• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Generic Melee Map

This bundle is marked as awaiting update. A staff member has requested changes to it before it can be approved.
- A map, as the name suggests, quite generic to play with friends or against the AI -
. Item tables adjustment - June 07, 2023
. Cosmetic changes, item tables adjustment and more wood added - June 05, 2023
. Almost everything - I think it's worse now than before :ogre_hurrhurr: - June 02, 2023
Contents

Generic Melee Map (Map)

Reviews
Remixer
Review - Generic Melee Map (Version June 7th 2023) Description: Generic Melee Map is a Cityscape-themed melee map for 4 players. True to its name, the fields of war are crude and cruel. While the map functions in its current state, there's room for...
Level 26
New mapper mean new map! It's kinda nice to have a few new mapper into the community :D
This is a quick review from me.
-x-
-Random lv3 item isn't great. at least defined it's type, choose one between charge/permanent. It might be at the same level. but in competitive or even custom the two aren't equal.
-Another item issues, too many value drop stick together in the same camp.
-A camp should be mix between Melee/Range unit to avoid all-air army(or at least all ground creep but skill that able to attack air like AL). Another thing that follow up but could be ignore if you were just start to mapping is medium/heavy armor. Which could help some race to creep easier in the early game.
-Gaps between doodads, beware of this: why? It might cause to create a whole "hide'n seek" forest for wisp and enemy. Finding one wisp in the forest isn't a great idea to deal with. Same with other doodad type random creep might stuck inside like worker, and some might not be able to get it. Like how floating box/rowing boat were remove from SG.
-Sometime visual decorate is great, but sometime it could be a visual problem like blocking the gameplay flow: like how "Arch" on CH was remove back then.
-Bad Treeline, Warcraft is a game that required great tree line to create a safe early game. Especially HU/UD to protect their worker from early FS or whatever rush/harass stuff. It's a must.
-Too many critter, nowadays critter only place a few to benefit undead creep route.
-Creep aggro? Welp, some people might found that this is a problem. So feel free to think about this.
-Creep at expo at least should one who hasn't set to camp. What is a problem with this one you might ask? Look at the middle of meso(FFA map) Any race can build base at night to skip the building time after creep. Which most people say that this is not okay.
-x-
That's all the basic after this is my opinion,
-too many unnecessary small path like at the pond. Too small mostly if I has to creep there I would pull. But not use that as passage.
-I don't think that one side Merc and another DR is a good idea. If you want to do that I advice to create a one way entrance like on NI or AL.
-walkable/buildable cliff/isles that didn't create from normal path but can access from zeppelin or boat is a bad. At least fill it with "ground path blocker" or other doodad.

Level 23
New mapper mean new map! It's kinda nice to have a few new mapper into the community :D
This is a quick review from me.
-x-
-Random lv3 item isn't great. at least defined it's type, choose one between charge/permanent. It might be at the same level. but in competitive or even custom the two aren't equal.
-Another item issues, too many value drop stick together in the same camp.
-A camp should be mix between Melee/Range unit to avoid all-air army(or at least all ground creep but skill that able to attack air like AL). Another thing that follow up but could be ignore if you were just start to mapping is medium/heavy armor. Which could help some race to creep easier in the early game.
-Gaps between doodads, beware of this: why? It might cause to create a whole "hide'n seek" forest for wisp and enemy. Finding one wisp in the forest isn't a great idea to deal with. Same with other doodad type random creep might stuck inside like worker, and some might not be able to get it. Like how floating box/rowing boat were remove from SG.
-Sometime visual decorate is great, but sometime it could be a visual problem like blocking the gameplay flow: like how "Arch" on CH was remove back then.
-Bad Treeline, Warcraft is a game that required great tree line to create a safe early game. Especially HU/UD to protect their worker from early FS or whatever rush/harass stuff. It's a must.
-Too many critter, nowadays critter only place a few to benefit undead creep route.
-Creep aggro? Welp, some people might found that this is a problem. So feel free to think about this.
-Creep at expo at least should one who hasn't set to camp. What is a problem with this one you might ask? Look at the middle of meso(FFA map) Any race can build base at night to skip the building time after creep. Which most people say that this is not okay.
-x-
That's all the basic after this is my opinion,
-too many unnecessary small path like at the pond. Too small mostly if I has to creep there I would pull. But not use that as passage.
-I don't think that one side Merc and another DR is a good idea. If you want to do that I advice to create a one way entrance like on NI or AL.
-walkable/buildable cliff/isles that didn't create from normal path but can access from zeppelin or boat is a bad. At least fill it with "ground path blocker" or other doodad.
Thank you very much for the review, to be honest, yesterday I was bored and started doing this, I finished and uploaded it without much thought. I have looked at the requirements of a map of this type a hundred times but I always end up forgetting it because I do very few of these and usually just for bored. In any case, when I have time again I will review it and apply some changes.

Regards.

Last edited:
the trees hits me hard with nostalgia, I remember my first mapS when I would just paste some square chunks of trees, a mine and call it a base xD, good thing no one saw my maps because they died along with my HDD in 2012 xD
and I'm not even gonna bother uploading to hive, pain in the ass lol.
map option has to be on "melee" not default.

Last edited:
Level 23
the trees hits me hard with nostalgia, I remember my first mapS when I would just paste some square chunks of trees, a mine and call it a base xD, good thing no one saw my maps because they died along with my HDD in 2012 xD
and I'm not even gonna bother uploading to hive, pain in the ass lol.
map option has to be on "melee" not default.
The few maps of this type that I have made have always been like this, I have always been very bad at creating melee maps but hey, there's no need to be ashamed :ogre_hurrhurr:

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Review - Generic Melee Map
(Version June 7th 2023)
Description: Generic Melee Map is a Cityscape-themed melee map for 4 players. True to its name, the fields of war are crude and cruel. While the map functions in its current state, there's room for improvement for a more enjoyable and balanced melee game experience.
Terrain: The terrain is acceptable with nice tile variation used in the more rustic parts of the map. The slight naturalistic chaos is abruptly switched to a very clinical (perhaps too much so) style of the Cityscape, creating a little disturbing level of contrast between the two styles. The treelines have been mentioned already here, they are indeed blocky, which in Cityscape is acceptable, but you could perhaps consider making them look more natural at certain locations. The placement of trees with a large/narrow gap behind the blocky tree piles also shifts the gameplay towards an unhealthy hit-and-run style that favors some races a little too much. Often some decorative objects (Obelisks, Piles of Junk, Rocks) have been placed in so great way, creating an obstacle without giving enough visual indication for it and in places where it distrubs units' movement in awkward ways.
Layout: The layout consists of a lot of narrow passages near the main pathways, giving the routing a strange vibe - you constantly get a feeling you might be surprised from behind. Many creeps are also placed in a way that obstructs fluent movement across the map. Typically you want players to have an interaction with the environment only when they intend to, which does not happen on this map. The layout itself is generic, with unusual choices done in some smaller paths running here and there.
Creeps: The creeps obstruct and interrupt players in many places on the map (Merchant camps, Green Ogre camp, Central Expansion camps), and this should be either fixed or made more apparent (intentional). The creeps themselves fit the map and create logical camps and appropriate strength. The item drops are a little too chaotic with no classification of item classes: A player can end up with 4 Permanent items from the first 3 camps. Additionally doing the item drops in this fashion causes the map to be viable only on a specific game version, thus it would be better to create item drops by defining the item level and class, instead of choosing individual items as drop options. Generally, you want to avoid having the possibility to obtain the same item (apart from power-ups) twice. The corner expansions also drop a little too good items with the items of 2+2, while the creep camp strength is only 12. The Granite Golems are placed quite awkwardly, having such strong creeps just above a ramp can be a little annoying to fight against. You should also recheck which creep camps or creeps are on camp mode and adjust them (at least the Green Ogre camp should be on camp, though its placement overall is quite awkward).
Gameplay: The players must pay too much attention to the surroundings with creeps possibly attacking from their camps while the players are trying to just pass by. Additional stress is caused by narrow passages behind the usual pathways, giving the gameplay a somewhat intimidating feel. Still, the game functions with each player having a fair chance against the opponents. The gameplay could be greatly improved by finetuning the creep camp positioning and by improving the terrain clarity (making it clear where to walk and which areas are not for walking).

Recommendations:
You need to fix the item drop tables according to the review or see some tutorials about them. Having no class declared in item drops is rarely a good option.

The visual eye candy could be placed better and in a less obstructive way, similarly to the creep camps: they could be moved around, so it's the players who choose to interact with them, not vice-versa. The map name and description could also be something else than Generic Melee Map, it gives a very unfinished ring to the whole map.

Level 23
Review - Generic Melee Map
(Version June 7th 2023)
Description: Generic Melee Map is a Cityscape-themed melee map for 4 players. True to its name, the fields of war are crude and cruel. While the map functions in its current state, there's room for improvement for a more enjoyable and balanced melee game experience.
Terrain: The terrain is acceptable with nice tile variation used in the more rustic parts of the map. The slight naturalistic chaos is abruptly switched to a very clinical (perhaps too much so) style of the Cityscape, creating a little disturbing level of contrast between the two styles. The treelines have been mentioned already here, they are indeed blocky, which in Cityscape is acceptable, but you could perhaps consider making them look more natural at certain locations. The placement of trees with a large/narrow gap behind the blocky tree piles also shifts the gameplay towards an unhealthy hit-and-run style that favors some races a little too much. Often some decorative objects (Obelisks, Piles of Junk, Rocks) have been placed in so great way, creating an obstacle without giving enough visual indication for it and in places where it distrubs units' movement in awkward ways.
Layout: The layout consists of a lot of narrow passages near the main pathways, giving the routing a strange vibe - you constantly get a feeling you might be surprised from behind. Many creeps are also placed in a way that obstructs fluent movement across the map. Typically you want players to have an interaction with the environment only when they intend to, which does not happen on this map. The layout itself is generic, with unusual choices done in some smaller paths running here and there.
Creeps: The creeps obstruct and interrupt players in many places on the map (Merchant camps, Green Ogre camp, Central Expansion camps), and this should be either fixed or made more apparent (intentional). The creeps themselves fit the map and create logical camps and appropriate strength. The item drops are a little too chaotic with no classification of item classes: A player can end up with 4 Permanent items from the first 3 camps. Additionally doing the item drops in this fashion causes the map to be viable only on a specific game version, thus it would be better to create item drops by defining the item level and class, instead of choosing individual items as drop options. Generally, you want to avoid having the possibility to obtain the same item (apart from power-ups) twice. The corner expansions also drop a little too good items with the items of 2+2, while the creep camp strength is only 12. The Granite Golems are placed quite awkwardly, having such strong creeps just above a ramp can be a little annoying to fight against. You should also recheck which creep camps or creeps are on camp mode and adjust them (at least the Green Ogre camp should be on camp, though its placement overall is quite awkward).
Gameplay: The players must pay too much attention to the surroundings with creeps possibly attacking from their camps while the players are trying to just pass by. Additional stress is caused by narrow passages behind the usual pathways, giving the gameplay a somewhat intimidating feel. Still, the game functions with each player having a fair chance against the opponents. The gameplay could be greatly improved by finetuning the creep camp positioning and by improving the terrain clarity (making it clear where to walk and which areas are not for walking).

Recommendations:
You need to fix the item drop tables according to the review or see some tutorials about them. Having no class declared in item drops is rarely a good option.

The visual eye candy could be placed better and in a less obstructive way, similarly to the creep camps: they could be moved around, so it's the players who choose to interact with them, not vice-versa. The map name and description could also be something else than Generic Melee Map, it gives a very unfinished ring to the whole map.
Thank you for your time and for the review.