• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Gargoyle Transformation Stone Form Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hey it's my first time trying to create a map so i'll annoy you with a few questions starting....... now. muahaha. I figured out how to turn a unit into a gargoyle and got him flying, but when he's idle in the air, he floats there in stone form. It's quite odd. Any idea on how to fix this? Thanks

Level 4
I have no idea what you mean. Idk how to work the whole trigger thing. Trying to figure it out. I just know how to get to it and that the event/condition/action exists. Is there a simple way to do just this one? I give the gargoyle (hero form because a hero has to transform into a hero) the chaos as the default active ability, but there's no change. Also, to bug you more, is there a way for a hero to transform without losing his level and add a duration to the spell?

EDIT: the gargoyle is also shooting a copy of itself that explodes on its target. Kinda cool, but not what I was going for. Any ideas?

Level 4
The shooting copy, you need to change "Combat Attack - Projectile Art"

I'm trying to do the same thing for one of my maps, but i want it to be in more than 1 unit, still trying to figure out how to keep hero level.

The tutorial he gave to you is kinda usefull, but i still have to test some stuff and i will let you know what happen.

Level 4
the projectile art thing worked. thanks for that. I'm sorry to keep bombarding you with questions, but is there a way to only be able to cast spells at night? And my custom spells are appearing on the hero level up spell selection as green with "tooltip missing", but it's fine once i choose to learn it.

Level 4
There should be a way to cast the spell at night only, i just don't know it and i couldn't find a condition for that.

If you have a green icon in the spell selection is because you need to set an icon at "Art - Icon - Research" (arar) wich is below "Art - Icon - Normal" (aart).

For the tooltips, there are two types of tooltips, one is for the spell once you have it and the other is when you're about to learn the spell, inside the abilities select section.

At the very bottom of the spell/ability in the Object Editor you will see the next fields.

"Text - Tooltip - Normal" (atp1)
"Text - Tooltip - Normal - Extended" (aub1)

Above this fields of information you will have..

"Text - Tooltip - Learn" (aret)
"Text - Tooltip - Learn - Extended" (arut)

Those fields are the ones you are missing! And the reason of "Missing tooltip" message.

Level 4
Got it thanks. You've been a big help with this, appreciate it :) But why is the picture, before you learn it, green?

Any easy way to explain waterknight's "trigger action Animation - Add/Remove Unit Animation Tag (onEndcast)"?

Last edited:
Level 4
No problem. Oh, and If you are replacing the unit while the transformation, then you could use something like.

• Unit - Replace (Triggering unit) with a (Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) using The old unit's relative life and mana
  • Hero - Set (Last replaced unit) Hero-level to (Hero level of (Triggering unit)), Hide level-up graphics
  • Unit - Set life of (Last created unit) to (Life of (Triggering unit))
And, if you're creating a new unit

• Unit - Create 1 (Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) for (Picked player) at (Position of (Triggering unit)) facing (Facing of (Triggering unit)) degrees
  • Hero - Set (Last created unit) Hero-level to (Hero level of (Triggering unit)), Hide level-up graphics
  • Unit - Set life of (Last created unit) to (Life of (Triggering unit))
  • Unit - Remove (Triggering unit) from the game
All in actions of your triggered spell, and then the only problem would be to make the unit learn every spell it had before, or you will be making a cheap bug.

But i don't know that part, really sorry. :goblin_cry: I suggest you, to use the tutorial that WaterKnight told you before, that way is really better.

Also, the problem of the stone flying is because you need to remove that animation after transformation.

So the trigger would be something like this one. Still gotta find the right animation, i could be wrong.

• Animation - Remove the (Gargoyle, Stone Form Gargoyle) animation tag to (Last created unit)

Level 26
I give the gargoyle (hero form because a hero has to transform into a hero) the chaos as the default active ability, but there's no change. Also, to bug you more, is there a way for a hero to transform without losing his level and add a duration to the spell?

The gargoyle should not have Chaos but the unit you transform from. Pay also attention to remove the ability requirement. To add a duration you can either take an active morphability like Metamorphosis or revert the unit manually back (in case of Chaos add another Chaos ability to the unit and make sure there is no loop).

The hero level should not be lost anyway if the target is a hero, too.

The "(onEndcast)" is not part of the name of the action. I just wanted to hint that if you use an active morphability like Metamorphosis, I have already mentioned it will apply the animation tag alternate and you can catch the end of the spellcast via trigger to ensure that the ability is finished with doing its stuff, so you are able to remove the animation tag again.

• Events
    • Einheit - A unit Stops casting an ability
  • Conditions
    • (Ability being cast) Equal to Metamorphosis
  • Actions
    • Animation - Remove the alternate animation tag to (Triggering unit)

Level 4
So is the unit in that trigger the transformed unit or the original one? Because idk how to select a unit in the "events" and it has no other option besides the one unit...

Level 26
The unit stays the same one, only its type changes. For events in GUI, you can either select a preplaced unit or add the event later via Trigger - Add New Event, where you can also register new stuff from variables and functions, or you just use the generic unit event that counts for all.

Level 4
Sorry to keep asking questions. I'm new to triggers. When you say "alternate" in the actions, what is it categorized under?

Level 26
alternate is not an action or category, it is an animation tag that may be used in the action Animation - Add/Remove Unit Animation Tag as an input parameter (argument). Click the action, then the second parameter, which is set to gold on default and just writingly replace it by alternate in letters there.

Level 4
So heres how it looks:
"Remove" the "alternate" animation tag to "Vampire".
The Gargoyle is still turning into stone and it is under the metamorphosis ability. For the "alternate", Idk what function to choose if thats what you mean. I don't see a gold. I set the variable to alternate and nothing happens

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.