• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • ✅ The POLL for Hive's Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Vote for the TOP 3 SKINS! 🔗Click here to cast your vote!

First Screen Submission

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hello.

This is the first thing I've accomplished since I joined this site earlier today.

It's a part of the first level in my RPG that I've recently begun working on.

I would describe it as a magic or fresh spring. It's just a start but I'd like to know what people think. :cool:

Attachments

• SS1.jpg
    SS1.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 201
Level 15
hmm, first things I noticed wer the Blizzard trees, blizz trees don't look good at all, use a custom model instead.
Also, grass doesn't grow when submerged under water, change the tile under the water to rock and some dirt or something else besides grass.

Level 2
Thanks for the comments.

Let me start off by saying that I like both of your terrain showcases. And I'm glad that I got replies from people who are skilled.

I haven't done much with the editor in a long time so hopefully with a few more warm ups my terrain will greatly improve and get back to what it was some time ago.

Cinematics and camera angles are not my specialty so it's kind of hit-and-miss there for me. I do agree that there were way too many shrubs, I've downed the number alot and personally am much happier with the results. They still seem numerous, but from a top-down angle, as would be in game, it's not that noticable.
The top right corner is a small village. Which once I complete the whole map I'll show images of as well.

As for the crappy stock doodads, I apologize. Like I said it's been awhile since I have really worked on a serious project and have yet to update my models collection and such. But thanks for the comment on the grass in the water, I didn't even think of that. My main goal was to just make it look as lively as possible, grass seemed natural. But I'm glad you caught that it was not right at all.

This is the update. Tried to improve on all things mentioned. Please, keep the comments coming. I can't improve without it.

Attachments

• SS2.jpg
    SS2.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 158
Level 2
^ I add that to my comment xD

Lol thanks. I think I fixed everything save for the tree models which I will most definitly get to.

I plan on getting a general overlay of the map done before implementing all final models and such.

Level 15
Stop stealing my comments void, at least rep me for 'em :p

Anywho, let's see. Looks better now that you got rid of most of the shrubs. However, the fact that the flowers on the side of the path cut right off and then it's empty between the flowers and the shrubs there, find something to fill that gap.

Level 2
Okay, I think I solved the gap issue. I like the addition of the lillypads, I think it looks much better.

I hope it solved the gap issue you guys were talking about.

The angle is a little different, I hope that doesn't detract from the imagery. As I said, cinematics aren't my thing.

As a whole how would you guys rate the general area of the screenshot? Amateur? Decent? I'm just curious as to how much practice I need to get in to get myself back to par.

Attachments

• SS3.jpg
    SS3.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 147
Level 34
It's not too bad. Better than Blizzard campaign terrain. Although the trees are a bit ugly. Not too bad from birds eye, but horrid at n angle. I wouldn't say you need to remove them, but it's a thought.

The "improved" terrain is not an improvement. If you like the lily pads, keep them, but I would remove them.

Level 2
If the lily pads didn't detract from the "gap" then I guess I don't quite understand what gap is being discussed.

Why would you remove the lily pads?

Last edited:
Level 2
I guess. I think my only reservation about that is that you're assuming that they grew up out of the stone and wasn't moved by some other force of nature, i.e. wind, rain. But I suppose I understand the issue.

Improvement?

Attachments

• SS4.jpg
    SS4.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 126
Level 2
The flowers don't really look natural in a line like that. Maybe, just maybe, if you take them out except for 1 or 2 and then put in some low fences? like in this pattern (ignore the letters and !'s)

(FOUNTAIN)
~~|PA|~~
~~|TH|~~
~~/ ! ! \~~

I think I gotcha, you're talkin' something like this?

To Nudl9, this is only the first map. It's tiny. I won't even fill the whole thing. =P

Attachments

• SS5.jpg
    SS5.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 78
Level 20
Thats better but there are still too many shrubs. And flowers.
I dont add a lot flowers, because I dont like them in same place, but try to have 4-6 flowers around the fountain maybe.

Btw that rabbit is awesome! :smile:

Its way to better.

Level 2
Thanks for all the comments.

Here's a river I made for another part of the first chapter in my RPG. I tried using waterfalls to give it more of a flowing effect but I'm not sure how much I like it. Atleast not in a single frame shot.

What do you guys think?

Also I'm glad you guys think I finally got the other area down =D

Attachments

• SS6.jpg
    SS6.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 91
Level 34
The dikes on the river need work. Smooth them out, and lower them a bit. Or flatten the top.

Level 2
Okie dokie. Well, I was a few steps ahead of ya on that one :wink:.

How does this look?

Attachments

• SS7.jpg
    SS7.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 100
Level 2
I added some more details. Rearranged some stuff to try and look better.

Can you be any more specific about what you don't like, Your? It really wasn't done randomly...

Attachments

• SS8.jpg
    SS8.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 87
Level 34
[off-topic]Your ass, have you any terrain to show off? Don't want to seem rude or anything, just curious[/off-topic]

Level 2
Alright =D. Thanks Happy. I'll work on that.

I appreciate everyones help.

I've got to leave here in a second but I'll be back to post an update later this evening.

Again, thanks for everyones help.

Level 34
[off-topic]Calm down gilles :p, Your ass is, many have said, a very good terrainer. Believe me.[/off-topic]
I wasn't trying to say he wasn't or anything. I just noticed he only has 3 posts, and chose the terrain forum for those three. I figured he must be a terrainer, and was wondering what his stuff was like.

Level 6
Good as a first terrain, but the river needs a background it just ends at the left side. Also adding some fog would make it look more interesting

Level 6
Looks good. I do have a couple of stipulations though. Like others said, the flowers need to look less "perfect" and more natural. Don't put them in a line and make less of them maybe. Also, the shrubs just stand out and ruin the whole thing. Either replace them with a better grass model or change the coloring of them to match with the grass tile, that would make the whole picture look a lot better.
Other than that, it looks like the others have helped you improve it a lot better, and you yourself have been very good at taking advice and using it to improve, and for that . . . + REP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.