• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

General Question about Editor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hello Friends,

so after i was very active in normal wc3 back in the days creating standard melee maps i now do have a big project for an ORPG map.

I started with a little terrain to see how much space the different parts of the map would occupy and unfortunately i came to the point that even the biggest mapsize is too small.

I am currently using vJass - can anyone suggest me an apropriate tool if there is another?

If you need more information on the map to suggest a suitable tool please message me. Thanks for the help :ogre_hurrhurr:

Ps: Yes i tried the search tool but did not end up with anything entierly usefull.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

There is another way than heavily increasing map-size or using JNGP.

Have you ever played Minecraft ? They generate the map using a grid assigning values and creating based on the values certain blocks.

You can do the same in Warcraft modding and using a grid you can create an endless map.
However, it comes with limitations, especially in multi-player.

Level 1
Jass NewGen Pack lets you create the biggest map size possible, which is 512x512 if I recall. If JNGP can't do it, then maybe you're biting off more than you can chew with the capabilities of the War3 engine.

Thanks - i am currently using Jass New Gen Pack / vJass but it did only let me create 256 x 256 - as soon as i get home i'll check if i missed out on something there.

There is another way than heavily increasing map-size or using JNGP.

Have you ever played Minecraft ? They generate the map using a grid assigning values and creating based on the values certain blocks.

You can do the same in Warcraft modding and using a grid you can create an endless map.
However, it comes with limitations, especially in multi-player.

I've never played minecraft but due to your explination i can imagine how it works even tough i can not imagine how that works with warcraft editor - you don't luckily have a guide or something on hand that you could pass me?

Really appreciate the help - this surely won't be my last question - so if anyone is well educated with the different possibilities of creating a more or less complicated wc3 map - looking for Senpai (not looking for someone to do the work for me, just someone that can answer me the questions that might come up during my creation process)

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

I've never played minecraft but due to your explination i can imagine how it works even tough i can not imagine how that works with warcraft editor - you don't luckily have a guide or something on hand that you could pass me?
I worked on it some time ago, as far as I know none really tried to do it this way, for some obvious reasons and there isn't a tutorial or some explanations.

This 'solution' of setting up a grid has some severe flaws.
On the one hand, it allows you to create endless map variations within one map, very useful for dungeons or temporary maps ( you don't even have your full map to be created, you can also create temporary, little areas). However, on the other hand, there are some very odd flaws.
Firstly, you cannot place doodads with this solution, you have to make every doodad a dummy unit ( with locust, for example). This allows you to interact with the environment though, like destroying little doodads like corpses or crates if hit by splash and so on.
Secondly, performance issues. You can imagine that a big map of a size 256x256 has many grid points. Even a big grid point size would lead to up to 65536 points you have to assign manually data to, if you want to use all of them.
Thirdly, mathematics. You have to know Jass to write functions to ease the progress of assigning values to the points and you also have to create combinations to include as many points in one calculation.

If you are really interested in this solution and not scared by the previous points I can show you some stuff, create a guide and how to do it.

Really appreciate the help - this surely won't be my last question - so if anyone is well educated with the different possibilities of creating a more or less complicated wc3 map - looking for Senpai (not looking for someone to do the work for me, just someone that can answer me the questions that might come up during my creation process)
We have very great tutorials here on Hive and you will learn a lot just from creating maps.

One advice, don't start with BIG projects. Keep in mind such projects take years to complete. Maybe start with something easy, to get used to the WE.

If you have questions you can contact me if you want to :)

Level 1
We have very great tutorials here on Hive and you will learn a lot just from creating maps.

One advice, don't start with BIG projects. Keep in mind such projects take years to complete. Maybe start with something easy, to get used to the WE.

If you have questions you can contact me if you want to :)

Thanks for the advice - i mapped alot back the days but never really got into depth with triggers and stuffs. I am currently writing down a plan for the terrain, zones, dungeons, a rough story that will be refined with the ongoing of the process and some hero ideas. As soon as i got a plan i will start with the general zones and the sizing of the dungeons. I guess thats a good plan for starting off with an map. During winter i have alot of freetime from worksides so i can invest roughly 8 hours a day for the map at tops.

I would also be glad to make it a team project if someone is interested.

Level 12
Jass NewGen Pack lets you create the biggest map size possible, which is 512x512 if I recall.

The biggest possible is actually 480x480 with NewGen. Oddly enough, that is A LOT bigger than it sounds. I don't even know how some people fill up a 256x256... Me looking at a 480x480 feels like I'm staring at the entirety of the universe. XD

One bit of advise I have is to make objects (Units, Buildings, Doodads) smaller (Don't forget about collision size for units!) and make tons of custom pathing maps. The smallest possible pathing map is a quarter of the size of the Farm pathing map. Make use of the Pathing view often in this case, so you can make sure your empty space is large enough, to toggle it on or off the hotkey is P and the option is under View.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

^To show how much size you get when making everything smaller, if you scale them down to 90% of their size you get 48x48 more place, stretched at the borders of course, so in theory you have 24 more grids on every site.

Status
Not open for further replies.