• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

FPS drop at specific area

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpasMaster

Hosted Project: SC
Level 23
Hello, everyone!

For some time now I have noticed that in the beginning (or to be more specific, in a certain area) of the map players (including me) experience spiking. The weaker the PC is, the more spiky it is.

I have taken screenshots of the area and you can see the FPS at the bottom left corner of the screenshots. The first screenshot shows the FPS at the problematic starting area and the other 2 screenshots show different areas where everything is fine.

ruh2.png

pzf.png

rkbl.png

My question is: What causes the drop in the FPS at that specific area?

Thanks in advance!

Level 30
Hmm, judging from it: its either because of the many doodads or decors placed in that specific area but that should not be. I got one more and it might be there are many triggers working INVOLVING THAT AREA. Its mostly that I can think of.

Level 16
Hmm, judging from it: its either because of the many doodads or decors placed in that specific area

Unlikely, unless these doodads are animated. If those grass and shrub doodads sway and move (many custom doodads do), then they will cause lag if massed.

By the way. What is your average frame rate outside combat, and what is your average frame rate in combat? These two are separate. Don't compare these screenshots to gameplay involving no combat. Its normal and expected for frame rate to drastically drop from doing nothing, to engaging in a fight.

And like Hell Master said, try to think about any triggers in particular that might be functioning in that area and/or at that time. Example, special effects or ability triggers. Maybe you preload units, abilities, doodads or something when you walk into a certain area? So you have a region and once entered, a lot of data is preloaded to prepare for the next event?

Status
Not open for further replies.