• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Game Script Contest # 1 : Warcraft III Campaign Plot Spin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 29
under construction

hive-logo-m-png.335473

upload_2021-2-2_18-19-55.png

upload_2021-2-2_18-20-43.png

upload_2021-2-2_18-22-1.png

upload_2021-2-2_18-22-51.png

Contestants must create a game script for a campaign of seven chapters by taking any part of Warcraft III campaign and make a huge plot spin. As examples like Jaina following Arthas till the end and becoming an evil mage; or Arthas not becoming evil thanks to Jaina. Posibilities are countless. Be creative!

other_rules_and_conditions-png.311513

•No submission may violate any of the site rules.
•All submissions must follow the current theme. If an entry does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.
•You must show at least two Work-in-Progress (WIP) of your submission before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours.
•Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
•Judges may not participate.
•Teamwork is not allowed. Feedback between users during the contest is not considered teamwork.

•Your final entry must be in PDF format.
•Your entry must be written as a script (see the example below).
•All entries must be written in fluent English.
•Grammar mistakes as long they don’t affect reading comprehension, they won’t be penalized.
•Absolutely no wide plagiarism. A participant can not copy over and over others participants ideas. General ideas like “Jaina turning evil” or “Arthas not turning evil” are not considered plagiarism if the execution is totally different.
•Your entry must describe a campaign of seven chapters. You are allowed to write an introduction before the start of chapter one and a brief epilogue after your final chapter.
•The chapters can’t be like the chapters of the Orc campaign in The Frozen Throne wich are very long, they should be like any chapter of the Reign of Chaos campaigns.
•Each chapter must contain: a loading screen description, cinematic descriptions, game objectives, dialogues, a gameplay description of the chapter.
•The use of icons and screens are not mandatory but encouraged.
•The description of sounds and music is allowed but it won’t be part of the judging criteria.
•Items , skills and neutral buildings descriptions are allowed, it is encouraged that they are related to the lore and plot.
There won´t be any judging diference between a single player and a coperative multiplayer campaign.
•If you use icons, screens of maps in your entry, make a credit list at the end of your script.

Breaking any of these rules may lead to punishment in the judgement score, up to disqualification from the contest, depending on the weight of the issue. In case of doubts towards a certain rule, you are very encouraged to discuss it in the contest thread so others and judges may help with sorting it out.

upload_2020-12-31_19-28-13-png.371145

upload_2020-12-31_19-28-39-png.371146

This is a script example, I made it in word and then converted it to pdf, you are free to make your own design.

other_prizes-png.311512

• 1st place: 45 reputation points
  • 2nd place: 30 reputation points
  • 3rd place: 15 reputation points
  • Entry: 5 reputation points
  • Judge: 5 reputation points per entry

other_judges-png.311510

[Empty Slot]
[Empty Slot]

other_contest_judging-png.311506

Story Are the characters personalities and dialogues well builded? The plot is attractive, immersive and has good pacing? The plot spin offers new content to the story? There are no forced situations? Are the new lore elements well explained? Does the items, skills, and places enhance the plot? Is the reader getting a bit lost at some point? Are there epic moments? Has an interesting ending? Was the plot of the last chapters predictive? Is the story good so the reader gets the desire of read more? /30
Technichal Does the chapters content described increase in a natural way like it does in a campaign. Is the first chapter the shortest and easiest and last chapter the longest and hardest, while middle chapters act as a natural gradient? Are the chapters cinematics, dialogues, objectives and gameplay well implemented? Does they feel repetitive? Are the secondary objetives hollow or they are well designed to also be key elements in the plot and gameplay? Are the gameplay ideas diferent from the original campaigns? /50
Execution Is the information well ordered, not feeling pilled in a chaotic way? is nice to read? Is the script well designed so a mapper could use it to create a campaign? Does the author make use of writting skills? Is the whole entry carefully designed? /15
Creativity Does the author offers unique ideas, a particular style, that enhances his final entry? Does minor details such as elements of the enviroment help to make the story more alive. Does the story wake up emotions in the reader? Is the story similar to others or it does stand out as unique? /5

• Judgement: 75%
  • Poll: 25%
FinalScore = (25*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (75*Average_Judge_Score/POSSIBLE_SCORE)

other_dates_and_deadline-png.311507

The contest shall begin on XXth XX month 2021 and conclude on XXth XX month 2021 GMT (day is included).

Assigned Staff: [Empty slot]

| Poll | Results

Last edited:
Level 29
Okay so I am going to be a participant.

pending: define 2 judges, and the overall staff approval.
wich I am on it.
the staff / these days may require changes in the thread, so is still under construction but the mayor idea is pretty much defined.

I think signing contestants before the oficial start is usually wise to know how many people is aviable to participate.

feedback is most welcome.
any questions or doubts, please ask, .

Last edited:
Level 11
Okay, I guess this requires far less time than the other ones, so just count me in
Edit: I got some minor issues/doubts:
-How would a WIP be, in this case? There isn't any code or WE thing to make a screenshot. I guess we could just show some parts, but that doesn't ensure the text is of your own (you could just copy-paste some fragments of the text)
-The chapters may be exactly 7? Is it allowed to make fragmented chapters, like in the FT undead campaign?
-There isn't too much influence into some specifical aspects? I mean, I know technique thing is important, but.. half of the total? And only 5 for creativity? I am not sure how it could be tbh, I guess 30/30/15/15, or something like that, just saying it seems pretty specifical right now

Last edited:
Level 29
Okay, I guess this requires far less time than the other ones, so just count me in
Edit: I got some minor issues/doubts:
1-How would a WIP be, in this case? There isn't any code or WE thing to make a screenshot. I guess we could just show some parts,
1.5- but that doesn't ensure the text is of your own (you could just copy-paste some fragments of the text)
2-The chapters may be exactly 7? Is it allowed to make fragmented chapters, like in the FT undead campaign?
3-There isn't too much influence into some specifical aspects? I mean, I know technique thing is important, but.. half of the total? And only 5 for creativity? I am not sure how it could be tbh, I guess 30/30/15/15, or something like that, just saying it seems pretty specifical right now

your questions are very good one.

1) when you convert word to pdf with a tool or an online converter, in pdf mode you can literally copy the whole page.

upload_2020-12-31_19-28-13-png.371145

1.5) the theme of the contest is designed in such way, you cant copy the original campaign, it would be easy to spot, you have to re-write the story,, and I dont think there are plot spin campaings in this site neither. diferent quests means diferent dialogues, you cant just copy paste the 4 obelisk idea of the last undead campaign.
and is more work to play the game to see the dialogues than just make your own dialogues.

2) Usually writting contest has limit of x min x max amount of words. Not going to count such thing. so is a way to fix equal conditions to everybody.

To have a uniform format, the chapter 7 of the Undead counts as one chapter, a chapter can have small parts/ objetives. its also good for a long chapter is one of the last.
that also happens in red alert 3 where one objetive unlocks the next one and so on.

3) Probably the best question.
I think is a good idea to have.
Story: characters, plot, pacing, ending,lore, places....
this one should be the secondary important.

Technichal: related to the script and the chapter design, chapters gameplay and quests, this one should be the most important

Execution: you may have good story, good technichal elements but fail execution. like last star wars triology, you have kylo, you have rey, good characters, you have an intense moment, but the kiss is a bad execution.
you may also have a lot of good stuff but do a chaotic huge pile like again in rise of skywalker.

Creativity: this is subjetive to say what is creative what is not creative.
story, technichal and execution can have objetive analysis
things like emotions, sadness, joy, fear, are hard to analysis you feel it or dont, is very subjetive like flavor and personal taste.
in melee contest creativity was always 15-10 points , and nobody was fully sure what creativity is, since I think execution worth more, thats why I only set 5 points to a very subjetive concept.
wich campaign is more creative Blood elfs or undead? no idea, better executed? oh yes blood elf is not that well executed, is a bit chaotic. lord garithos TD with the units bombing the portal was very ugly, humas dont bomb themself like that, is very against their lore.

look how the last story contest is

80 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • Score shall be taken out of 50 points,
    • 15 for Style
    • 10 points for theme
    • 10 points for pacing
    • 10 points for creativity and originality
    • 5 points for eloquence

Last edited:
Level 11
—Did your questions got answered?
—Yes...
—What was the cost?
—Star wars spoilers...
Anyway, guilt on me for not watching it before
Thanks for the clarification, you got some great points

Level 29
Game Script Contest # 1 : Warcraft III Campaign Plot Spin

maybe someday WCIII golden era will return, Hive will have tons of mappers, modelers, scripters, and cinematic contest will return.

but not these days.

is quite logic to say , a contest with 2 users should not start,

so I decided to terminate this thread.

@Heinvers please close this thread and send it to the submition archives.

Level 12
Status
Not open for further replies.