• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Fantassy map deviating from the standard tolkein stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Hi, I'm currently doing an RPG map, with conflict around every corner. Basically its going to be a pvp RPG with arenas, battlezones, world wide war etc etc. However, I'm still working out the races. Thinking of deviating from the standard Human,Elf,Dwarf VS Undead,Deamon,Orc boring crap.

It doesn't really have a name yet, think SilverLeaf RPG will do fine, named after my studio and the capital human city its gona feature.

Any ideas welcome, this one is gona drip with lore. Maybe an all human and all elf kinda stint kingdom VS kingdom? I don't know. Just don't want to make 'another' fantassy RPG. I'm not a novelist but I've thought out and (yeah I know its kinda wierd) RP'ed out my imaginary kingdom and I think its finally time to put it into reality. Virtual reality of course.

Its going to feature twitch based combat (combat model already reserched and proved possible), real dungeons, quests and of course, WAR!!! The exact method of war is yet to be decided, but theeoratically players should be able to influence the world via domination points which are save/loadable. its gona be wierd and sometimes, unbalanced but I'll work something out...

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The heroes should be mercanaries hired by the conflicting fractions to help push their side to victory.
Basically, the heroes primarilly fight NPC heroes of the other fraction (which act as the ballence buffer) but can fight eachother. The dominance points should influence the power of the fraction (how large) that the team the player is on controls, however enemies to the team do gain advantage to keep it fair.

The key is to not lock people down with fractions and to make it feel merc like. It also should aim for neutral ballence, where by NPC elements try and force the game to a stalemate making for intense play. Also you could make it so that the game need not always be PvP with this and so everyone can be on one side (A play mode or something) and have to face strong NPCs.

Level 10
Hmm very interesting thoughts there. Maybe I'll create an option to switch sides with penalties to the team with more people (exp rate penalty, handicap, I'll think of something.
At the moment its 2 teams trying to gain domination of the entire map, WoW style but with towns actually changing hands. Think that but in third person cam, twitch based combat (NOT shooter, thats impossible to pull off well) and with central battlegrounds where both sides have npc spawns attacking each other. There are also NPC patrols in the open world that will periodically engage each other.

Level 10
Level 9
Humans only. No elves, no dwarves, no orcs, no goblins. Might take a lot of imports, but I'm sure it can be done.

Make it as gritty as the WC3 editor will allow. Gritty storyline. Gritty characters. Politically-minded kings and emperors, rather than supremely just and righteous ones.. If there's going to be an ending, at the VERY LEAST make it bittersweet, and not "everyone lived happily ever after."

Just my two cents :)

Level 10
Heh has elves, but I think you will like my PvP madness one coming up.
And doc I may think about adding in a overhead view mode that gives bigger (much bigger) field of view to rightclick-move in but suffer -100% attack speed or something.

Level 7
Humans only. No elves, no dwarves, no orcs, no goblins. Might take a lot of imports, but I'm sure it can be done.

Make it as gritty as the WC3 editor will allow. Gritty storyline. Gritty characters. Politically-minded kings and emperors, rather than supremely just and righteous ones.. If there's going to be an ending, at the VERY LEAST make it bittersweet, and not "everyone lived happily ever after."

Just my two cents :)

Wow man, pretty cynical.

Status
Not open for further replies.