• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Spell] Elunes Grace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
I have a question about Elunes Grace spell.

It is a passive spell which when editing you can fill a value "Damage Taken (%)". Does this reduce all damage taken?

Why I ask is because in the spell tooltip it says it only reduces Piercing damage taken.

If this only reduces Piercing damage, do any of you know any other passive spell which could be used to reduce damage taken by x%?

I have tried Spiked Carapace but even when i put "Returned Damage (%)" to 0, attacking enemies still takes damage, so it wont work.

Thanks for any help on this :)

Level 11
Hmm.. not armor I am after as it scales down the higher your armor gets :/ in the beginning 10 armor might give 10% damage reduction but late game it gives around 1% damage reduction. I need something that reduces 10% damage through the whole game.

Level 11
Actually that's not quite how it works. No such mechanic exists because it would conflict with armor in the same way armor conflicts with itself. Each point of armor is calculated separately - so for example, if every point of armor gives you 10% damage reduction, 10 points of armor isn't 100%, because it works like this: The first point reduces damage by 10%, so if you take 100 unmitigated damage you're now taking 90 mitigated; the second point reduces that 90 damage by 10%, so instead of reducing it by 10 it reduces it by 9, thus leaving the incoming damage at 81; and so the third point reduces damage by 8.1; and so on.

The same would be true of any other % damage reduction. If you have an ability that reduces damage by 10%, and 3 points of armor that all reduce damage taken by 10%, the net result is the same as if you had 4 points of armor.

Similarly, damage block from Hardened Skin reduces damage before armor, thus diminishing the effects of your armor because it's a % reduction of a smaller number. Which is the same reason evasion is much stronger on characters with low amounts of armor because dodging 100% damage doesn't matter if you have 50% damage reduction anyway, but that's slightly off topic.

tl;dr just use armor.

Level 11
I suppose if that is how it works then armor works, just looks boring with a passive ability which gives armor but that will have to work then :) thanks

Though the best would be something that reduces all damage, since spells doesnt get damage reduction from armor, but anyway, I'll just stick with armor for now.

Level 11
it would probably work with triggers somehow but that is not my strong side :p its too bad that Spiked Carapace returns damage even when set to 0, else that would have worked perfectly. Perhaps I could use it and make the ability reflect some damage aswell with the damage reduction, might make it overpowered but its a solution atleast :/

Level 11
Yeah, but that wont work like I want it either hehe :p but I went for the Spiked Carapace and added a small damage reflect to the spell aswell, think it will work out ok. But thanks for all the help on this :)

Level 11
It's strange that Spiked Carapace returns damage even with the value set to 0. Have you tried Spiked Shell (the very similar, neutral unit based ability)?

Status
Not open for further replies.