1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

From World Editor to Computer Science

Discussion in 'Computer Tech' started by Ralle, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Ralle

Ralle

Owner

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I have been noticing quite a big number of Hive people studying computer science or the like. I have been wanting to participate more, but on most topics, I don't have much to say, so I figured I would create a thread myself.
    I got into programming by making my first map Warhammer 40k TD. You can find it on my profile unless Kael rejected it. I built it with a friend of mine, who knew of Warhammer. I had no clue myself what it was, but he was a great fan of it and I just wanted to be the code monkey and he told me how things should look and what abilities they should have.
    I thought it would be cool with a website for my map, where people could post replays and feedback on the map. I got a free forum and linked to it from the map. As things expanded, I felt the need to move the site to a webhost, where I could change around with the files and I moved on from there. At some point we had a maps section, then later other sections and things just got bigger and bigger. Some day we migrated with wc3sear.ch and I wrote scripts to import their database into ours. I learned most of this stuff on my own or with help from Samuraid, who I picked up along the way.
    I learned these things because suddenly I had a website and I needed to make stuff for it. I learned things as I needed them and this finally brings me to the day where I realize what I want to do for the rest of my life. I want to code.
    Now, I have been on this site for some time and seen many computer science students spawn from World Editor and I find it fascinating.
    I would like you to share your own story if you have one yet.

Ralle

2. Yixx

Yixx

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I started out by exploring the World Editor of WC3, much like you did. One day I got together with a friend and we had big plans for a map. Nothing worked out and I basically wrote shit in GUI. So the same friend already visited this site for models and such, which is the reason I also started to visit. I started to familiarize with GUI and eventually with JASS, which was the start of my love for programming. A few years and a whole learning process later, I started to study Computer Science at Eindhoven University of Technology. Because I also liked Math alot, I decided to combine them into one study, which was possible. Right now, I am in the second year, and I still do the double Major Computer Science and Maths. Though, if I would have to choose, I would definitely choose Maths by now..

3. Ralle

Ralle

Owner

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Thank you for sharing your story. So math, huh? What pulls you away from computer science?

4. Yixx

Yixx

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Nothing pulls me away from CS, not as long as I can do a double major! ;) But I have learned in the past year that maths seems to have a more exact and precise nature and is way more procedural in my opinion, which is what I like alot!

Though I would certainly not want to have to choose, if the time arises to choose between the two, I would choose maths..

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  5. Zakamutt

Zakamutt

Resources:
    Resources:
    There is a lot of overlap between more theoretical comput(er/ing) science and maths, though. They certainly go together; comp sci education around here has quite a lot of math courses.

6. David

David

Resources:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Resources:
    First,2-3 years ago,I wanted to make games(like every child story :p).So I started to do animations in flash,after alot of studying for the program I started to make cool games in flash,but I got bored of it,in the mean time I played wc from when I was 5,I just made some maps there with no triggers...After I qiuted it,I started to learn,more and more for world editor...First I learned how to do the terrain(I still am improving it),then I started with the basic triggers(Cinematics),after that I made campaign's,and spells...I'm still learning world editor.I found a good place to chat with people that do stuff like I do,place where I can learn even more that is The hive workshop :).I want to program,make my own stuff etc...(I hate maths btw D: )

EDIT: I forgot to tell that I did some stuff in C++ but,I got bored :D xD...

7. Yixx

Yixx

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I know Zakamutt, also in here there is quite some math, but there are certainly some courses in the Maths project that I would (now) miss when I would only do a CS major. Also the other way around, I would miss some of the CS courses when only doing maths.

8. Magtheridon96

Magtheridon96

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    For 3 years, I've been doing GUI terribly. Then I came across this site and mastered JASS/vJASS.
    While learning JASS/vJASS, I was learning C++ by reading this book called "C++: How to Program" by Paul Deitel.

I'm quite proficient in the language after about 2 years of writing code and making apps to make my life easier, and I even made a primitive 2D game engine with it.

As soon as I finish school, I'm off to study Computer Science in university.

9. Statharas

Statharas

Resources:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I started off doing Wc3 stuff in 2007, after my godmother gifted me Wc3+TFT.

WE was really new for me, so I kept playing maps I downloaded. I must say, I still remember myself playing the first custom map in Wc3. Guess which.
    http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/warhammer-40k-vs-15-a-76494/
    I found that out a few days ago by looking at the minimap of Ralle's map.
    The very same thing.
    Ralle was the one that brought me here, even if we didn't actually know eachother, or even knew of the other's existance.

After a while of learning GUI logic, I found myself working on a private WoW server which used C++. So I had to learn it. And I did.

Then, a person told me how C# is easier for UI and stuff like that. So I had to learn it. And I did.

Then I found out about the mother of the two, C. So I had to learn it. And I loved it.

So here I am, working on my game in a JavaScript style mono variant inside the Unity3D engine, while having CNC classes.

10. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Started playing Blizzard games with Warcraft II after my cousin introduced me to it. Picked up Warcraft III on release day, became aware of wc3sear.ch in 2005 and started lurking it, later registering. I ended up moderating there and later here (maps, spells, world editor development, and later dev in general) as well as being an official map reviewer on wc3campaigns.net and a highly active JASSer in both communities. I had a bit of very basic programming experience from fooling around on my graphing calculator in Grade 9 math (also 2005), but Warcraft was what really got me into the field. In 2009-2010 I finally got mostly tired of wc3 modding and moved on to other things. Being also interested in math, I decided that CS was the logical option for me, although unlike many/most people here I'm not really interested in game dev as a job.

11. Arcisal

Arcisal

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I used to use my friend's website to post up my own drawings and comics (Not very good ones though). Eventually, I took over the site and along the way I had learnt things from him enough to keep the site going and looking good. Unfortunately I had gotten lazy and the site is now gone.

12. PurgeandFire

PurgeandFire

Code Moderator

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I used to fiddle with Warcraft 2 with the world editor. It was fun, lol. I made massive amounts of lumber and all that and spammed units. Once I got Warcraft 3, I began to do the same. It wasn't until I found GG&K's Dwarf campaign that I actually began to consider modding. I didn't know wtf forums were, but wc3sear.ch looked awesome with the hosted projects, like Day of the Fish.

I began to mod a bit, and then I went to a site called Maps'n'mods ran by Warnicro (Hemlock, on this site). It was a very small community, and I tried to help out with whatever crappy GUI knowledge I had. There was a map to request systems, and 2 other people and I just began to relay between each other to make random systems because no one would actually make requests. One of those people were Jesus4Lyf, and he would always code his systems in JASS. I suddenly noticed coding in JASS was far superior, so I abandoned GUI and went straight on to learn JASS.

I went to thehelper and lurked this site a bit after realizing I had an account on it. I learned JASS over time, learning gradually. I still didn't really even think of computer science, but my brother saw what I was doing and recommended me to look into it. So I began to pick up books and boom, I got into it. So yeah, Warcraft 3 was what sparked my interest in computer science. It doesn't necessarily mean I will go into game dev, because I also love software/app dev, but what JASSer wouldn't like to code for a game? :)

13. Yixx

Yixx

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I think it's funny how, indeed, alot of people here that are serious about a future as computer scientist, aim to go into game development. Myself, I have given up that dream quite some time ago. At the moment, I would most love to get into Crypto some day.

14. Ralle

Ralle

Owner

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Thank you all for sharing your stories. I knew there was more stories to be told.

I remember Warnicro. He was very nice. Where is that site anyway? I just tried searching for it but did not find it.

15. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I played a demo of WarCraft II first, the first time I played it was sooo long ago. Played WarCraft III too, I loved making triggers on maps which had no purpose other than to see units spawning and fighting endlessly. Then I made a sort of Archimonde's ascent map in which I'd control both sides xP
    Back then, I had no Internet.

When I got Internet, I went to Battle.Net and discovered "Battle for Middle Earth" xP and a guy called Sargent-Moose introduced me to the game and helped me discover every mechanism, he was my first BNet friend =) The second was some guy called Bob and then the third was Kenny (I don't remember the exact nicknames for these last two). I was quite the LotR enthusiast, I remember in 8th grade spending the large breaks in the school library reading Lord of the Rings =D just a few days ago I visited my school and went to the library and leaf through the LotR books =') I have copies here at home, but I wanted to feel the nostalgia of having those on my hands, knowing that they had been on my hands so long ago.

I got into programming with JASS, it took me a few tries because I didn't know programming languages at all, I was just trying to understand how JASS worked since people were claiming it was better than GUI. I felt so intelligent when I figured it out x'D

I've always been into computers ever since I was very little, so that's mostly why I've decided to go for something related to informatics and computers.

16. Da Fist

Da Fist

Resources:
    Resources:
    The World Editor IMO is like the, telescope for teenagers
    ( although I'm 12, but that's another matter. )
    to what is the world of programming looks like. Being a pre-adolescent teen, I always play games, like Assassin's Creed and Need For Speed and whatnot, and makes me wonder What if, I try to make games too?. Ideas running wild and Imagination going sky-high, I found World Editor to put my mind into the world of gaming. On my early days of Warcraft Editing
    ( Last year, around October )
    , I saw how fascinating programming is. It started by editing only the Object Editor, then making Primitive GUI Triggers
    (thanks to THW tutorials )
    , to Middle-Class GUI to JASS
    (also thanks to THW tutorials | today )
    . Now, learning Primitive C++ and Java
    ( from my cousin who finished CS. )
    , I knew this was the right college program
    ( and I still need 5 years on HIGH SCHOOL )
    for me, so I set my eyes towards the prize and will head for Computer Science.

-Da Fist-

17. Adiktuz

Adiktuz

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    started modding on offline versions of ragnarok online, then I stumbled upon wc3's world editor, stumbled into this site on 2008, learned that what I was doing in wc3 are super horrible I studied the art of triggering and there I encountered vJASS... TRD somewhat "forced" me to learn it for my first resource which was a missile system...

right now, I'm trying to learn the script used by RPGMaker which is based on ruby...

as for scripting/coding in school, well I'm currently taking up BS Chemical Engineering, bound to graduate this semester but oh well looks like I will be seeing the next semester, and since we in the college of engineering at this university have a subject which focuses on Visual Basic which I'm taking up right now, I've been using VB for maybe more than a year now... made quite a few useful apps myself and helped my friends on their vb projects for that subject...

been trying C++ but so far I can only make simple console-based applications on that... though I can make window-based apps on C++ using Visual C++... but I'd rather use VB for those since C++'s capabilities are far more than that...

that's it so far, aside from VB I haven't had any other scripting language to study at school...

18. Ralle

Ralle

Owner

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    So awesome that you guys decided to reply. Thank you! I think we can expand the topic to artists too. I know a few who actually went into professional art creation, Tarrasque and CRAZYRUSSIAN. It would be fun to get their stories too.

19. supertoinkz

supertoinkz

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Warcraft 3 modding introduced to me multimedia arts and coding stuff. These stuff has been my hobby, doing them in my free time (currently not for Warcraft 3 though, left it a year ago).

I ended up taking engineering. \o\

20. Tarrasque

Tarrasque

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I actually started modding starcraft, I wasn't any good at 3d but I liked to make unit portraits and to play with the editor to make campaigns that never got anywhere. By then ofc I decided I wanted to make games.
    With warcraft 3 I begun learning about low polygon models , animation and texturing, etc. By that time I was already at univ studying Systems Engineering. After making a lot of models, learning a lot about 3d and failing at making a full naga mod time and time again war3 started to slow down and a lot of years had passed, I had already finished univ and had to find a job. Then I discovered that normal work wasn't really fun (database programming, commercial software development,... SAP..hate sap) and that I hated suits. So I quit my job and started working online as freelance 2d/3d artist.

I don't really have any super cool game to showcase yet but Ive learned some objective c and have already made a small game for one client. You can check it out =P a big update for it is due next week:

http://itunes.apple.com/pe/app/arcade-battle-tanks-top-war/id544270665?mt=8

So without all the learning I did with war3 as test subject I would have never got to the point of actually living on my art , so yeah thanks War3 :thumbs_up: