• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Frostcraft - Rebranding the terrain

Status
Not open for further replies.

frostcraft-header-b-gif.381184

Frostcraft is a multi-player action RTS designed to reward both tactic and skill.
Enter the unforgiving lands of the north as one of 35 original heroes in a 4v4 fight for supremacy.

overview4-gif.381185

Frostcraft heroes are inspired by Warcraft's iconic classes and races and are designed with no set "role" in mind.
There's always a new strategy to discover or a new way to play your favorite hero.

Other than items and abilities, you can choose one of many versatile pets to accompany you in your battles.
These adorable companions follow you and attack enemies automatically, each with a unique aura to buff your allies or hinder your opponents.

Crystals serve as the map's secondary unique resource.
These precious gems are generated in your base over time and allow you to upgrade or recruit new units for your faction.

As the game progresses, new objectives become the focus of the battlefield.
Aggressive strategies and well-timed offensive maneuvers can turn the tides of the battle at any time.
Slaying any of the four bosses awards the team a powerful orb and adds a special unit to your faction's army.
Contested structures become more important but increasingly harder to defend.

Prelude:
I had the pleasure to be introduced to this map by @Moonman a fellow hiver and a team member on Chronicles of the second war. For a few days, weeks he kept mentionning to us we should try this map somedays... so somedays I did! and I... instantly fell in love with it.

The Coreloop is fantastic, the heroes were fun to play, a lot of enjoyment was to be found in this great game.... it was indeed something special. And just like anything, big Ol' Mr.Goblin the art person guy creator, I thought: ''this map, it deserves a better terrain!'' and just like that I contacted @Kaigar it's creator and I lend him my services. To make this fantastic game as appealing as possible, to attrach as much attention as possible, because it deserved it.

Screenshot_38.png
Screenshot_01.png

THE MAIN BASES
The idea behind the main bases was to crank them up by 10 in terms of decorations. By adding more houses, I wanted to sell the idea of a city, something worth to defend. Kind of like a methaphore of something much bigger then what was seen and let the imagination of the players wonder that the cities would extend outside of the map's outline.
Original
Updated
original
Updated
Screenshot_28.png
Screenshot_10.png
Screenshot_27.png
Screenshot_11.png

THE CREEP CAMPS
The idea behind every creep camps, is to make every, single one of them feel unique and different from the others. Each would have a backdrop that would tell a different story. Or that would give a different vibe or atmosphere.

The wolves
Screenshot_26.pngScreenshot_08.png
Farm in ruin, dead body in the front, pack of wolves roaming. I wanted to tell a small story for this creep camp.

Screenshot_30.pngScreenshot_12.png
The use of the Nightelf Moonwell, overblowned and lowered into the ground did the trick for that area. It gave a unique ruin feel to the region, which made it more unique.

The nerrubian
Screenshot_31.pngScreenshot_07.png
Using craters and placing eggsacks inside them was a cool combo, like if the nerubian crafted the environnement to their likings to fit their desires. which brought a unerving aspect to the scene in my opinion.

The scorpions
Screenshot_32.pngScreenshot_04.pngScreenshot_17.png
I wanted to build a castle in ruins, almost as if scorpions took control of a long last forgotten battlefield and by tossing weapons and shields around created their own nest.

The furbolgs
Screenshot_33.pngScreenshot_03.pngScreenshot_02.png

The dragonspawn
Screenshot_23.pngScreenshot_40.pngScreenshot_18.png
Using Both Hero altars of the Orc and the Nightelf in both instance created a unique setting and memorable area for players to explore. Combining these great models with some well placed lights, made everything pop out even more.

Wendigo
Screenshot_25.pngScreenshot_13.pngScreenshot_14.png
Adding big landmarks is a great tool to aspire wonder and ground the players into the storytelling of a terrain. In this case a broken ship impaled on ice or the remains of a massive dragons.

The Markets
Screenshot_24.pngScreenshot_15.pngScreenshot_39.png
A little bit of colors and props to enhance the story telling, is simple steps a terrainer can take to bring it's terrain to the next level.

The Blockers
Screenshot_29.pngScreenshot_09.png
Sometime, the most boring wall of blockers, can be turned into a very cool setpiece that doesn't distract players from the game, but that gratifys the observer that takes the time to admire the details.

BOSS FIGHTS
Every bosses felt like they needed a more unique setting to make them stand up even more.
Screenshot_37.pngScreenshot_19.png
Screenshot_34.pngScreenshot_20.png
Screenshot_35.pngScreenshot_21.png

Screenshot_36.pngScreenshot_22.png

MISC - OTHER DECORATIVE ELEMENTS
For every creeps, every decorative blockers, I tried to bring unique landmarks that would make every areas of the map unique and easily identifiable.
Screenshot_16.pngScreenshot_06.pngScreenshot_05.png

If you enjoyed this thread, please support us by either trying this wonderfull game or by joinning it's community. :) cheers!
CLICK HERE to download the map
CLICK HERE to join our discord

liked this thread? check this one out! =
World of Sedonia -rebranding a terrain!

Last edited:
Hey this looks pretty nice. I always found it harder to re-do an already existing terrain than to create it from the bottom up, good job.

My only gripe maybe is that the green glow doodads you have used doesn't fit some places, and are a bit too strong. It fits with the spiders, but not with the yetis or furbolgs. Also in one screenshot it's a bit too strong.

That stuff is only nitpicking though, overall it's a great composition and a job well done. One of the better looking HD terrains out there I'd say, and those lamps sure adds a lot to the atmosphere.

My only gripe maybe is that the green glow doodads you have used doesn't fit some places, and are a bit too strong. It fits with the spiders, but not with the yetis or furbolgs. Also in one screenshot it's a bit too strong.

That stuff is only nitpicking though, overall it's a great composition and a job well done. One of the better looking HD terrains out there I'd say, and those lamps sure adds a lot to the atmosphere.

Thanks for the warm feedbacks! The green glow are indeed slightly too strong. I'll fix them. But inside the editor they do indeed look and feel weird, compared to ingame. :D - but noted!

for those lamps. Thank the magnificient @Mythic

Status
Not open for further replies.