• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

German keyboard button issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
I just did a test of my game with a full lobby, all English players or players with a standard keyboard had no issues. But the German players have a slightly different keyboard. I've looked at their keyboard and it seems only Y and Z are switched around, and a few accent keys added/changed but those keys are nowhere near the keys used in my game.

They have issues with the B and G key. When they press it nothing happens vs when other players press it, it opens the build menu.

What do I do about this?
Is my only solution to figure out which keys they are pressing and add those as custom keys to the same abilities/build menu. Or is there some sort of fix for this? Anyone else have this issue?

Level 13
the problem is not the keyboard, but the game language.

The german version has different default hotkeys than the english version.

which means if you haven't changed the hotkey for the ability the game uses the languages default one.

In your example opening the building menu is:
G - in German Version
B - in English version

so i guess you basically have to use custom keys for everything then it should be fine

Level 12
the problem is not the keyboard, but the game language.

The german version has different default hotkeys than the english version.

which means if you haven't changed the hotkey for the ability the game uses the languages default one.

In your example opening the building menu is:
G - in German Version
B - in English version

so i guess you basically have to use custom keys for everything then it should be fine

By custom keys you mean I have to check if they pressed 'X' key and activate the ability?

Level 13
no, just use a key which is different from the default one. basically make it turn "red" in the object editor.

although this is just my guess. you somehow have to make sure that hotkeys stay the same for all languages and the only way to do that which i can think of, is using customized hotkeys for everything.

Level 12
no, just use a key which is different from the default one. basically make it turn "red" in the object editor.

although this is just my guess. you somehow have to make sure that hotkeys stay the same for all languages and the only way to do that which i can think of, is using customized hotkeys for everything.

They key should be the same as on the German keyboard, it's in the same place. How do I make it "turn red"

Level 13
i did a quick search and i couldn't find a way to change the default hotkeys like building, movement, attack, stop; so i'm afraid you will have to work out a solution which let's the player know that he has to use the default hotkey of his version of the game.
if your don't change the text of something like "build sth..." then he should still know what to press, as the default letter is usuallly highlighted.

Level 12
i did a quick search and i couldn't find a way to change the default hotkeys like building, movement, attack, stop; so i'm afraid you will have to work out a solution which let's the player know that he has to use the default hotkey of his version of the game.
if your don't change the text of something like "build sth..." then he should still know what to press, as the default letter is usuallly highlighted.
I already asked the German guys, they said only Blinking and building of a goldmine was wrong. So building/ability. Do I need to remake the ability to be able to change the default key to red? (In this case the default key is what I need it to be and wont light up red.)

Level 13
yes you have to remake the ability, however you cannot change the hotkeys of basic functions like move or build for all players (at least not to my knowledge)
if it's for a building, then same solution, just change it to something different from the default.

Level 12
yes you have to remake the ability, however you cannot change the hotkeys of basic functions like move or build for all players (at least not to my knowledge)
if it's for a building, then same solution, just change it to something different from the default.
yep it seems to be just the building/ability that have issues so all good. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.