• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Flowchart Contest: Video Game Script

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 35
Or something along those lines.

I've been thinking about this for a bit and I think it could be fun, and it's something pretty much anyone could enter; A contest revolving around writing a video game script, for modding obviously. I know the hive isn't exactly home to a lot of scribblers, but every good mod needs a good script or a good story or a good idea and I think we could all benefit from exersicing a bit in this area. Diversity is a virtue, and what could be more diversifying than having a wiriting contest? A proper one, not a novel writing contest, but a contest about trying to write a game, or campaign or just a fun idea.

Thoughts?

Level 29
this is just an example.

Chapter 1: Wolf Hunt:

I woke up in the midle of the mist. My head was hurting me a lot. I was hearing voices, my legs were numb to barely walk. I heard a wolf, it was near. My hand was holding an iron dagger, I was shaking of cold. The mist was so dense I couldnt see. I found some sort of ruined stone covered with moss.
The howl was coming closer. Howl, silence, howl again. Silence, and no more howls. I could hear the dance of the grass, something was on the move.

The ghostly voice said:

WOLF WARRIORS MUST PROVE THEMSELF AGAINST THE FURY OF THE PACK!

And the wolf came from the shrubs and bit my shoulder, I lost my dagger so I had to use my fist. The wolf retreated, but another one came and hit my leg. I fell in the ground, I managed to spin over my body and avoid his second attack. The third wolf aimed his fangs to my head, I was faster, avoided the attack, and hit his belly. The third wolf retreated, I recovered the dagger and I stood my ground.
The second wolf was staring at me. Those cold eyes were burning to get me.

The battle was only begining...

(insert the chapter 1 bla bla bla battle and ending)

Chapter 2: Wolf Maiden Clan

(Insert many lines bla bla bla here).

The Wolf Maidens scorted me to their clan, they offered me food and water. They treated me as one of their own. Only women are part of the Wolf Maidens. It is an ancient but strong wolf clan. Strong like the Silver Fangs or Frostfur clans.
They told me they were in open war against the night elfs, figthing for the domain of the forest. The night elves were taking control of four main streams of the rivers, making the hunt harder for the Wolf Maidens. I was in debt with them so I promised to help them to recover the control of the four streams.

(Insert bla bla bla, and AOS here)

Just some ideas:
1) for a video game script (perhaps) divide the text in chapters.
2) wips the progress of the text.
3) feedback allowed.
4) set a min of 2 pages and a max of 10. or some sort
5) the script could be considered for either the game or cinematics of the game.
6) story can be based on pre-existant lores (like warcraft, lord of the rings, dark souls) or it can be totally new like The ghost clans of Farandurmur.
7) judging criteria like:
grammar,
creativity,
character building,
lore elements (clans, reliqs, places...).
fun factors: action, drama, love, treason

Last edited:
Level 29
I was also thinking in this idea that helps both the writer and the reader to
1) more fun
2) less time writing the character aspect so to focus more in the action and plot.
3) more easy to get inspired, first set characters, then make them dance and battle.
have the text script but also choose like, a min of 3 characters and a max of 20, or some sort, and put wc3 icons of this site, (there are tons of icons to be used)
so is more atractive to readers to read, and is more easy to get inspired to write.

example

Story: The Wolf Clans and the Conquest of Ashenvale

Characters icons:

Wolf Clans Factions:

1)Ichel , Chosen by the Ghost Wolfs
181102-ea9b6f132e0b852d460775f669a6171a_tn.jpg

2) Calista of the Frostfur Clan
104600-21982388aaab51cb129e7af41b0f86ef.jpg

3) Lycaos of the Silver Fang Clan
105241-94c14ad0ebb514544768a6b6162c31bf.jpg

4) Jessania of the Wolf Maiden Clan
173366-958b453a8485b81cd7d22ddbfb11c951_tn.jpg

Night Elfs Factions

1) Tiger Rider Arallas of Starfall House
156954-d83728613f798d1325bb324a52c0ec73_tn.jpg

2) Sentinel Thallysa of the Raincrest House

104257-6de43af832bfe67b46f9a09fbb1893b4_tn.jpg

3) Mage Uldryn of the Black Owls House
109570-0700d9f084049694fcee079faf1e83be_tn.jpg

4) Druid Thagon Stronghelm the White hermit
167879-7f16e99be04c5e8bf82bb62b94c4b74e_tn.jpg

and for the criteria also put, is the character selection, fit the story, is personality well builded, character diversity, personality diversity
also is a nice way to interact with others things of the hive such as , the icon production.
and perhaps iconeers will join this.

Short Story Contest #8 - Knife-edge [Lack of activity]
Contest Lists

another thing, lets call it Short Story Contest Nº9 Game Script (or some sort)
but lets use the title
"short story contest" and "number 9" so to resurrect the trayectory of such contest and maybe keep it flowing from now on. sadly the number 8 was aborted and there was no more writting contest since then,

@Mythic what do you think? lets try to revive the Short Story contest that fell to the botonless abyss of forgoten in 2011?

Last edited:
Level 35
another thing, lets call it Short Story Contest Nº9 Game Script (or some sort)
but lets use the title
"short story contest" and "number 9" so to resurrect the trayectory of such contest and maybe keep it flowing from now on. sadly the number 8 was aborted and there was no more writting contest since then,

Thing is though, short stories and game scripts are very different concepts, that would be like making a playable terraining contest and naming it a "mapping contest" just because you make both in the editor. We can certainly talk about bringing back the short story contest, hell I might even consider entering, but I don't want to mix them. I would prefer "Game Script" to be it's own thing, because it's more related to modding/game development than a short story usually is.

I'm working on the contest template right now, I'll post it some time in between christmas and new year, then we can talk about the theme and general composition of the contest :)

Level 29
Thing is though, short stories and game scripts are very different concepts, that would be like making a playable terraining contest and naming it a "mapping contest" just because you make both in the editor. We can certainly talk about bringing back the short story contest, hell I might even consider entering, but I don't want to mix them. I would prefer "Game Script" to be it's own thing, because it's more related to modding/game development than a short story usually is.

I'm working on the contest template right now, I'll post it some time in between christmas and new year, then we can talk about the theme and general composition of the contest :)

I understand.

I would sugest that the "game script format" should be as flexible as posible, the restriction of freedom may end in lack of interest (that what happened in the terraining contest 21 and story contest 8 , freedom was very restricted.

An example of a game script should be shown in the frontpage but, to encourage users to do the script in the way they consider better for themself.
An example would be like this

-Story:
a long text to explain the lore elements, characters, ideal to be a normal narrative text like any book. and how everything reach the current point of conflict
here there can be a list of characters with icons and descriptions regarding faction lore, past and gameplay skills,

-Main Intro cinematic: a best eye candy situation to sell the campaign, like wow intro cinematics, Anduin and Sylvanas in the battle of lordaeron.
-soundtrack of the cinematic (here we can put youtube links to script wich music will create the drama or pace of whats going on, (like victory, the death of a character, entering a ruin, an overwhelming attack.

-Chapter 1

- main soundtrack of the chapter during gameplay, diferent gamplays may have different soundtracks, is not the same a dungeoning chapter than a siege chapter.

-Introduction: here will be loading text of the chapter
The wolf traveled from Kualandor to the Grove. There they met a mayor resistance of night elves.

-Short Gameplay Description:
The wolf clan forces are gathered in the south of the city and they have to launch a mayor asault on two night elves bases in the north.
(The game will be played as a normal melee map)

-map base to be used (aprox): link of a map that could be used, can be either a melee map, an aos template, or custom terraining template map.

-Initial Cinematic
-soundtrack of the cinematic
-brief descrition of the enviroment
-dialogs and character actions (such as attack or walk).

- Initial Main objetive

-minor dialogue events not related to quest.

-Discovery of a new objetive: Secondary cinematics and or Minor dialogue events.

-End of an objetive: cinematics or minor dialogue events

-minor dialogue events not related to quest.

-Ending cinematic
-soundtrack of the cinematic
-brief descrition of the enviroment
-dialogs and character actions (such as attack or walk).

Chapter 2

repeat all previus stuff of chapter 1

I sugest a wide theme please, the main challange for this contest will be to learn and make the script fun to read at a nice pace.
restrictive themes should came later.

Last edited:
Level 29
I figure we'll make a poll and let the majority decide.

So, start firing off theme suggestions ;)

Loading creativity ammo.
Warning incomming barrage of theme ideas, take cover.

I will divide my ideas in plot ideas (selfexplaining the plot, story,), and mechanichal ideas (regarding gameplay)

my ideas are ment for a campaign like any warcraft 3 campaign or for a single long scenario like Rexar campaign where the first 2 chapters each one is a mini campaign itself with like 10-15 quests and side quests.
I tried to think wide themes

Plot Ideas:
1) The Taste of Treason: one of your main characters is going to commit a treason against others. Either you treason your comrades, or some of your comrades betray you.
2) I am a Rebeld: your main character decides to rebel against his own faction for X reason at some point of the story.
3) Warcraft III - Mayor Plot Spin: Take any part of the Warcraft III campaign story and make a mayor plot spin, like Arthas not turning evil and not holding frostmourne. Trhall remains in eastern kingdoms and join forces with the humans against the legion. Rexxar does open war against the orcs.
4) A new WCIII adventure begins: take our beloved heroes of warcraft 3 and make them go to a totally new quest. Like Thrall and Jaina travels to Ungoro Crater to defeat the evil fire elementals lords.
5) A huge Mistake: one of your main characters makes a huge mistake (not wishing it of course) at some point of the plot, that really affects in a negative way their own faction and objetives.
6) Such a Tragedy: the story develops and end with epic deaths of many of the main characters.
7) A love story: two of the main characters develops a sentimental relation at some point of the plot. And they lived happy forever, or sadly they never see each other again.

Mechanichal Ideas
1) Game diversity: each chapter, or part of the game has different types of gameplay ( RTS Melee, AOS, Isometric RPG, Turn Based Strategy, TD, Survival, Gather Resources, boss fight with phases, puzzle dungeoning...)
2) Gear up: the script put a lot of importance in heroes adquiring new gear/items during the flow of the story.
3) I have been here before: during the game or chapters, there is a moment where you have to play the same area twice, but of course with different objetives.
4) Class Shuffle: make use of the warcraft 3 heroes, but change their class. Make Jaina a sword Paladin, or make Maiev a Forest Druid. Focus the script in the heroes class and the learning of new skills during their history.
5) Choose your destiny: at some point of the story you can make a choise that affects the gameplay and plot. Example side with the Wolf Clan or side with the Bear clan. or decide to defeat aerial enemy forces or defeat land heavy forces for the next part or chapter of the game.
6) Restart for a Side Quest: the side quests play a mayor role in such way, that not doing them makes the gamplay ugly more harder. like protect your ally base
7) New Faction: one of the factions of the story is totally new. Like Troll and Night elves join in a new clan and live together figthing the naga or humans, elfs and orcs becomes servants of Dragons in the Draconic Empire.
Or the orcs are servants of a night elf witch ( mark of chaos expansion).

so what do you think?

I didnt dare to set space opera themes in a restrictive way but they can be done unless wc3,

Last edited:
Level 29
the strong point of this type of contest is:
1) it doesnt require a lot of time
2) it doesnt require a lot of brain cells (seriously mapping can burn out people).
3) is fun.

I have this material so people can see how a script can be done in many fun ways.

upload_2020-12-31_19-28-13.png

upload_2020-12-31_19-28-39.png

Level 11
This idea looks very promising, isn't exactly about most Hive theme, but still an important part of modding. Also, I already got into writing before (but not in English, so it would be something new and challenging for me) so... yes, this looks great. If it gets a reality, count with me as a participant (also, it doesn't require any coding, so I could actually get a chance against all of you, you extremely experienced and skilled modders...)

Edit: Just read about the template getting posted between 25 and 31... is this still a thing? Almost a month passed, so I am slightly scared

Last edited:
Level 29
Game Script Contest # 1 : Warcraft III Campaign Plot Spin
This idea looks very promising, isn't exactly about most Hive theme, but still an important part of modding. Also, I already got into writing before (but not in English, so it would be something new and challenging for me) so... yes, this looks great. If it gets a reality, count with me as a participant (also, it doesn't require any coding, so I could actually get a chance against all of you, you extremely experienced and skilled modders...)

Edit: Just read about the template getting posted between 25 and 31... is this still a thing? Almost a month passed, so I am slightly scared

:) , dont be scared, is a thing, I still need to set the judges and get staff approval but, is on the good road.

Game Script Contest # 1 : Warcraft III Campaign Plot Spin

Last edited:
Level 29
maybe someday WCIII golden era will return, Hive will have tons of mappers, modelers, scripters, and cinematic contest will return.

but not these days.

is quite logic to say , a contest with 2 users should not start,

so I decided to terminate this thread.

@Heinvers please close this thread and send it to the submition archives.

Status
Not open for further replies.