• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Footprints

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hate asking stupid questions but I cannot figure this out. As for now, I am simply trying to make a structure be able to build on another structure but as per usual, the editor makes this a hundred times more difficult than it should be.
To do this I understand I need to do the following:

1. Open the data editor.
2. Change the data type to "Footprints" (in the ---Game--- section)
3. Create or select the footprint you want to change.
4. Double click on Layers+ or Shape+ (both lead to the same window)
5. Where it says "Layer" pick "Placement Apply"
6. Click the "Define Sets" button.
7. Uncheck "No Build" for set one
8. Paint the footprint with set one (by dragging your mouse around the black area).
9. Where it says "Layer" pick "Placement Check"
10. Repeat steps 5 through 8

But it doesnt work at all. When I "paint" the pathing it seems like it randomizes parts of it when I close the window. And when I try to assign the footprint to the structure the building just completly ignores it and does its own pathing.

Sorry for the rage haha this new editor is just so damn frustrating some times.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Make sure the game is up-to-date as there was a major bug with the Footprint editor that was fixed.

Remember that buildings have more than 1 Footprint. They have one for placement and one for existence (they use once the building unit exists on the map) for example.

If you are stuck, look at existing Footprints and try and modify them.

Level 1
Hmm what do you mean unlinking the original? Im pretty sure I did though.
I do see that there are 2 footprints for structures and I can edit them both but I get no results :/

EDIT: Ok I just edited the original footprints and I got what I wanted. I still have no clue how footprints work...

The point of this was to make buildings like building blocks...I guess like Minecraft. So a follow up question would be how to do this. The largest issue seems to not only make buildings able to be built on other buildings, but to have them physically on top of the other structures. Then the challenge arises when units climb on top of the blocks and not just simply walk through them. Any ideas? And thanks for the responses!

Last edited:
Level 1
I am not suggesting you have had problems, youre dr super good so you obvioulsy know what the hell youre doing. I for one dont.

An example specification:
A 2x2 footprint for a structure that blocked pathing only around the edges of the footprint. The center of the building should be completely pathable where units can walk on top of it.

So in creating a new footprint I left clicked around the perimeter-creating red areas. And set all the specifications to "no build". What I got was a building that ignored the building grid and allowed units to roam anywhere through the structure.

I have noticed a lot of footprints use "yellow" and even "green" colors in areas but I have no clue as to how to add these.

Status
Not open for further replies.