• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Engery Towers - Chain Lightning Upgrade & Ability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Alrighty! I'm trying to create a chain lightning upgrade that allows the Energy Towers from Human Campaign to chain between targets.

I've already got a upgrade that's link to the towers and researchable at the lumbermill.

But it's ability isn't functioning as intended.

Tried hijacking the lighting attack as it chains for the towers but it removes the attack effect from the towers and doesn't chain.

Chain lightning spell does seem to partly work but doesn't automatically replace the towers attack like burning oil would and attack automatically.

Lightning attack has been placed within abilities and it's respected upgrade that is used by the tower.

Would anyone happen to be help me figure this one out as it's rather annoying as it's my last tower to get working.

Level 12
Look at the night elf Huntress. That thing has bouncy/chain attack. See how Blizzard have done that.

The skill/ability is just a dummy. The bouncy attack comes from the unit attack itself.
There should be tutorial around how to do it. Most probably in "General Mapping tutorials" as it should not involve any scripts.

regards
-Ned

Level 11
I don't think it's possible to combine bounce attacks with the lightning attack graphic.

If you want damage to still respect armor/etc, use bounce attacks like the Huntress/etc and change the projectile art to a regular projectile. The shaman attack projectile would work fine.

If you don't care about that, you can cast the chain lightning spell every time it attacks (either via dummy caster or using orb of lightning, though notably the latter is buggy when it comes to auto acquiring targets).

Level 12
I don't think it's possible to combine bounce attacks with the lightning attack graphic.
Probably not with the chain-lightning or proper lightning and not with the same effect, but there are some units that use lightning-like attacks, usually instant; one of the Revenants and Lizards I think ?
With enough bugging around a very similar effect should be achieve-able.

regards
-Ned

Level 11
Thunder Lizards and Chimeras, yes. There's an ability that replaces their attack with the lightning one.

That ability supports any projectile art replacement, so it's useful for any dynamic projectile system.

Missile (Bounce) does sadly not work with lightning effects.

The simple solution is to use: "Item Attack Black Arrow Bonus", change it to a unit ability (it is an item ability), and change the "Effect Ability" to a custom version of "Chain Lightning".

The slightly more advanced version is to create a dummy unit on attack, and order it to cast chain lightning on the attacked target. But this works best with a damage detection system and requires triggers and a dummy caster unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.