• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Football BETA!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Taur's Football

Something that I thought war3 badly needed was a realistic football game, certain other football maps had been released and even though it looked like the maker put all of 2 hours into the map it was rather popular (still see it hosted around).

So this is my attempt at doing just that. A football map that is a mixture of warcraft and actual football. The rules are quite similiar to actual football, and people who enjoy football and playing football video games will enjoy it. Yet it has a touch of warcraft, all units have special abilities and you can choose from one of 4 races (more coming) that have specific strengths and weaknesses. While other football games depend on button-pushing micro to dodge defenders, in Taur's Football you can blink, sprint, impale, stun and so much more to get past defenders.

Basically it is a 2v2 map, but it is quite easy to play in 1v1. If you're playing 2v2 it's important to talk to your partner about the plays you choose, so you are both in agreement about who controls what. One person should probably control the quarterback, while another controls the unit you're passing to. On defense you should just split the units. Some people may even find it easier and faster to play 1v1. I suggest you try playing it multiplayer with a friend and not single player because it can be hard to understand.

Features Include:

• 5 different arenas to choose from
  • A somewhat realistic looking pitch with yardage signs and goal posts (thanks Chriz :p)
  • 4 different races with 9 different types of players each
  • Many special abilities for each type of player
  • A customizeable route system which allows you to make your own plays as opposed to picking the same one over and over again.
  • A powerful play system that allows you to choose from 8 starter plays or make and save your own for later use in the game.
  • Gameplay similiar to actual football
  • A reasonably good AI that will manage the units you're not controlling.
  • Realistic football features, e.g. Interceptions, yardage, Kickoffs, Incomplete Passes based on distance and the number of enemies around, Hand-off's,Substitutions, players tiring, etc.
  • A unique multiboard where you can view either the Scoreboard (basic info about the game) or by pressing the arrow (a.k.a. minimize button) you can view the full game statistics including yards per play, possession, etc.
  • A fairly simple 3 minute long tutorial that covers all basic points so new joiners can pick it up.
  • Various other featurs I probably missed here
Coming Soon

• Multiple Arenas (probably just 2), if possible.
  • More races, more arenas
  • Well terrained arenas
  • Sound effects, possible commentator voices
  • A season mode (I'm serious :p thought about it and it's quite possible, more details later).
Help Needed

If you fit for any of these categories please post or PM, more details given then.
  • A fairly good terrainer to help terrain the arenas, a huge amount of detail for each isnt needed.
  • Someone who is good at making announcer voices.
  • Ideas & Suggetsions! If you have any ideas for random skills (even if there's no unit to go with them) then please tell me.
Changelog

v 1.32d
  • Fixed a bug where backward passes to the opposite touchdown area would result in a touchdown
  • Fixed a bug where players could kick backwards
  • RBs have a chance to break a tackle
  • Units are slowed after catching the ball
  • Ensnare cannot target the ball holder
  • Ensnare removed from NE corner
  • Air resistance cooldown increased
  • Darkness removed from NE safety
  • Undead Safety given Hand of Darkness
  • Touch of Death now drains 50% mana
  • Death Coil now slows the ball holder
  • The kicking team starts at the 35
  • Added juke to Naga RB & WR
  • Removed Rough Scales from the Naga Running Back
  • Fixed a bug with switch that caused the target unit to be hidden until the rest of the play.
  • Changed Orc QB to the blademaster model
v 1.32c
  • Weather for the various arenas added, e.g. in the snow arena it snows
  • Plague ward was removed from the Undead QB
  • Corpse Combustion was removed from the Undead Tide End
  • Speed ward was nerfed
  • Force icon was changed (clashed with command aura icon for kodo)
  • The tutorials were shortened but stress important gameplay differences between other wc3 football maps and this
  • Impale's effect changed slightly
  • Speed aura's seal aura was removed and replaced with a normal endurance aura
v 1.32
  • Fixed a bug that did not properly show the cut scene when a kick ends for the 2nd players on both teams.
  • Fixed a bug that allowed units to change thier play, after the play had started.
  • Undead Running Back now has "Thirst for Blood", which devours nearby corpses to increase movement speed.
  • Undead Safety is given "Bone Wall", similiar to ice wall it creates a wall of bone that prevents units from leaving it for 15 seconds or until the play ends.
  • "Darkness" is removed from the Undead Safety and given to the Night Elf Safety.
  • "Disappear" is removed from the Night Elf Safety.
Football BETA! Action!
fb1.jpgKickoff
Player 1 gets ready to kick the ball at the start of the game.
fb2.jpgFirst Play
An example of a normal first play, the Offense sends 2 wide outs on similar patterns and all other players block. The defense blitzs 2 linebackers and drops back to cover the rest.
fb3.jpgAir Resistance
It's difficult to see, but the Night Elf Safety casts Air Resistance to stop the ball in the air for 3 seconds.
fb4.jpgOption
The Offense calls an option play, the Tide End and Wide Reciever block while the two running backs run routes so that the Quarterback can either hand it off or take it himself.
fb5.jpgEnd Play
The Offense tried the option play and it didnt work out so well, 3 yards gained but at least the cut scene was cool.
fb6.jpg3rd Down & 16
The Offense is in a bit of a jam with 16 yards to go and 2 plays to do it. The Defense casts force of nature and meditate to set up for the 4th down.
fb7.jpgInterception!
The Nightelves get a jump on the ball and it's an interception. The Quarterback had to come over to save a touchdown.
fb8.jpgTouchdown!
The next play the Nightelves make the Defense pay for the interception by going 39 yards for a touchdown.
fb9.jpgReturn
On the ensuing kickoff the undead return the ball 16 yards.
fb10.jpgStatistics
Two drives gone, and the stats dont paint a pretty picture for blue.
Please keep in mind that this is a BETA version, dont re-distribute it or host DL onlys yet please and please post all bugs/suggestions here OR email it to [email protected]

Attachments

• footballv1.32dprot.w3x
    395.4 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Level 12
Ive played this alot with Taur during the testing stage, generally owning him.

Football (especially American football) definetly isnt my type of Sport but this adds a very cool edge and some interesting elements to it.

Id recommend the orc race if you like stomping ppl :).
Overall a very fun map.

Level 11
Mm... fulla just likes to think that he owned me, it was fairly close usually and he was host with a bad connection ;)

but yeah that shows what kind of skills you need to play the map. You dont have to be a football genius, Fulla is a very good reflex gamer, so he took advantage of a lot of the micro heavy skills. Even if you dont call a good play, or if the opponent has a very good one, using abilities well can reverse that.

Level 19
This British Football (Don't see the point in it watch guys kick a ball around seems abit gay)

or

American Football (which is kinda like rugby)

EDIT by ragingspeedhorn: Keep your hatred of other sports out of this thread. If you have nothing usefull to say then keep your mouth shut. Also there is no such thing as British Football, it is just football or "soccer" for you yankies.

^ reply to that i am british...

Last edited:
Level 11
v 1.32 released, changelog:

v 1.32 change log
  • Fixed a bug that did not properly show the cut scene when a kick ends for the 2nd players on both teams.
  • Fixed a bug that allowed units to change thier play, after the play had started.
  • Undead Running Back now has "Thirst for Blood", which devours nearby corpses to increase movement speed.
  • Undead Safety is given "Bone Wall", similiar to ice wall it creates a wall of bone that prevents units from leaving it for 15 seconds or until the play ends.
  • "Darkness" is removed from the Undead Safety and given to the Night Elf Safety.
  • "Disappear" is removed from the Night Elf Safety.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 32
It's better to reattach the map to your first post.
It looks like he gave it the "olde college try" but seems to have missed the kick.

Taur: I detached the map from your most recent post and added it to your first. I also reorganized your attached images into a table and gave them (cheesy) titles. There is plenty of room for you to edit each "Safety" (or whatever) description in the table to provide a play-by-play analysis of each screenshot.

Level 25
You can upload it to the map resources and I'll approve it for you if you want, then you can just add a link to the download. Or you can make it easier for the both of us and just reattach the map to the first post.

[edit]:
Oh you did replace it, didn't even see that you replaced the map. Well... well done and good work on your map so far. I look forward to seeing a finalized version of this on BNet some day. Or is this not a beta and is actually the final versions? :O
~Craka_J

Level 11
Well I use the term BETA because I'm not sure about all the gameplay mechanics and there might be some bugs that I might have missed. However, I tried hard to get this as polished as possible before releasing. All four races are complete and you can play the game smoothly with few or no bugs. I have a lot more I want to do with this map though, so it will be a long time before I declare a final version but I did host a DL only on bnet yesterday to get some feedback.

Level 11
Mm.. got some feedback, people are desperate for a new football map after WALK stopped updating his, I only hosted for about an hour or so though but quite a few people DLed. Some people dropped by to comment, said it was a good map but a little bit complicated. Mostly good feedback. People are a bit too used to WALK and expect a map that is basically the same thing, since this is so radically different from WALK it takes some time to get used to.

Level 25
Yeah I can understand that they're used to a another football map. In some ways this does seem a bit complicated, but none-the-less it takes skill and not everyone wants a map to require so much skill to understand the complexity of peoples maps.
So in a way I am in favor of the complex stuff, but I too have not gotten used to this. Probably need to test it a few more times than just once. :p
~Craka_J

Level 8
I tried it Loved it i liked how you could form your own plays i loved the spells to help out your team or hurt the other team. Very well made!
-Yabooer

Level 11
v 1.32c

(check main post for the updated map)

- Weather for the various arenas added, e.g. in the snow arena it snows
- Plague ward was removed from the Undead QB
- Corpse Combustion was removed from the Undead Tide End
- Speed ward was nerfed
- Force icon was changed (clashed with command aura icon for kodo)
- The tutorials were shortened but stress important gameplay differences between other wc3 football maps and this
- Impale's effect changed slightly
- Speed aura's seal aura was removed and replaced with a normal endurance aura

Might not have another update for a bit unless there are some major bugs because

a) school is starting, but I will still have free time to spend on this map
b) the addition I want to make next (2 arenas for multiple games) will take some time to make.

I tried it Loved it i liked how you could form your own plays i loved the spells to help out your team or hurt the other team. Very well made!
-Yabooer
Thank you, good to know people are playing it.

Level 8
ahh that would be fun making serious injuries beable to throw it at the ref or tripping one of them making em bench oooo im liking the game alot better thinking of those possiblities

Level 11
Mmm.. those are the kinds of things that you see in games like madden, it just isnt viable in wc3 especially since newbs will just abuse it. I prefer to not have injuries or fouls because they just serve to annoy people.

I've found a few bugs so I'll try to update soon.

Level 5
i really need to play this map some time.. that test thing made it look really good :)
This British Football (Don't see the point in it watch guys kick a ball around seems abit gay)

or

American Football (which is kinda like rugby)

EDIT by ragingspeedhorn: Keep your hatred of other sports out of this thread. If you have nothing usefull to say then keep your mouth shut. Also there is no such thing as British Football, it is just football or "soccer" for you yankies.

^ reply to that i am british...

you are an idiot
well put rage

Level 11
but yeah that post was old, ignoring it would be best.

In other news, I've been getting quite a lot of feedback from people (apparently NE are imba.. who would have thunk that a skill that freezes the ball would own :p) so I'm working on some balance & gameplay changes. Now for example if a running back has the ball he has a chance to break a tackle, but if he does he is slowed by 35% for 1 second. Also working on making fumbles and the like but I doubt it'll be ready for the next release.

i really need to play this map some time.. that test thing made it look really good :)
:thumbs_up:

Level 11
version 1.32d has now been released, I have also gotten hosting at Clan CBS so if you'd really like to discuss the map it would be nice if you posted here.

http://www.clancbs.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=54

I will still update this thread

numerous changes in the new patch include:

• Fixed a bug where backward passes to the opposite touchdown area would result in a touchdown
  • Fixed a bug where players could kick backwards
  • RBs have a chance to break a tackle
  • Units are slowed after catching the ball
  • Ensnare cannot target the ball holder
  • Ensnare removed from NE corner
  • Air resistance cooldown increased
  • Darkness removed from NE safety
  • Undead Safety given Hand of Darkness
  • Touch of Death now drains 50% mana
  • Death Coil now slows the ball holder
  • The kicking team starts at the 35
  • Added juke to Naga RB & WR
  • Removed Rough Scales from the Naga Running Back
  • Fixed a bug with switch that caused the target unit to be hidden until the rest of the play.
  • Changed Orc QB to the blademaster model

Level 11
This map will really rock,but you got to work on it every day and not let it down.Like most map makers do.
And i would really like to test your map,if your having problems with map testers;)
I work on it every weekend really, or when I feel I have something I really need to add. Most of it is just inspiration, it's fairly easy to make something once you figure out what you want to make. And yeah I have problems with map players ;) just play and if you see any bugs tell me.

Status
Not open for further replies.