• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Exponential/Split TD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Hi all,

I've never really tried making a TD but I thought of an idea which I think could be cool? It would mix elements "Split TD" (I think it was called) and "Splatter TD"

My idea is that each unit killed would turn into the unit of the previous round, so killing a round 2 enemy would turn it into a round 1 enemy that would continue to run around the map. So a round 10 enemy would have to be killed 10 times to really remove it from the map. - this bit is the "split TD" element

& the second part of the idea is that the layout would be a circle (or square) that the units run around constantly, and if there end up being too many enemies still on the map you lose - this is the "splatter TD" element, I think other TDs have used this before

I just wondered if people would find this a fun concept?

Level 28
It has the potential to be excessively frustrating if every unit splits on death, that should be a unique property of a single unit type (e.g. some units fly, some units are immune to one type of damage, some units split on death, etc.).

There was one TD game where a unit that made it past the towers was teleported back to the beginning of the lane, giving you a chance to kill it (the game had regenerating health for the central building). Maybe you could do something like that, or add a variant (such as becoming stronger every time it's sent back or gaining a random ability that makes it harder to kill).

Level 13
Yeah I did think it could be frustrating too if not handled correctly - hence I thought I'd ask before making anything.

I think I'd like to play around with the circle lane idea over lives though, just what to do to make it a bit fancy!

Status
Not open for further replies.