• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Footman with Beta shield

This bundle is marked as pending. It has not been reviewed by a staff member yet.
Using Quenching's footman model as a base (right model), who uses the shield from the Beta and the textures of a low res doodad, I've upscaled the shield textures, as well as tweaked and fixed the shield animations, and optimised the model and portrait.

If you want to use the standalone version, just import footman.mdx, footman_portrait.mdx and the textures ingame.
If you wish to replace the original model, just import footman.mdx (replaceable version) and the textures in this path: C:\Warcraft III\_retail_\units\human\footman.

Credits to the guys of Quenching Mod.
Check them out here: https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/quenching-mod-latest-v1-5-with-w3n-reader.331686/
Contents

Footman with Beta shield (Model)

Footman with Beta shield - Replaceable unit (Model)

Footman with Beta shield Portrait (Model)

Level 4
The modification/application of the new "Normal" texture, I think generated a relative drop in the quality of the graphic effects of shine and reflections of metals. That old known issue with the new .DDS Normals.
And as for the diffuse texture, this texture remains with the same low quality, you just increased the resolution, which doesn't improve the sharpness as the pixels will be "broken". And in fact, the original texture is very small in the human pack_armor model. Our friend Vulfar gave a tip, to use the "preserve quality" feature, one of the tools of the current PSP, but it didn't have much effect. We needed the original texture of the isolated shield and that, I believe that only Blizzard has it, not even the most archaic patches of Reforged you will find this Footman.
Ps. The shield (as for the polygonal ones) is also a little square, I think it should be longer, according to what it looks like in the BlizzCon2018 videos.

Last edited:
Level 4
I know, the shield still looks pretty bad; but it can't be made better without paying (or being good at texturing). If anyone was able of making a better attempt it would be much appreciated.
Bro, I took a photo of one of BlizzCon's ad covers with a good shield resolution, as an example of one like that, I don't remember the link, but it would be a better picture than this one:

I believe that working on this primitive image with bad resolution, not even a good texturizer will achieve anything reasonable.
1628271581140.png

Creating from a photo: Being with more sharpness, I started to recompose a Diffuse to test in the SD version, at least in this version it was in a reasonable quality. But whenever I tried to transfer to HD, it was bad because of the .DDS Normal that bugged, so I gave up.
1628271429385.png

Last edited: