• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Floating Text Limit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Hi all,

So I spotted an issue with my map on the weekend but haven't had a chance to properly look into it. To make it all make sense you use a gun that fires automatically, if the bullet hits an enemy it deals damage and floating text appears for the damage it deals and another for points you earn.

It's 4 player but I wasn't sure how to make text only appear to the owning player without a leak?? So it hits the issue of text simply not appearing because there's too much text on screen. If I could filter it to only the owning players would that help or is it per map rather than per player??

Currently my only solutions are to make the text only appear to the relevant player (if that makes a difference), reduce the duration of the text, or remove the points text (which would halve the text amount).

What is the limit?? I read that symbols make less text available? Each time a gun fires it has a "sound" which is just a word with stars either side (like *this*). Then also guns that crit show the crit damage with the stars too. Anyone got suggestions??

Level 39
Make every floatinftext for every player otherwise the handle table (or whatever assigns handle ids) will get out of sync when you create one locally for a player and the plates will desync. You can choose to show them for specific players by doing
  • Set MyText = (last created floating text)
  • Set MyPlayer = Triggering Player //Or whatever
  • Custom script: if GetLocalPlayer() == udg_MyPlayer then
  • Floating Text - Show MyText
  • Custom script: end if

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
One can create floating text locally for players without causing a desync. They use a reserved address range in the handle table. Even if it does cause a desync one can recycle exiting floating text tags and change their position.

Floating text limit applies to all floating text. The limit can even be reached with critical strike or resource harvest messages.

Level 39
One can create floating text locally for players without causing a desync. They use a reserved address range in the handle table. Even if it does cause a desync one can recycle exiting floating text tags and change their position.

Floating text limit applies to all floating text. The limit can even be reached with critical strike or resource harvest messages.
Thanks for the information!

Status
Not open for further replies.