• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Extreme frustration with models

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Okay. I love making maps and having fun with models and skins, all that good stuff.
I changed over to SC2 editor because I wanted to expand and try something new. My first impression is that it is over complicated and tedious. PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I got out of it.

Now on to the point. I have been trying to import a model from WoW, and I have followed various tutorials that are out of date and don't work. In Warcraft three there was a simple way of doing things once you learned how.

1. I can't find the model of my imported character
  2. I can't create custom units, they are always missing their model AND missing even the option to change the model.
  3. I can't seem to make a unit a hero.

Please come to my aid before I uninstall this thing and never use it again.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
1. Import it in a path similar to all other models. If the model is correctly formatted it will be there and will appear in the previewer.

2. You need to give custom units an actor. Unlike WC3 where units coupled both art and game mechanics, SC2 separates them to improve cohesion. Unit data specify how the unit should behave in game while actors are then responsible for specifying the unit art. The unit actor (a type of actor) is linked to a unit using the actor events field on the actor (the actor owns the reference to the unit). A side effect of this is that you can completly change unit models at any time without having to change unit (eg you could make a zergling grow into an ultralisk without dealing with unit morphs).

3. You need to use a variety of behaviours and abilities to recreate a WC3 style hero. The advantage is you can better customize your hero (eg 5 attributes with no EXP) but obviously this comes at the cost of longer setup time.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
You cannot edit the paths of existing game files. You can however edit the path of files you import in the import manager (where you import them).

To get the path of an in game model you can go to the data editor Model catalog and then try and change the model for any piece of data (brings up a selection window which mentions the path).

Like with WarCraft III, you may need to completely shutdown the editor and restart it for the models to show up properly.

Actors often reference Model data. Model data defines how the game should interpret a model file.

Level 8
I cant see the paths anywhere. When i try to change the model it gives me a list of units ingame, not the paths

EDIT: Found it found it found it. Ill be back.

EDIT#2: ok i have got the models down, but now for some reason the textures aren't showing. :p

The models are working fine when I use a path. But when I use a path the textures don't show up on the model.

Edit: Found it also. Cya soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.