• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Galaxy Terraining Contest #1 - Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

the%20hive%20workshop.png

galaxy.png

terraining.png
contest.png
number.png
1.png
results.png

WORLD WONDERS

3217271_orig.jpg

Participants are to create a map with (a) great monument/s and wonderful creations of all kind.
Whether or not the origin of said monument is human or otherwise is for the participant to decide.
The name of the contest does not imply that you have to create a "real" world wonder.

You are, of course, free to do so if you want.

prizes.png

• First Place: 45 reputation points and your entry on an award icon. You also get a unique themed rank icon.
  • Second Place: 30 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon

• Participants and Judges: 5 reputation points

judges.png

contest%20judging.png

Mark Mocher

Creativity 15/20
Well done. You've gone for a slightly different concept with your surroundings. All in all, you did well by using Korhal's doodads in various ways. I just think that the trees, or rather the way they've been placed around downgrade it much.

Detail 8/10
While I like the results, I see lots of impurities all over the map. The Zerus foliage is greatly placed however.
I think that you could've worked more on the Ghost Tower since after all. the thematic is about World Wonders.

Technique 18/20
Lovely execution albeit slightly lacking when it comes to the center piece. Probably would've helped better your piece if you would've used Tarsonis' doodads instead.

Aesthetics 7/10
It looks good but the doodads choice brings it down. It looks too new as opposed to a ruined intended look.

Total 48/60

----------------

Murlocologist

Creativity 11/20
The contrasted doodad choice is quite unflattering. The whole creativity factor is brought down by the model choices you've gone for. It is not really there if you know what I mean. I also think that I mentioned that this is a Scenic Terraining Contest and one angle of camera is needed plus a world wonder.

Detail 5/10
The Zerus doodads are not well placed and look quite messed up. The buildings are not that badly placed. They have some minor rough spots here and there. But sadly they're so disordered that I can barely make up something of them. More work is required in this department.

Technique 12/20
Odd and really unusual approach at making a contrasted terrain piece. The models look so disordered with no cohesive work at first sight.

Aesthetics 5/10
I think that you should've gone for an arctic feel for the whole terrain instead and try integrating that in the idea. You once again lack the centerpiece, a World Wonder. Or I am having a hard time noticing it.

Total 33/60

----------------

Racziel

Creativity 15/20
The whole piece was a bit monotone and lacked some color variation. Not bad though.
The portal/obelisk complex did bring a fresh breath to the piece but a bit lacking in color.

Detail 7/10
You almost got it here but the symmetric feel of the pillars and 'torches' down the path makes it lacking slightly. I think that some fog variations could've helped the doodads stand out just about right. I also feel that the floor is a bit barren.

Technique 19/20
Freshly made out of the oven I would say. Almost perfect.

Aesthetics 9/10
The whole terrain has a fresh vibe about it given the interior approach but the atmosphere could use some more elements like minor flashes and fog colors.

Total 50/60

----------------

Tleno

Creativity 13/20
I love it. Has a soviet era vibe to it. I would've looked more into Warsaw's Palace of Culture and Science for more inspiration for the World Wonder. The Skyline however is quite lacking but not greatly.

Detail 8/10
Well balanced terrain details. The industrial feel of your piece really makes the details pop out and have a cohesive way when viewed form afar. I just think, as previously mentioned, that the center piece could have more details. Other than that, well done.

Technique 16/20
Nice execution Tleno. You've brought the necessary elements to the piece so that it may stand out as needed. Not perfect but not bad either. Could've been better with more facilities around though.

Aesthetics 8/10
At first sight it feels empty. That's because of the fog approach, since it cuts out too fast for me. I am not sure what's going on next to the left side of the building. That 'square' is just a no go. It looks weird and throws the surroundings off a bit.
All in all, you were almost there but you currently lack some variation 'round the edges.

Total 45/60

Scoring formula: Js/60*75+Ps/28*25

GTC1 - results.png

GTC1Winn.png

Contest | Poll

Good job to all involved.

Mark & Murlocologist, though... What exactly was your "monument"? Racziel had that crystal thing, and Tleno had that big fat building, but I'm not sure I quite 'got' yours.

This was Mark Mocher's Monument:

Mark Mocher.jpg

My judgement was based on that screenshot angle that he provided and by looking at the map file later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.