• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Fortress Builder Team Recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
For some reason I was not able to start a thread in project recruitment. If this is in the wrong place I would appreciate it if an admin moved it.

If you have never heard of fortress builder you can visit the thread here.
Fortress Builder
Please note it is a mature map looking not a new project.

Several people have shown interest in helping me with my map Fortress Builder and I could indeed use the help. First I would like to note that this is not a position for those who are new to map making, I have had a few junior map makers help me and for the most part they have been quite flakey and not very useful. If you would like to help work on the map then you must demonstrate your knowledge through a map you have previously worked on or build a small proof of concept map in the relevant area. The exception to this rule is testing for which I will accept pretty much anyone.

Credit
Credit will be assigned on how much you do and how long you stay. Anything you do will be credited but I won’t call you a coauthor for small contributions. I have been working on this map for about four years now so becoming a coauthor will be a difficult preposition. However I will grant that title or a different title of your choice to you if you contribute a significant amount of work.

Possible positions
Currently I do everything. I know how to do everything I need to do for the map. It’s not a matter of me trying to recruit people to do things that I cannot do but rather one of me trying to get more hands to work on the map. You can of course do more than one of these. I would like to note that I have no illusion of getting someone for each of these posts. I simply iterate over them in case people are interested.

System builder/maintainer
Requirements
Must know Jass and GUI would be useful (allot of the older code is still in GUI) and be able write them decently neatly.​
Warning
Some of the systems in Fortress builder are quite old and working with on them will require you to read some ugly code.​

Data person

Description
This would mostly be about adding new units and data based abilities as well as changing data for balance reasons.​

Requirements
Probably the easiest job available. You just have to be able to work with the data editor decently well and do tedious tasks. Knowing how to use the spell book, channel and orb of slow abilities is a requirement but you can probably just look it up you don’t already know.​

Terrainer
Description
This is probably what I am worst at. Currently most of the terrain of Fortress builder is quite ugly. You would be able to fix this. I would also like to add in a few more forts which you would have totalt creatie freedom to design (so long as they are balanced gameplay wise)​
Requirements
You just have to be better than me with the terrain editor which isn’t hard. Also your terrain cannot be too computer intensive.​

Polisher
Spell checking, bug fixing, balancing, improving presentation that kind og thing probably the most important position right now.​

Requirements
General experience with map editor.​

Tester
This is just someone who repetitively plays the map and points out bugs. I currently have a large demand for people who can test and host as I personally cannot. No real map editor knowledge is required.​

Misc
Anything else you wan’t to do on the map just ask here. Most things are acceptable except “idea guy” anyone who is actively working on the map can contribute ideas but I have no need of someone who does nothing accept give ideas. If you want to contribute an idea just post it on the maps thread.​

TLDR
Mature map looking for moderatly experienced developers to implement new features and polish old ones

Contact
Feel free to post here or email me at [email protected]

Level 6
Its true that this type of map doesn't really require nice terrain but it would still be a plus. I am not going to go out of my way to learn how to terrain well in order to improve the terrain. However if someone else who already is a good terrainer wants to help I would appreciate it. Mostly I made this thread because a few people posted in the map thread offering help.

Level 6
Currently I am the only one working on it. Others have contributed to the map in the past and are in the credits. However I have never had a helper for any significant amount for longer than a week or so. I simply find myself not having enough time to do all of the things I would like to do with the map and that is why I would like help with it.

Level 4
I could take a look onto your map and see what i can do and reply to you back here but i need some unprotected version first so send the unprotected version on [email protected] mail and i'lll reply to you within 1-2 days on what i can work onto your map ... good luck!
Interested in bringing new ideeas to the table and implementing them!

-About me demonstrating map making knowledge i could offer you this : my map is HvO BETA with a 4/5 moderator rating aos genre. Thanks !

Status
Not open for further replies.