 12
My map is 95% JASS :p
Hero type array isn't necessary for the copy-paste function, you can use the custom unit value on the heroes, and actually, you don't have to copy-paste either, you can refer to the game's constant strings, for example "TRIGSTR_012" if you look them up.

Edit:
Saishy, thanks, but I don't want to use a tavern system, I made my selection system already for the map, I just don't want to add +60 unnecessary lines to it, I want to keep clean code.

Copy paste until you find out a solution, I say.

It's better to progress primitively than to waste your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.