• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Fan Art] Card Compendium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
I had a weak moment yesterday night and made some Legendary Card mockups of popular characters from WoW lore.
I was going to animate them like Blizzard did with theirs but got lazy and made the effects static.

The mock up art + slideshow:

Credits of card art as follows:
Slawomir Maniak
Raymond Swanland
Ruan Jia
Graven Tung
Wei
Yanmo Zhang
Doug Alexander
Glenn Rane

Cards in text stats:
Nefarian : [ul]Mana [9] Attack [8] Health [8]
Card text: At the end of your turn, copy a card from the opponent's deck and put it in your hand.[/ul]
Sindragosa : [ul]Mana [9] Attack [8] Health [8]
Card text: Freeze ALL characters at the end of your turn.[/ul]
Hakkar the Soulflayer : [ul]Mana [7] Attack [4] Health [4]
Card text: Battlecry: Deal 3 damage to ALL other characters and gain +1/+1 for each damaged character.[/ul]
Gahz'rilla : [ul]Mana [8] Attack [6] Health [5]
Card text: Deathrattle: Equip a 2/2 Mallet of Zul'Farrak.[/ul]
Baron Silverlaine : [ul]Mana [5] Attack [4] Health [4]
Card text: When a friendly minion dies summon a 2/2 Lupine Spectre with Stealth.[/ul]

Unobtainable:
Mallet of Zul'Farrak : [ul]Mana [4] Attack [2] Durability [2]
Card text: Whenever a minion dies, giver your minions +1/+1 and this loses 1 Durability.[/ul]
Lupine Spectre : [ul]Mana [2] Attack [2] Health [2]
Card text: Stealth.[/ul]

So, how do you like the cards ? Would you imagine them different ? Would you think they are OP or quite on the contrary ?
And what are the cards you would like to see in the game ?

Last edited:
Pretty awesome cards.

Sindragosa - Seems like a pretty solid card for board control. It pretty much forces the opponent to deal with Sindragosa (either silence or kill) using whatever is in their hands. If they don't have anything for it, they're stuck. It would be fun as a mage. It could even set up some face ice lance damage on the next turn. :D In general, it would be great for a mage since they usually rely on spells more than board units anyway.

Nefarian - Really strong/fun. It has comparable value to ysera due to the card draw. Although, I don't see it as OP since it can be BGH'd down. Still, it would be something I'd put in my deck since you're guaranteed to get value from it.

Hakkar - Situational, but potentially valuable. Perhaps it could get value in a deck like giants, where the minions are high hp and can afford to take the damage. It is an insanely good card to counter zoo decks though (although, if you live til turn 7 against zoo, you are likely winning anyway), and that weird minion pally deck. It'll likely get taken down, but if you can get value from the AoE, it is worth it. If you'll still have board presence besides hakkar (e.g. giants), it'll be even better.

Baron Silverlaine - Pretty balanced legendary. It is kind of like a soul of the forest + board presence (+ stealth). I could see it being really strong for zoo decks and rush decks, since you pretty much have to kill the baron before killing anything else. But it is still situational, similar to the cult master. To guarantee value, you have to sacrifice units that same turn. Although, unlike the cult master, this guy has 4 hp, which makes him a lot more viable to be placed without worrying about triggering his effect.

The lupine horror might lead to some nasty combos, but eh, that is what you have geddon for (and hakkar :p).

Gahz'rilla - tough call. The effect seems a bit underwhelming for an 8 mana card. Silencing him would be pretty effective. To get the best value, you'd have to kill two enemy opponents with the mallet up, and you'd get an effect like cenarius'. But boy, that'd probably be fun as a hunter. If he dies, you'd have fun with doggies. :) Otherwise, it could definitely work with token decks. But I think the 8 mana cost makes it a bit situational since you can't get it going that early, and some removals will really suck.

I might post cards later. It is pretty fun to think some up. Overall, you did a nice job matching the effect with the lore of the character, so kudos for that.

Level 17
I intended Gahz'rilla to be beast actually, but couldn't be arsed enough to replace the card template once I realized the beast tag is missing.
I cut on his stats a bit because the Mallet sounded strong on paper, but yeah somewhat a mish mash of a weak Tirion and Cenarius because he is a neutral.

Hakkar is a baron Geddon that can also be used somewhat offensively instead of just being limited to heavy control decks.

Either way, not very jelly of Blizz for having to design the cards. Once you sit down and actually try to design them yourself it quickly becomes pretty hard to make something unique that is also good enough for people to play it but not strong enough for it to be OP.

Level 8
Sindragosa seems op, basically forces hard removal by spells, would be more balanced if instead of an "at end of turn" it was a Battlecry. Nefarian seems pretty cool, basically a Thoughtsteal style Ysera. Hakkar seems too similar to Deathwing imo, since it's a board clear with decent stats, tho at the cost of stats quite as good as Deathwing, it has lower cost and no discard. Baron Silverlaine is insanely op imo, as it can be comboed with Warsong Commander or Master of Disguise to basically destroy the board. Gahz'rilla seems a bit underwhelming to me, since it dies so easily for an 8 mana creature. Overall though, they have pretty cool abilities, and even though they're not entirely balanced I'd be interested in how they would be played in the meta.

Level 17
Baron Silverlaine is insanely op imo, as it can be comboed with Warsong Commander
Lol, didn't think of this. Yeah it would create an endless loop of Spectres, it would probably require something to not allow the Spectres to attack that turn something like a 0/2 with +2 attack at the beginning of the turn that would wear off at the end of the turn and reappear at the beginning of the next.
That is a good catch.

And yeah Sindragosa/Hakkar do seem quite OP Sindragosa being THE freeze mage card everybody would abuse thought she was meant more like a card that would force the opponent to use his burst on her instead of your face, I already thought of Hakkar only gaining +1 health per a damaged character instead with 4/3 so he would generally end up as 4/5 on full board clear.

Level 8
Lol, didn't think of this. Yeah it would create an endless loop of Spectres, it would probably require something to not allow the Spectres to attack that turn something like a 0/2 with +2 attack at the beginning of the turn that would wear off at the end of the turn and reappear at the beginning of the next.
That is a good catch.

It reminded me of the 10/1/1 charge Undead Boar with Deathrattle: Summon a 1/1 Undead Boar I saw on reddit. 1 mana Shield Bearer hard counter though.

Level 8
High Inquisitor is insane for such a cheap mana cost. Imagine it in a priest deck with Northshire, dat chain reaction to heal everything to full and draw. Or with Buzzard + Unleash for tons of armor. Nightbane seems a bit meh, unless you're running AoE against aggro.

Level 12
I assume Sindragosa's ability apply to both players? How is the freeze intended though? Like only to prevent charge I assume since the freeze would normally wear off by the time a non charger could attack anyway.

High Inquisitor is insane for such a cheap mana cost. Imagine it in a priest deck with Northshire, dat chain reaction to heal everything to full and draw. Or with Buzzard + Unleash for tons of armor. Nightbane seems a bit meh, unless you're running AoE against aggro.

Maybe it could be like the effect can only occur once per source per turn, so after drawing once from a buzzard/northshire/cult the effect wouldn't fire anymore (during that turn) but dropping two gnomish inventors would make it happen twice since a different card would cause the draw the 2nd time.

Level 17
I assume Sindragosa's ability apply to both players? How is the freeze intended though? Like only to prevent charge I assume since the freeze would normally wear off by the time a non charger could attack anyway.
Yes it does apply to both Players and it will actually freeze both charging and normal minions, normal minions will miss a turn and charging minions will only be able to attack minions the next turn like a non-charging minion would.
I actually tried this with a mage deck by freezing my own charging and regular minions when played.

It is still really strong for stalling decks I guess, but the idea is that it will prevent burst damage (FoN + Savage roar or Leeroy) or soak up a removal.

As for Whitemane, I wanted something lowbie so she can combo up the turn you play it (in decks like Priest or Warrior or mage with Acolyte) but maybe she is way too easy to combo like this ? Maybe 4 cost 4/3 or 5 cost 5/4 so she is harder to chain ?
I'd rather not limit the amount of triggers allowed per turn because I wanted her to be like these super gimmicky wombo-combos, maybe reduce the amount of healing/armor to 1 per trigger ? But then I think the effect would be a bit underwhelming for classes that can't abuse card draw that well.

Status
Not open for further replies.