• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Import] Effect not showing up ingame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Well, i downloaded this - red thunder clap - imported it, and then i saw it working, animation plays in WorldEditor. I attached it to an ability called 'Axe Slam', the Tauren Chieftain slams his axe into the ground and damages nearby enemy units and buildings.
Problem is, there is no animation/effect ingame. Why?
I check'd the field Art - Caster, and the imported effect is in there. I tried with a string 'origin' and without it, but no avail. Still, when i put the effect on the Art - Special field, it does shows up ingame, but i mean, it effects EACH enemy unit that is in range of the slam. It shows up on the units' feet, but is supposed to show up under the Tauren.

Edit: Oh, and if it matters, the ability is based on Pulverize.

Level 25
Pretty sure spell effects only show up if they show up on the spell they're based upon.
Pulverize uses the Tauren Spell animation to do the "Shockwave" effect and no effect.

So that's why it doesn't show up.
If you want the spell to show up you should base the spell off Orb of Slow, set the spell to not be an item ability and create a custom ability of Thunder Clap, set cooldown to 0 and set the Orb of Slow ability to be the custom Thunder Clap ability.

Level 6
Pretty sure spell effects only show up if they show up on the spell they're based upon.
Pulverize uses the Tauren Spell animation to do the "Shockwave" effect and no effect.

So that's why it doesn't show up.
If you want the spell to show up you should base the spell off Orb of Slow, set the spell to not be an item ability and create a custom ability of Thunder Clap, set cooldown to 0 and set the Orb of Slow ability to be the custom Thunder Clap ability.

What? Orb of Slow or Thunder Clap? Can't merge those two abilities into one. Editing them separately is no use, when i need an ability to make of.
And Pulverize uses the Tauren's 'slam' animation, not 'spell'. Anyway, those two effects are supposed to be close to each other, as they smash their weapon onto the ground.
Edit: Just how to do that?

Last edited:
Level 6
I did what i was supposed to do. Nothing happens. The Tauren is not slamming his axe at all now.
1.png 2.png 3.png 4.png

Edit: Da heck happened to the quality...

Last edited:
Level 25
Ok tested some around.
Seems like it only works with direct target spells, like thunder bolt, chain lighting, etc.

So yeah, sorry about that :)
You could use the Impale ability, tho that will only affect units in front of the caster.

Otherwise you're going to have to trigger it. Ask someone else on the site, I don't have any more time right now!

Level 6
Ok, how? Some trigger that trigger the effect showing up? The Tauren smashes up his axe > trigger makes effect show up on caster of that ability....
wait, wait, it gets too complicated for such a simple thing....
Ask? Who? :D

Level 25
Basically you detect when the tauren attacks, rolls a random number, if the number is 1 then you create a dummy unit that casts thunder clap.

Ah just create a request thread for a spell like Pulverize with a custom effect.

Level 14
Well, i still need help with it. Anyone? Pulverize with custom/imported effect? Possible?
Supposedly, Tauren use this ability, it has 15% change to damage to all nearby enemy units using custom effect "Red Thunder Clap"

1. You need the dummy to cast Thunder Clap(this is where you add Red Clap custom effect)
2. A passive spell which does nothing (Ex. Devotion Aura in the testmap), change its icon to Pulverine passive icon, add it to Tauren.
3. An active spell for dummy unit, will add to the dummy later (Ex. Thunder Clap in the testmap)
4. A custom trigger which gives a change to create a dummy in position of Tauren when it attacks, then cast red thunder clap.

=> So yeah, there is no way to add a custom effect to passive with changes (such as Pulverine), except other directly cast spells.

Here a test map, to see how it works, it's very easy to understand:

Test map - Thunderclap | HIVE

Level 6
No, this is not working either, because, there is need something to start the effect of, and i ain't talking about triggers or anything else, than the fact, that this skill is bein' learned at level 19, then upgraded (Level 2) at level 37. Those triggers right now... the game won't be having idea when, what, why, how TF things are happening. There has to be trigger, connecting to the ones in this last testmap, but it gets even more complicated. There has to be triggers now, learning Tauren the skill (against my map rules), then turning on the trigger that is in this testmap. And then, once the hero reaches level 37, it will be even more f*cked up. I only asked if it's possible, not if it's possible to make it even more complicated. I know it is. To make it more complicated i mean.
Seems it's gonna stay this way. Hell, this ability didn't even had a sound effect. Now it does, it least i managed to fix that, somehow.
Some admin can feel free to lock this up. For there is no hope....

Level 25
You have 1 trigger, the one Ungret posted. You keep this one for all the levels.
You can then do a check for what level the ability of the triggering unit is, and then increase the level of the dummy ability for the dummy unit.

Not sure why you're so afraid of triggers, if you're going to do Warcraft 3 modding you're going to have to use triggers.

Level 25
Here, I even fixed the map for you including fixing the leaks and making it a hero ability.
All you have to do is copy the abilites, the dummy unit and the 1 trigger to your map.

Attachments

• Pulverize With Lvls.w3x
    22.3 KB · Views: 63
Level 25
Open your map.
Open the spell map.

Go to Object editor.
Select dummy unit, CTRL + C, Go Window->Your map.
Go to object editor.
CTRL + V.

Repeat for the abilites in the spell map (2 of them)
Then just copy the trigger folder called Spells in the spells map to your map.

Level 6
Now, nothing happens. At all :D Just forget it, i will move on to next heroes and maybe compensate for it somehow.

Level 6
Ofc. not, no way to run two editors. As far as i know, at least. Just nothing happens when he slams his axe now. Even the sound is gone...
Just drop it.
But i still cannot wrap up my mind about, how does the original Pulverize (the one the Tauren is using), does have an animation? :D Must be some internal coding.

Status
Not open for further replies.