• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

FlameThrower Spell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
I'm trying to figure out a way to make a spell that sends out a constant stream of fire ofut of my hero. I tried a few things but i've given up for now. Anyways here's what i want my spell to look like.

My pandaren guy uses his breath anim. Then he stays that way and the contant stream of fire starts coming out from his mouth. Any unit's cought up in it will instantly ignite, taking X damage per second, and also be damaged every second by the actual flame wave until they get out at which point they stay ignited until the buff goes away. I origionally intended for it to be controlled with the arrow keys, being when he initiated it. He'd go into the breathing stance where the screen locked on him and you could make him face any directending on the arrow keys (left and right to make him turn and stuff)

Now i tried making some triggers that would simply cast constantly a bunch of really week Breath of Frosts which would deal the small damage per second, and also give the ignite buff i wanted. The problem is i can't get a good animation, and also, the buffs seem to stack which is not what i want because it deals WAY too much damage like that.

I also had the idea of simply making unit's with immolation at certain points to make somewhat of a solid, movable line of fire which would sort of resemble a constant wave, although it would't really look nice. Perhaps if I only used, say 5, models and looped their movement, (ie trigger them to advance and once they go a certian distance, they simply start from the begining and continue like that)

Here's what i mean
H= the hero
W#= the unit that makes up part of the constant wave

HW1W2W3W4W5
HW5W1W2W3W4
HW4W5W1W2W3
HW3W4W5W1W2
HW2W3W4W5W1
HW1W2W3W4W5
etc. etc.

Aside from my ideas Does anyone have any ideas on how i could make this without the lag, or if my suggestion above could work?

Level 4
If you dont really need the igniting part then you can do cluster rockets with archmage missile art. Makes a cool effect.

Level 10
Well there's a spawning effect just like that that i could use,It's called flamethrower, but it isn't centered. except it's not big enough and not centered. Does anyone know how to center the model so that i simply have to attach it to my pandaren's mouth?

Level 3
u can make it with point with polar offset or cos(unitfacing +/- 10 degrees) for the point to appaer, i have something likething for my contest hero.

Level 10
actually, i;d tried that and it didn't give me the desired effects but now i tried something different and the skill works perfectly. It's a bit more intense-looking that yours because i actually increased the emmition of the emmiters for the effect so mine looks bigger and fuller but thanks for the tip anyways. The spell itself is now done and instead of adding the contant burning buff, which cuases too much lag, i've made a %chance to burn trigger which works better with it. I might post it up later if i get the chance.

Level 8
You don't have to do any of the above, it is much simpler..just use triggers, BUT, This may be a _little_ advanced..I mean big..It may seem like a lot, but please...after you place the first few commands, start CnPing!:

Code:
Untitled Trigger 001
    Events
        Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    Conditions
        (Ability being cast) Equal to Animate Dead
    Actions
        Wait 0.01 seconds
        Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the chest of (Casting unit) using Abilities\Spells\Other\BreathOfFire\BreathOfFireMissile.mdl
        Wait 0.01 seconds
        Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the chest of (Casting unit) using Abilities\Spells\Other\BreathOfFire\BreathOfFireMissile.mdl
        Wait 0.01 seconds
        Wait 0.01 seconds
        Wait 0.01 seconds
        Wait 0.01 seconds
        Wait 0.01 seconds
        Wait 0.01 seconds
        Wait 0.01 seconds
        Wait 0.01 seconds
        Wait 0.01 seconds
        Wait 0.01 seconds
        Wait 0.01 seconds
        Wait 0.01 seconds
        Wait 0.01 seconds
        Wait 0.01 seconds
        Wait 0.01 seconds
        Wait 0.01 seconds
        Wait 0.01 seconds
        Wait 0.01 seconds
        Wait 0.01 seconds
        Wait 0.01 seconds
        Wait 0.01 seconds
        Wait 0.01 seconds
        Wait 0.01 seconds
        Wait 0.01 seconds
        Wait 0.01 seconds
        Wait 0.01 seconds
        Wait 0.01 seconds
        Wait 0.01 seconds
        Wait 0.01 seconds
        Wait 0.01 seconds
        Wait 0.01 seconds
        Wait 0.01 seconds
        Wait 0.01 seconds
        Wait 0.01 seconds
        Wait 0.01 seconds
        Wait 0.01 seconds
        Wait 0.01 seconds
        Wait 0.01 seconds
        Wait 0.01 seconds
        Wait 0.01 seconds
        Wait 0.01 seconds

Big, huh?
The special effects can be put on as many times as you like; each one only lasts for .01 seconds after the first..you would almost have to spam the trigger editor..as seen above. :lol:

Level 10
Sorry man, but your triggers outdated. Your's would lag too much because of all the contant special effects that are being created.

BTW I'm already a pro with triggers so what you put down, isn't exactly "advanced".

If you want to take a look at my flamethrower spell, it's in the Download section.

Level 10
Ok guys, if you all haven't noticed, my spell is done, I'm happy with the results, and if you want, you can dl it and use it to your own hearst content, but there's no more need for discussion, perhaps some comments on the finished product.

Level 3
I think i can make that Work...
i have an idea who could work i try it out first, then i send it to you. ;)

Level 3
Well The One who can solve that Problem is Mega Pro.

Heres my version of Breath of Fire (Instant)
Look under my name [Spells]

Status
Not open for further replies.