• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

First Time on the UTM...thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
So, I've been helping my better half with the map we are making together by doing the terrain. As we've been making the map together and live in different timezones, I've been working on the terrain during the times he's asleep.
When we're both awake and he's doing the cool coding stuff, I've been trying to improve on my terrains. They all look "warcraft-y" for now, but this is the intention, given our map looks like that too. (So, don't expect something really HD from this! :p)

I've attached some images of my first time using the UTM 4.0 that I used to make a small, snowy area.

Any comments, recommendations on how to improve would be really appreciated! The help would mean a lot, hopefully it'll help me make some nice areas for Sky and I's map!

I haven't quite figured out lighting yet, but this is my first experiment with terrain fog and multiple weathers. I figured I'd take it one step at a time! The screenshots that I have edited slightly in a photo-editor just for fun have been watermarked in the bottom right, just to give them a slightly sleeker look.

Attachments

• edited 2wm.jpg
    edited 2wm.jpg
    461.6 KB · Views: 168
  • edited 3wm.jpg
    edited 3wm.jpg
    403.7 KB · Views: 148
  • edited wm.jpg
    edited wm.jpg
    410.4 KB · Views: 144
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    219.3 KB · Views: 159
  • mountain side.JPG
    mountain side.JPG
    228.6 KB · Views: 173
  • cabin 2.JPG
    cabin 2.JPG
    255 KB · Views: 151
Hey, it looks nice, you're on the right path to making something moody and interesting but I noticed you mixed trees that are HQ and the ones from Warcraft, I would not recommend you doing so. I would instead replace the original Warcraft 3 trees with HQ ones, also add in more grass, rocks a few interesting details that will spice up the experience for the player.

Also the river looks extremely boring in sense that it is empty, you can add water streams on top of the water to make it more interesting, rocks, ruined pillars and etc...

Another thing I would work on is the terrain height levels, I suspect with all the trees, the location is somewhere in the mountains, to make it more realistic, try adding big cliffs, huge slopes, this will spice of the depth of your terrain a lot.

Finally, I would deepen the fog, usually when it's cold and snow, the fog is more present.

Hope my suggestions help you out in your further work, good luck and keep us updated. :)

Level 36
Those angles are very artsy and neat,
but maybe you should show us some
wider angles so that we can better see
what there is to comment on.

Currently I see a relatively empty terrain
with few details except buildings, trees
and elevation. You should play around
more with foliage, shrubbery, tiles and
doodads.

Status
Not open for further replies.