• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

First Attempt at Modeling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Just started messing around with 3DS Max and tried to make something. Just looking for some advice and comments to help me get better. This is my first attempt making something so keep that in mind when your looking at it. I haven't gotten into texturing yet, still learning.

FirstAttempt.jpg

Took your advice and added smoothing modifier to it. I didn't really intend this for WC3 so the polygons are ok I suppose. The axe blades I forgot to delete the Polygons before I merged them but I decided to leave it, but it does make that weird line when smoothing.

SmoothAxe.png

Second attempt to make something. Added stats from Milkshape 3D and this time I made it simple so it should work in WC3. It's a Scythe if your wondering.

Scythe.png

Didn't know if I can post this next pic, but its a model. Decided to try something new and more advanced. Again let me know how I am doing so I can get better.

WiP.png

Woot, finally got around to learning to texture. Made a chest attachment for villagers, however I still haven't figured out how to finish it so it works.

TexturedArmor.jpg

Last edited:
its cool for a first try!

its a lot more creative than most of the other first pics :p

you should keep in mind what it is for.
will it be seen up close like you make a fps game?
then the polycount could be fine, otherwise its too high (like a normal attachment in wc3 has a lot less polys)
you should always post the poly count with your pics!
also you might want to look into smoothing groups...

i did a little paintover for ideas what i mean...
redistributing the polies a little wouldnt hurt the eye but would benefit the engine!
the wc3 engine is very old thus you cant go highpoly on a little attachment.

Attachments

• FirstAttempt.jpg
    FirstAttempt.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 138
Level 3
Yeah when I started it I just wanted to get the motions figured out. Got used to the controls and this is what happened, its far from great but I think for a first attempt it turned out nice. I made some mistake and I admit that. Going to work on some other stuff and try to pull the poly count down so I can hopefully make it for WC3. My requests were not getting done so I started to model and do it myself.

Level 3
1048 Triangles is what MilkShape 3D says. Might work on a few lower poly stuff for use in WC3, only problem is I am not good at texturing.

Level 5
1048 Triangles is what MilkShape 3D says. Might work on a few lower poly stuff for use in WC3, only problem is I am not good at texturing.

Nice.
Good luck trying to get it to work ingame though. I am having massive issues right now, which i wont be able to fix :sad:
Theres just no model converting tutorials that make sense out on the web. And noone would give a clown like me directions anyway

Too much strange jargon for me on this board lol

Level 3
Yeah I attempted to put something in game I made but never got the hang of converting my models for use even though I have all the tools and followed tutorials to the letter. Sucks I cant texture or these would be fun to use ingame.

Level 3
I am using 3DS Max 2010. Wife works at a university and the 3D art students all got a key for it and she managed to get one for me. Just trying to make it simple so it can be used for WC3. I don't know what the limits are for an attachment but I think it might be good.

Level 3
I am 24 years of age. I have 1 daughter of the age of 4 and a son that is 2. This year in October is my 5th wedding anniversary.

doesnt matter, does it?

Well, then you want to use Blink's NeoDex Script (in this forum, one of the stickies)

there is a help file in it which pretty much explains everything!

so what do you want to use as a texturing program?

photoshop is nice, but i dont think muhc of the 3D function, but thats just my personal opinion
but if you draw 2D u will get seams -.-
But learning ZBrush or Mudbox would take some time, too
Maybe you want to try Maxxon's Bodypaint?

Painting wc3 skins isnt THAT difficult, you only need to put layer on layer on layer of paint and just ...
Its... tedious...
But if you want to go for a more realistic look you could always use "render to texture" in max...

ABout the smoothing groups: I dont mean you should add a modifier to the whole object at once, go into the edit mesh or edit poly modifier, select the faces you want in one smoothing group and then choose another (deactivate the current and activate a new one)
this will give crisp effects between those parts, underlining that there is other material starting (now it looks like one blob)

Level 3
For Textures I have Photoshop CS5 if I wanted to make textures but there's other parts to texturing I need help with so I will save it for another time. I didnt add a smoothing modifier to the whole thing, I did each one separately by only highlighting the parts you mentioned. That was just how it turned out.

Last edited:
Level 49
Wow, we got someone with a family here in the Hive? :p
Well, I'm not sure if you are aware, but most of us are high school or college\university students here.

Now, lets see. The first model(the axe) looks nice for a game like Oblivion. 3DS Max 10 as a whole isn't suitable for Warcraft 3 modeling, I suggest using Milkshape, or 3DS Max 5\4 if you want to model for Warcraft 3 in the future.

The scythe looks great and the tris count is good as well, definitely suitable for an attachment! I suggest you wrap it to an in-game texture.

The girl mesh looks nice, although her stomach is a little fucked up, and of course, it's extremely high-poly.

The chest attachment looks cute. Could use a few extra details, but otherwise it's pretty nice. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.